You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: How much of the board actually believes a reunion will happen?

jimmythegent wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I only see the later logo on that pic too. Other than that one band pic from a few years back at the GNR store, everything else is the old stuff.

I was referring to the 'Happy Thanksgiving' text - very UYI font...

Do you think we will see a reunion within the next few years?

Yes 75%
No 25%
Total votes: 40
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I only see the later logo on that pic too. Other than that one band pic from a few years back at the GNR store, everything else is the old stuff.

I was referring to the 'Happy Thanksgiving' text - very UYI font...

Yeah the slot machine has the old text as well. Same text as my GNR tattoo in the 90s.

James, it doesn't say 3 songs here, but it does discuss it here.

Yeah I knew he had been doing it but three made it really stand out.

The 3s coming up with Ezrin, CD, and then Slash was a bizarre coincidence that might have been anything but.

I wish the late 90s-02 era had been properly documented. CD Whispers is the best it will ever get but there are gaps and tips of icebergs worthy of explanation.

IMO anything past 03-04 concerning the project other than the minor additions and Azoff getting it released border on irrelevant. The meat to the story resides in those years. Getting confirmation this late in the game that he spent a week on vocals is mind blowing.

Another great tidbit from Fortus is him dating Better. Fans have wondered about it for years. Now we know it would have been on CD had it been released in 01.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Whilst it's clear that the record company interfered and ultimately played a large part in the delays of CD, i think we are letting off Axl a little easy.
If it were one isolated incident, maybe, but the simplest of things for most bands is always a monumental Everest-like summit for Axl.

Tours that are booked that he didn't know about, the Better video debacle, the most amateurish artwork/liner notes i've ever seen released, OMG being a demo apparently etc etc and these are only a few recent examples.

It's appalling management and Axl is as culpable as anyone for allowing it to go down like that...

James

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Whilst it's clear that the record company interfered and ultimately played a large part in the delays of CD, i think we are letting off Axl a little easy.
If it were one isolated incident, maybe, but the simplest of things for most bands is always a monumental Everest-like summit for Axl.

Tours that are booked that he didn't know about, the Better video debacle, the most amateurish artwork/liner notes i've ever seen released, OMG being a demo apparently etc etc and these are only a few recent examples.

It's appalling management and Axl is as culpable as anyone for allowing it to go down like that...

Definitely no questioning Axl's/TB's role in those issues but IMO its really looking like the label fucked it all up in 01 and 02. It never recovered from that.  Everything beyond that becomes the domino effect.  Just fuck up after fuck up. The killer is the 03-05 period. How on earth did the label think that was going to be productive? To add insult to injury they release that GH in the middle of that which didn't help things at all. They released it because CD wasn't forthcoming. Hmm...well they had a chance to release CD two years earlier. Actually passed on it twice.  He's in Rio in 01, VMAs 02, and the 03 IRS Trump incident. All three of those major events got a ton of attention. Why wasn't the label capitalizing on those things? Instead they kept sending it back to him. Not up to snuff. Which begs the question...if it wasn't up to snuff in 2001, why were the same exact songs up to snuff in 2008? Other than some Ron and Frank additions, its the same album. Even the cover is the same. I think they just wanted rid of it by that point and didn't even care one way or the other. I haven't seen much interest in its followup either.

I also believe he lost most of his interest in the project back then. Stopped taking it as seriously and with both sides taking such a stance, the whole thing was guaranteed to turn out just like it did and without Azoff entering the equation, dollars to donuts we're still waiting for it to this day.

The insane wait is starting to make more sense. Yeah Axl shoulders some of the blame for lack of a better word but the label's handling of the project in that time frame is inexcusable.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James Lofton wrote:

Yes Fortus mentioned Axl toying around with an old Slash riff or something.

