You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Cat out of the bag?

James wrote:
misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

Robin is a realistic scenario for several reasons. Not saying it's going to happen. Don't give a shit about money or success of CD II. Just want it because, you know, I'm kind of a fan....nothing wrong with it.

I want it as well but don't feel the need to imagine the 2001 lineup or specific members coming back for it to become a reality.

Much simpler and realistic IMO for its release to come in under the radar before the buzzer that sets a reunion into motion.

I don't think any former member needs to come back for its release.

I'm not imaging anything. The thing I do know is that CD II is going forward,Slash has plans for the next year or so, they're looking for new guitarist, Robin makes the most sense. The original five is the same, yeah? But that seems to be okay to speculate.

The only reason Robin would make any sense is because he's not doing anything, same with Bucket and Huge. Where does it stop? Why not just bring back Ron? He's on the material. He picked an interesting time to bail, didn't he? CD II or a reunion which insiders say isn't happening yet he left.

Like I said, if CD II is on the horizon Axl doesn't need any of those guys. They already contributed to the album or are we now advocating another coat of polish to the album?

I'd like to hear CD II sooner rather than later and I think the fewer people currently around the project the better. If he's going to tour behind it then come up with a touring lineup further down the road, or are we advocating another CD tour launch without an album which quickly morphs into an AFD-UYI set?

This is one reason why many are aboard the reunion train and tossed their Chinese checkerboard out the window. 

I still don't get why Slash solo plans in the coming year are supposedly an obstacle. The guy can clearly multitask if the need arises. So could Bucket. So could Cornell. So could Keith Richards. So could...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Robin makes sense because he was already in the band and there doesn't seem to be any hard feelings, which is not the case with Ron and DJ. I have no idea why this seems to be a sore spot. And if anyone would actually look at Slash's plans its painfully obvious that he could not simply multi task. And he's not going to blow it off. There's no reason to, he and Axl have plans for the next year or so.

And we're really going a little out there on the expectations of a reunion in the near future. If it happens,  I think it will at some point, it will be a while. It's kind of funny that I'm the one being unrealistic, or whatever the problem is, about the possibility, just the possibility, of Robin returning to do a tour or residency, or both.

johndivney wrote:

He's going to have a big parliament/funkadelic style collective of everybody & play a mix of everything.

& we'll all take a piss break when it's time for robin's solo.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have no idea why this seems to be a sore spot.

Who said it's a sore spot? Is it the first time I've disagreed with you?

Actually, maybe it is. Back when I was king of the whiners, you might have been the prime minister. 16

And if anyone would actually look at Slash's plans its painfully obvious that he could not simply multi task.

If Slash's plans look that bad to people, their heads must explode when looking at Cornell's.

The size of the reunion is key anyways. If its a one off like Zep a few years back or for shits and giggles lets say a Vegas residency(which I doubt), all of their solo plans including Axl's is irrelevant. One offs and residencies can be done at any time.

I don't think they're doing anything until we get close to 2017 so Slash can go on a prolific spell like Bucket if he wants to. I think your points are much more valid if we were thinking a reunion was being announced right now. Obviously Slash would need to juggle a few things if that was the case. I think its happening a year from now and all their ducks can easily be lined up.

And we're really going a little out there on the expectations of a reunion in the near future.

I just think its happening. All signs point to it but I sure as hell don't think its happening right now.  Is there really anyone in the fan base that expects an announcement within days/weeks/months?

It's kind of funny that I'm the one being unrealistic, or whatever the problem is,

I don't have a problem with you. Not sure why you bring this up periodically while discussing this. The only aspect of your theory on how this plays out that I would consider "unrealistic" is Axl bringing back members from 10-15 years ago to tour the album. As much as I'd love the alternate universe of the 2001 lineup getting another chance to shine I just cant picture it in my head at this point. Not even one of those members.

Your comments regarding the album itself is realistic. While the window is closing certainly, I do think he's got enough time to do something with it if he and the label wish to do so. I have always said I wanted new music over reunion and that still stands even with a reunion getting closer.  Just because I think a reunion is going to happen doesn't mean I don't want the album.

The general malaise in the fan base is due to the insane wait for the followup and the continued secrecy when its not necessary. He's not getting any younger and people want him to have one last ride at the top. Out of the potential scenarios its not surprising most want him to take the safe, easy, and quickest route to that destination.

