You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 14 - Prostitute

Neemo wrote:

Written by Paul Tobias and Axl Rose, first performed live on Dec 16, 2009 at the Kyocera Dome in Osaka, Japan.

Originally leaked as Song #2 and for some reason was likened to a sequel to nightrain by "insiders" I don't get that at all...maybe it's just me...Prostitute was also pegged as "one of the big guns in the vault"

Theories of song meanings are: about the fans, about Stephanie, about Slash...maybe I'd like to throw Dylan into the mix too as a muse...the song supposedly dates back to 1998-1999

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'll never forget how much I disliked this track when it leaked. It also caused me to laugh because it was obviously Prostitute & was nothing like us fans expected. The debate over the song title is funny to this day. Fans just didn't want to believe that song was the big gun.

This leak really caused the myth balloon to deflate. I understand why they were so pissed about this leak. Prostitute was a huge selling point for the project. After that the only truly mythical track left was This I love which dated back to the old band.

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Originally leaked as Song #2 and for some reason was likened to a sequel to nightrain by "insiders"

By people pretending to be insiders. If only we could purge those people from forum history.

I wasn't found of this at first, but it grew on me afterwards. I like it now, just not as much as "There Was A Time" and "Estranged" ect. It's probably the definition of an album track, it would not work on it's own as a single.

It's interesting that assuming the pre-2007 cover of the track listing was real, then this wasn't intended for the first album. We might not have even heard this if it wasn't leaked.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Oh it was destined for CD. Every mythical track made it to the album. It was a few years later when song titles like The General, Atlas Shrugged,etc. reached that status.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Listened to CD twice the other day. It's a pretty good closer, better than I remember it. Perhaps not a big gun, but solid and epic in its way. Definitely an "album track".

Expectations is what killed it imo.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

Oh it was destined for CD. Every mythical track made it to the album. It was a few years later when song titles like The General, Atlas Shrugged,etc. reached that status.

Would have to check whispers but I would say most of the 'mythical' tracks were kept off CD. Of the Big Guns people used to refer to I'd say TWAT, Prostitute and possibly Catcher were the only ones to make it. The General, Seven, Thyme, Oklahoma, Atlas, Leave Me Alone all remain unheard.

In an alternate universe we may have got those all on one album but I think the leaks had a big say on what made the cut.

Sky Dog wrote:

The General, Seven, Thyme, and Leave Me Alone aka Soul Monster were all mentioned by Beltrami in 2002. I imagine they will be pretty epic with orchestration etc like TWAT and Prostitute.

As for Prostitute, love it both lyrically and musically. Perfect closer to the album. TWAT, IRS, Madagascar, and Prostitute are probably my favorite songs on the album.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Would have to check whispers but I would say most of the 'mythical' tracks were kept off CD. Of the Big Guns people used to refer to I'd say TWAT, Prostitute and possibly Catcher were the only ones to make it. The General, Seven, Thyme, Oklahoma, Atlas, Leave Me Alone all remain unheard.

In an alternate universe we may have got those all on one album but I think the leaks had a big say on what made the cut.

That's how I see it too.

Sky Dog wrote:

CD is definitely the "leaks" album.....as Axl said, it was the album that "made it through the red tape"...

Sky Dog wrote:

"What I know is it's the record that was able to get through the red tape and get itself out there while helping friends, loved ones and myself along the way."

Board footer