You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: "dexter" hack at GNR Evo (Split from "Holy Shit" thread)

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Make the board private. If you aren't a member now in 2015 sorry. Lock the shit down and make it member only and threads are all locked from public viewing. No more public stuff where lurkers can hang out.

Believe it or not, this was seriously considered in 2008.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Do it!  And if someone else wants to join they must know a member or be invited by a member or something. I would even pay a couple bucks per year or so.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Will if you get VIP passes to opening night of the Reunion Tour I'm calling bullshit on your little 'security hack' coverup!  axl 16

You can look forward to my selfies with /jarmo 16

I would ask everyone to return to discussing the original topic, but that was deleted before our impostor even turned up 14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I would even pay a couple bucks per year or so.

That was considered as well. Not as a way to make money but as a deterrent to trolls.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Damn... So it was hacked only to leave a thumbs up? What are odds Axl hacked his own account to post it?

It does seem kind of odd, but maybe the hacker wanted to start it out slow to see what kind of reaction it would get. Then build off of that. Again, nothing surprises me in the land of GNR anymore. We've seen and heard it all, well except new music. 19

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Damn... So it was hacked only to leave a thumbs up? What are odds Axl hacked his own account to post it?

It does seem kind of odd, but maybe the hacker wanted to start it out slow to see what kind of reaction it would get. Then build off of that. Again, nothing surprises me in the land of GNR anymore. We've seen and heard it all, well except new music. 19

That's what I'm lead to believe.

I know my initial response after re-opening the forum was kind of vague, but it took me 5-6 hours to upgrade our forum software and re-apply all of our modifications, so I was kinda burnt out by the end.... and then we were bombarded with 200+ spam accounts sad

Edit: Good point Cramer. Removed steps just incase.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

Somehow, someway, this was all Cramer's fault.

I fail to see how I'm directly responsible as I'm quite certain I'm a figment of someone else's imagination.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Will wrote:

That's what I'm lead to believe.

I know my initial response after re-opening the forum was kind of vague, but it took me 5-6 hours to upgrade our forum software and re-apply all of our modifications, so I was kinda burnt out by the end.... and then we were bombarded with 200+ spam accounts sad

This is quite a bit of information you're volunteering here. Not sure how safe this is to convey this all publicly. But you know better than I do.

I'd imagine if somebody were to hack an anonymous profile, they'd pick one that was not in use first. Otherwise flags would go up, and the true user would report it to a Moderator. The hacker could do a test run with a smiley, or small comment, and then proceed with more nefarious actions if they went undetected. However it would be quite the coincidence to pick an unused account that just happened to belong to Axl Rose. Likewise, as you said, if the intentions were malicious why not just pick a Moderator or Admin profile instead? You'd get keys to all kinds of goodies then.

As for the spam accounts registering after the fact, it was probably connected. I have (and currently) run a forum with similar series of events. In my case it may be a dormant spam account, registered but never posted. Then one day it comes to life (so to speak) and may post something rather innocuous. If nothing happens after the initial post the spam begins and I have an onslaught of new registrants, all of which are spambots from Eastern Europe.

I had to close my forum, and turn off registrations at one point too. I have since put measures in place to combat this and reopened registrations.

Still though, what kind of coincidence is it that it was Dexter's account, replying directly to one of my smarmy comments about Axl? That wouldn't make sense for a spambot testing the waters. A spambot would post something completely random. There was human thought behind that response to me.

Either way, I'm wearing a condom from now on when I post, and I suggest the rest of you weirdos follow suit.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Between you and Will, I get this.

Cramer wrote:

I'd imagine if somebody were to hack an anonymous profile,

pick an unused account that just happened to belong to Axl Rose.

The hacker could do a test run with a smiley, or small comment,

and then proceed with more nefarious actions if they went undetected.

the spam begins and I have an onslaught of new registrants, all of which are spambots from Eastern Europe.

Seriously, I believe that this closely resembles Will's take on the events.

The key is, go 'undetected' as Dexter, meaning, we buy into the hacker being Axl Rose.

Then, he'd send in the spam bots and reside as the forum rock star 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't get it, how would someone not intimately familiar with the GN'R community, going back to the Dexter events in 2008, know which one to hack? Last I checked these spam hackers barely even know English. There are hundreds of users registered who have never made a post, so if they just went with that, that's quite the coincidence.

Board footer