You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Dissecting Chinese Democracy: Track 4 - Street of Dreams

Neemo wrote:

Written by Axl Rose, Dizzy Reed and Tommy Stinson, this song was first performed live on January 1, 2001 at The House of Blues in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The song had a working title of The Blues from that date until Chinese Democracy was released

Fan theories of the songs meaning vary from Steph Seymour, Dylan Seymour, Erin Everly and former band mates (namely Slash or Izzy). ..some of us on the forum had discussions about perhaps being about a miscarriage by one of Axl's former lovers or perhaps even a lie about pregnancy by one of them

Maybe it's about Shannon Hoon or another find of his lost to addiction

Or finally, perhaps that the song is about the dream of being a rockstar...or even fame in general...maybe an older wiser Axl talking to an younger version of himself

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Always liked 'The Blues' better and really enjoyed the song on the 2002 tour.    Great song but should have left it alone.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

My favorite song back when we only had live version of CD, Maddy, Blues and Silk Worms (+ OMG).

Somehow I'm not as fond of it anymore. Not sure why. The studio version gave me pretty much everything I hoped for. Clear sound, clean vocals and no major alterations.

So I'm thinking it has to be the November Rain syndrome. The song has been overplayed to the point you don't know if you'll ever enjoy it the same again. This is why I only listen to Estranged a few times a year.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought Robin had a really nice solo on it!  On the studio version I don't like Axl's wimpy whiny vocals in the first verse.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

A few people have referred to the demo being superior to the album version, but I've never heard it, only cleaned up live versions of the Rio performance, cleaned up and claimed to be the demo version.

I'd love to hear the studio demo if it exists, and if anyone here actually has it.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Love this

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

2002 version was incredible. Was shocked in 2006 by what happened to the song. When it's leak happened in 07, knew the song was not going to be restored to its prior greatness.

IMO the vocals are not good and like Madagascar, never should have been considered finished.

Always loved the lyrics.

Metallex....pretty sure you heard the demo. Leaked in 07 and again in the skwerl leak. Weren't you around then?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

2002 version was incredible. Was shocked in 2006 by what happened to the song. When it's leak happened in 07, knew the song was not going to be restored to its prior greatness.

IMO the vocals are not good and like Madagascar, never should have been considered finished.

Always loved the lyrics.

Metallex....pretty sure you heard the demo. Leaked in 07 and again in the skwerl leak. Weren't you around then?

Yeah, I was here in 2007, but of all the demos I heard, The Blues wasn't amongst them.
And the only ones I've heard that are supposedly the demo, are just cleaned up versions of the Rio performance.

I can't imagine everyone was fooled into thinking the cleaned up live recording was actually a demo

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Check your PMs.

darkhelmet
 Rep: 0 

darkhelmet wrote:

great track!

Lofton, can you PM me? thanks!

Board footer