You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Even the simple things went wrong in 2006

AtariLegend wrote:

Here we have Axl on absolute fire after a show that went from every high to low possible. Anyway Axl's finally in a good mood and fucking going for it and then the sound guy forgets about Bumblefoot.

The media remembers this show unfortunately more than Rock AM. If this show wasn't doomed before it was announced it could of got the band alot of good will in the UK.

Unfortunately the knifes were out before they played alot of that audience were the type of "Kerrang" teenagers, nevermind the "NME" types who were never going to accept Axl. The media wanted a car crash more than a comeback as well.

I was of that age unfortunately and I know the types that generation was into, that Download was intended to cater for. People whom were 30 somethings during the 2000's might have a different idea though.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

I fuckin loved 2006, bumps and all.    Awesome shows from that era.   Finally, redemption from the debacle of 2002.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

They threw bottles at him I think. Remember it as a disaster.

The show I saw was not a fond experience, but more to do with festival, 50.000 crowd and standing way in the back. Being 5.10 in Scandinavia you don't see shit then. You got a bit of that NME vibe there as well. 2006 was a bad year for Axl in the sense that his relevance in pop culture had reached a comic low. It was very hip to hate on him, more than usual.

AtariLegend wrote:

This is the one they used for the highlights show here on channel 4.

Anyone want to argue it isn't as good as this.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Atari it call comes back to the album or lack thereof unfortunately. The media "wanted a car crash" because CD was a joke to them at that point & had been for years. He tried a comeback  AGAIN without an album and the vultures descended.  That was the year Kurt Loder threw in the towel.

Didn't matter how good he sounded at RAR or whatever, the media considered it null and void.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I saw them 5-6 times that year I believe. All Epic.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Cramer wrote:

I saw them 5-6 times that year I believe. All Epic.

I think that might be why I look back so fondly on that era.   The shows were amazing.    I made it to 4 of them.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slightly bitter I didn't have enough money to see more shows back then. Had a ticket for the cancelled 01 tour too.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Axl always seems to have the worst luck when it comes to big showcase performances which are broadcast to a wide audience. 2002 VMAs: he blows his voice out doing the big opening scream and sounds squeaky and out of puff for the rest of the performance (the bizarre decision to do a medley of two old songs and half a new one didn't help). Download 2006 had all the technical/health and safety problems which caused him (not unreasonably) to leave the stage while they were fixed, which was interpreted by the crowd (and the mainstream press) as being another example of Axl's capriciousness. Rock in Rio 2011 he had a cold and it was pissing down raining throughout, so his vocals were squeaky and the performance was (understandably) not the band's finest.

If he'd come out at any of those shows looking and sounding like he did at Rock am Ring 2006, he would've silenced his critics in one fell swoop.

AtariLegend wrote:

In alot of the youtube videos the best comments are along the lines of.

"Axel can't hit the highnotes" on 2006 videos

People mocking Izzy, because they have no idea who is

"Adler and Izzy wrote all the songs"

"Lacks Duff's tone"

"epic guitar solo by Slash" not knowing that it isn't Slash

"terrible performance"

"Axel rose is broke and cant sing while slash,duff,izzy,weiland,adler velvet revolver still sell out shows" This was posted on a video 3 months ago.

...And way too many obvious MYGNR trolls.

Board footer