You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Scott Weiland Is Dead.

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

What do most here consider his best solo album?

jimmythegent wrote:

Like James, i'd be keen to know what people think his best solo album is ...

12 Bar Blues was released in '98 to critical praise, yet it never found an audience.

You can hear a bit of a DJ Shadow influence and bits of it remind me of what I'd imagine an Axl Rose album production might be.

Weiland's voice suits him, I'm liking it beyond most STP (aside Core) and VR (10-song total between two albums) stuff I care about.

Barbarella (the 2nd track) provides with a scary a cappella section.

And all the tangerines
They taste like jelly beans
This must be boring by now
Grab a scale and guess the weight
Of all the pain Ive given with my name
Im a selfish piece of shit

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I just listened to the whole 12 bar blues.  Thanks for posting.  That was different and pretty cool.  Some Loving the Alien vibe in there.  Not bad!

boneshj
 Rep: 4 

boneshj wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wow. Very powerful.  The part " like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope" is sad but true. Not just true for him but many drug addicts.

Also made a good point at the circus mentality when these artists start fucking up on that level in public. Jani Lane suffered a similar fate.

Jani Lane was one of the first people I thought of when I heard of Scott's passing.  His story is a true tragedy even to the point that when he passed, few bother to even talk about it.  Always thought that people underrated him due to the scene he was attached to.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thanks for 12 Bar Blues. I'll check it out.

Good to see you back boneshj. Jani Lane's story is  even worse than Weiland's. Jani had been working on a project years before he died(Jabberwocky) that it seemed he was hoping to gain traction with like Axl and CD but there just wasn't any interest.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting comparison, however I think slightly different in that imho Scott achieved the status he so sought (deservedly or not), in that he became a 90s alt rock/grunge (near) icon. A the fame & success pretty much stayed, so he knew what his legacy was.

Jani Lane was a bit more unfortunate. The VH1 interviews & Behind The Musics (wish that was on Netflix, are they?), he always bemoaned being "The Cherry Pie Guy", a cheesy hit song he could never escape the connotations of.  Sad, some of their other hits were a bit more lasting (Heaven, I Saw Red) & that album, which I think the label named Cherry Pie, was a bit more acoustic rock.  I think the story is they handed in a Tesla styled rock album, and the label said "There's no hits on it", and told them to go back and record a hit song.. They came back with Cherry Pie & Love in Stereo and the rest, as they say, is history.  I think a similar thing happened with Def Leppards 'Pour Some Sugar On Me'.

As a side note, was there ever a rumor that Warrants 'I Saw Red' was a reference to Axl?  (Sleeping with a girl he was seeing)  I listened to that song a while back & it almost seemed to tell the story?!

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Too soon and too harsh IMO. didn't say one nice thing about him

http://www.alternativenation.net/scott- … -children/

Joe Howard, who had lunch with late Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland just a week and a half ago when he performed at Penn’s Peak in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, has responded to Mary Weiland’s open letter in a comment on Facebook:

“Wow! It’s pretty funny that I sat at a lunch last week with Scott and Tommy Black and Scott was very upset at the fact that his ex moved the kids out if state and shut him out from them. He was upset and frustrated about it. We got into a “I miss my kids” conversation and he was visually upset by this. So much that I had to change the topic. I felt reading this that there were a bunch of cheap shots written and some untruths. Scott loved his kids and was totally upset by the situation between his ex and kids. The last thing he said was I haven’t seen my kids in over a year and I love and miss them very much. Glasses came off and his eyes were red. Remember, there are three sides to every story. Scott is not here to defend himself so I had to at least share this. My heart goes out to his children.”

Mary Weiland released an open letter last night criticizing her now late ex-husband for being absent from their children’s lives over the last few years.

Mary said, “I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah’s talent show, or Lucy’s musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them.”

She later added, “When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a ‘normal’ girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can’t remember the last time they saw him on a Father’s Day.”

I highly recommend flipping through that articles comment section. She has an agenda, and Rolling Stone published that shit wayyyyy too soon.

Didn't they used to shoot dope together? She knew him quite well before he knocked her up twice.

Get the fuck outta here with that shit, lady. You're trying to sell a book and your meal ticket just dropped dead.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Furbush wrote:

I highly recommend flipping through that articles comment section. She has an agenda, and Rolling Stone published that shit wayyyyy too soon.

Didn't they used to shoot dope together? She knew him quite well before he knocked her up twice.

Get the fuck outta here with that shit, lady. You're trying to sell a book and your meal ticket just dropped dead.

Yeah, I read her letter on Rolling Stone or whatever. I too, wasn't a fan of it.  Just hypocritical, telling us to not adore or glorify heroin addicted rock stars?!   When she married one, and had 2 kids with one.  In the peak (or depths) of his addiction.  It just rubbed me the wrong way in a 'she's greater than us' kinda way.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

She's a bitch. It's like the Courtney Love fiasco all over again...but ten times more worse and hypocritical.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

http://www.alternativenation.net/scott- … -eulogies/

Mary and Kids don't show up to Funeral.  Duff and Slash give eulogy.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, I read her letter on Rolling Stone or whatever. I too, wasn't a fan of it.  Just hypocritical, telling us to not adore or glorify heroin addicted rock stars?!

There are more ways of looking at it.

First off, she knew a different Scott Weiland. Her former husband and the father of her kids. Who was found unresponsive in his tour bus. All the screw-ups, all the close calls had built up to that point. Imagine what it might feel like when it finally hits you. He's gone. For good this time. That sinking feeling.

Memories roll in. All those moments. The good, the loving moments. The bad, the hideous ones. There must've been many. So much anger, grief and sheer frustration. Wondering about his final moments. What happened. How he was. Seeing him alone with a lifetime of choices behind him. Afraid.

So many people commenting on it. So few of them knew him. It's easy for them to miss out on the tragedy of his life. This may have been her intent. Who knows.

Board footer