Which proves that there must have been communication between Axl and Slash – there's no way that Axl would be able to use material written by Slash without some sort of permission. Using a Slash riff without permission would be an invitation to a lawsuit, and a PR nightmare.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Idle speculation: a hypothetical Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Ferrer/Dizzy reunion will put any album on the back burner for the time being – there's no point shooting the "new music" bolt when the mere fact of a reunion will sell tour tickets on its own. Diehard forum fans will whinge; no-one else will care – just like diehard forum fans will whinge that it isn't a "real" reunion without Izzy and Adler. Izzy (and, hell, maybe Adler) will drop in for odd shows on the tour.

Axl will take the best of the CDII material (possibly including some Izzy collaborations – Down By The Ocean?) and mash it up with the best of the Duff/Slash material (perhaps those Velvet Revolver tracks they demoed with Corey Taylor?), stripping out Ashba/Bumblefoot tracks (praise be!) and Finck/Buckethead/Stinson tracks (boo!) and replacing them with Slash and Duff. We might get a Stinson track or two, like Goin' Down. The album will probably be called Guns N' Roses, because there's a statement of intent right there; the record company will drop it in the 2016 holiday season or (more likely) Summer 2017, to promote the next leg of the tour.

Diehard forum fans will whinge. Because they always find something to whinge about.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Which proves that there must have been communication between Axl and Slash – there's no way that Axl would be able to use material written by Slash without some sort of permission. Using a Slash riff without permission would be an invitation to a lawsuit, and a PR nightmare.

Depends, perhaps like with the new guys any riffs etc produced on GnR studio time become property of GnR(Axl) for Axl to tinker with as he pleases. If it was the same case in the mid 90's maybe Slash riffs from that time do belong to Axl?

James - I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned Azoff. Not sure what his influence was in 01, but if he was manager then it makes you wonder if we'd have seen CD sooner?

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Absolutely. If the two weren't in bed together so to speak, Slash could have did an interview a day after that comment laughing about Axl needing to use some ancient riff of his for new GNR.

James - I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned Azoff. Not sure what his influence was in 01, but if he was manager then it makes you wonder if we'd have seen CD sooner?

Someone of that caliber couldn't have made it any worse. 16 Azoff could have told UMG take it or leave it cuz its as good as its gonna get(and he wouldn't have been lying), maybe promise a promo blitz, something. GNR most definitely needed him in 04 during that GH fiasco. A perfect time to negotiate the album's release.

UMG were also bat shit crazy for missing the boat during VR's rise. Throw CD out there when Slither's climbing the charts.

johndivney wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Idle speculation: a hypothetical Axl/Slash/Duff/Fortus/Ferrer/Dizzy reunion will put any album on the back burner for the time being – there's no point shooting the "new music" bolt when the mere fact of a reunion will sell tour tickets on its own. Diehard forum fans will whinge; no-one else will care – just like diehard forum fans will whinge that it isn't a "real" reunion without Izzy and Adler. Izzy (and, hell, maybe Adler) will drop in for odd shows on the tour.

Axl will take the best of the CDII material (possibly including some Izzy collaborations – Down By The Ocean?) and mash it up with the best of the Duff/Slash material (perhaps those Velvet Revolver tracks they demoed with Corey Taylor?), stripping out Ashba/Bumblefoot tracks (praise be!) and Finck/Buckethead/Stinson tracks (boo!) and replacing them with Slash and Duff. We might get a Stinson track or two, like Goin' Down. The album will probably be called Guns N' Roses, because there's a statement of intent right there; the record company will drop it in the 2016 holiday season or (more likely) Summer 2017, to promote the next leg of the tour.

Diehard forum fans will whinge. Because they always find something to whinge about.

they'll tour without an album. they'll talk about recording after the tour but it'll never happen.

after he cashes in the reunion for a couple of spins he's done.

he has no interest in releasing records.
for all the blame correctly attributed to label mismanagement, the big guy has talked before how much duress he feels in releasing material. he can't handle people judging him, his art.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

He's also talked about how much he dislikes touring and the stresses that puts on him.

Doesn't leave us with a lot does it?

Thank god for that new slot machine...

Board footer