I think one of the reasons people want a reunion that is getting overlooked is the strong possibility of clearing out the vault. This can happen with them just on speaking terms but chances get even better if they are active.

misterID

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have no idea why this seems to be a sore spot.

Who said it's a sore spot? Is it the first time I've disagreed with you?

Actually, maybe it is. Back when I was king of the whiners, you might have been the prime minister. 16

And if anyone would actually look at Slash's plans its painfully obvious that he could not simply multi task.

If Slash's plans look that bad to people, their heads must explode when looking at Cornell's.

The size of the reunion is key anyways. If its a one off like Zep a few years back or for shits and giggles lets say a Vegas residency(which I doubt), all of their solo plans including Axl's is irrelevant. One offs and residencies can be done at any time.

I don't think they're doing anything until we get close to 2017 so Slash can go on a prolific spell like Bucket if he wants to. I think your points are much more valid if we were thinking a reunion was being announced right now. Obviously Slash would need to juggle a few things if that was the case. I think its happening a year from now and all their ducks can easily be lined up.

And we're really going a little out there on the expectations of a reunion in the near future.

I just think its happening. All signs point to it but I sure as hell don't think its happening right now.  Is there really anyone in the fan base that expects an announcement within days/weeks/months?

It's kind of funny that I'm the one being unrealistic, or whatever the problem is,

I don't have a problem with you. Not sure why you bring this up periodically while discussing this. The only aspect of your theory on how this plays out that I would consider "unrealistic" is Axl bringing back members from 10-15 years ago to tour the album. As much as I'd love the alternate universe of the 2001 lineup getting another chance to shine I just cant picture it in my head at this point. Not even one of those members.

Your comments regarding the album itself is realistic. While the window is closing certainly, I do think he's got enough time to do something with it if he and the label wish to do so. I have always said I wanted new music over reunion and that still stands even with a reunion getting closer.  Just because I think a reunion is going to happen doesn't mean I don't want the album.

The general malaise in the fan base is due to the insane wait for the followup and the continued secrecy when its not necessary. He's not getting any younger and people want him to have one last ride at the top. Out of the potential scenarios its not surprising most want him to take the safe, easy, and quickest route to that destination.

I think one of the reasons people want a reunion that is getting overlooked is the strong possibility of clearing out the vault. This can happen with them just on speaking terms but chances get even better if they are active.

Well, you're always bringing up the delusion of me wanting to relive the 02 line up when I bring up Robin as a possibility... I think it's a realistic possibility for the reason that he played with them after he left, he's no longer touring with NIN, it would be pretty easy to pay the guy to tour the album he helped create, and it just makes sense bringing in someone you're cool with, have chemistry with, etc. And if you're planning a reunion in the future, you're not looking for a long term replacement, but someone who knows the deal, knows the band, music, and even on an emotional sense, can be a part of a sort of closure of that era... And you have no idea if a reunion will happen.  I think he makes a lot of sense.

Really, if I bring this up, we get into the same argument about wanting somehow to bring about the nu lineup, when basically, I'm throwing out a name for an open spot. I even threw out Slash's name when DJ quit. I honestly don't care about people wanting the reunion over CD II.  That's what I meant about problem. We keep having the same argument every time I mention Robin 16

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

We're on the verge of what appears to be a classic GnR reunion. The idea of Robin returning is just....fer Chrissake man, c'mon.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Two things we can bet on.

Guns plans can take a long time to come to pass.
Ax likes to take his time.

Slash will be recording / touring with his own band as long as he can.
Slash likes to stay out there.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

There are about 5 new GNR tweets...

They range from

"Whatever happened to no news is good news"

"Read between the lines"

"Everyone is a journalist"

"If they could read lips"

Hmmm

misterID

misterID wrote:
Cramer wrote:

We're on the verge of what appears to be a classic GnR reunion. The idea of Robin returning is just....fer Chrissake man, c'mon.

I wouldn't say a classic reunion, but a reunion, and I'm pretty certain it is not going to be in the next year. I do know for a fact that a contract was offered to a guitarist to replace Ron not too long ago who was not an original member.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There are about 5 new GNR tweets...

They range from

"Whatever happened to no news is good news"

"Read between the lines"

"Everyone is a journalist"

"If they could read lips"

Hmmm

I would take that as a dig at Eddie Trunk, who spurred the tweets...

No news is good news.

Board footer