You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: GnREvolution Chinese Democracy Elimination 2015 - Round 10

Neemo wrote:

With 6 of 20 votes (30%), Sorry was voted off in Round 9. Click here for the Sorry Dissecting Chinese Democracy Thread

Round 10 starts now...vote off your LEAST FAVORITE

Voting closes in 3 days

GnREvo Chinese Democracy Elimination 2015

Chinese Democracy 10%
Better 25%
Street Of Dreams 30%
There Was Time 0%
I.R.S. 10%
Madagascar 25%
Total votes: 20
Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Getting tough now...and vote selection is pretty diverse

I'm voting the title track this round

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Title track one of the best if not THE best track on the album unfortunately. CD, IRS, and Riad are the album's true gems which is unbelievable. Before 2008 I couldn't imagine being able to say such a thing with a straight face.  CD has other good songs of course(ITW, TWAT,etc.) but it has so many songs like that it just runs in place.

Voting Better til its gone. Album version is an abomination.

I do agree that its about to get really tough.  Take away Better and you're looking at a damn good EP.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Absolutely love the solo but Madagascar has to go. It's actually a pretty great song, but I think listening to them in live versions for years kinda ruined it. When we finally got an album version it was just underwhelming. You'd heard it thousands of times already.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Take away Better and you're looking at a damn good EP.

And you're looking at tracks from the Beavan sessions from '98-'99. You know, the one that Jimmy Iovine resented for the drums being 'too industrial', or whatever.

"It's within our contracts to do [a solo album]... There's no rules, you can do it way under budget so it doesn't cost a lot and the only thing I can do [with mine,] is promote it as much as I can so for the amount of the effort spent, the money that goes into it, that I do what I can for it." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

How different the band history would've been if this album, or even an EP, would've been turned into an Axl solo release and released for profit. After that, he would've gone back to do the 'real' GNR album.

James

James wrote:

Thats so crazy in hindsight.

I know its not in Whispers because it goes too far back but in one of the mags I read all the time in either 89 or 90, Axl talked about doing 5 albums in a few years, including a solo album. Obviously we wound up getting UYI and TSI instead. Yeah he turned GNR into a solo project but I highly doubt that's what he meant at the time.

He overreacted to Slash taking those demos. Why did he care so much? Snakepit has good songs but Slash could have whipped up similar songs in a few days.  Had Axl used that early CD material as a solo album I doubt the label would have been so quick to reject it.

It is kinda funny we've narrowed it down to those first completed songs.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The problem was Axl didn't view it as a solo album. The change in direction was to stay relevant. Axl's main motivation was, as I think Slash claimed, be on MTV. Not because he loved the attention, but because that meant they were still "happening" in pop culture. Axl wanted the world to acknowledge him. In the Loder interview he lamented the fact that Guns no longer held the public perception they once did.

He didn't want to do an old school rock n' roll album because he feared they'd become a new AC/DC. And I would say he was correct in that assessment when we saw what happened to Metallica in the mid to late 90s.  Of course, he couldn't foresee that all this would change in the 2000s with Napster and touring taking over as the main source of income. Giving renewed credibility to worn old timers. Even AC/DC is "hip" these days. Back in the 90s they were has beens.

On the other hand it makes a reunion that much more likely.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Thats so crazy in hindsight.

I know its not in Whispers because it goes too far back but in one of the mags I read all the time in either 89 or 90, Axl talked about doing 5 albums in a few years, including a solo album. Obviously we wound up getting UYI and TSI instead. Yeah he turned GNR into a solo project but I highly doubt that's what he meant at the time.

He overreacted to Slash taking those demos. Why did he care so much? Snakepit has good songs but Slash could have whipped up similar songs in a few days.  Had Axl used that early CD material as a solo album I doubt the label would have been so quick to reject it.

It is kinda funny we've narrowed it down to those first completed songs.

Axl's story is that he eventually conceded to doing Slash' material, but that he wanted some changes. Slash didn't move one inch and the stand still lasted until Slash took them with him and made a solo album. Axl may have been pissed that the songs could no longer be used for a GN'R album. Beggars and Hangers on could have been a massive song with Axl's input.

James

James wrote:

So could Good to be Alive and Neither Can I. Hell, add Lower to that as well.

Yeah I read the 90s section of CD Whispers recently. A bizarre stalemate for sure.  I just don't get why they both had to draw a line in the sand over THAT. 

Duff never should have walked away doing his own thing. That was a critical moment that needed him there as a mediator.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So could Good to be Alive and Neither Can I. Hell, add Lower to that as well.

Yeah I read the 90s section of CD Whispers recently. A bizarre stalemate for sure.  I just don't get why they both had to draw a line in the sand over THAT. 

Duff never should have walked away doing his own thing. That was a critical moment that needed him there as a mediator.

I see it as a power play. Axl started with a preemptive strike when he took over the band, Slash retaliated by putting his indispensable role as lead guitarist on the line. Curiously they both refer to this thing as a "war". Unfortunately Slash underestimated the limits of Axl's stubbornness. Not the first to do so, nor the last.

Board footer