You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Coachella Festival profile and rumours

polluxlm wrote:

In your opinion is that booking too early to be legit or just about right?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
sp1at wrote:

The provisional headliners for Coachella were supposedly leaked at the end of September to someone on the Inforoo forum, and they were Guns N' Roses, LCD Soundsystem and Calvin Harris. This person has apparently been correct before with festival information. If you search Google, you will see a few forums picked up on it.

The line-up is prone to change, and Adele is being talked about now as a replacement for one of them.

I will look into the other two headliners to see if there is any truth to any of it

This is semi significant.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

The timing is fine, and it is more interesting because it's on a non GN'R forum.

The leaked list at the time could have represented the three biggest provisional acts on their books, and I could see Adele fitting above Calvin Harris if she is booked.

If you read about Glastonbury, Michael Eavis stated in June he had the three 2016 headliners already booked, yet in November, one of the team was negoiating with Adele about headlining, so festivals are fluid in terms of their setlist

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

Calvin Harris has tour dates in December, then some random US ones in May, so he checks out

As for LCD Soundsystem, they look to be reforming http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum … mes-murphy . This Billboard story came about two weeks after leak on the Inforoo board

Eddie Trunk mentioned on 30th Sept - "Eddie has heard from a very reliable source that venues are being put on hold for next year. There're indications that there will be shows with the Appetite line-up, but it might also include players from the Illusions-era and more recent players as well." The timing of this quote is now interesting, last week of September again

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

Other updates: Four major venues (obvious ones) have said they have had no contact with GN'R, thus ruling out a supporting US stadium tour at this stage.

I am following up something on a small US venue which I will present if I can get something tangible. I will actually look into the concept that GN'R will support Coachella with a few small venue dates around the same time

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
sp1at wrote:

The provisional headliners for Coachella were supposedly leaked at the end of September to someone on the Inforoo forum, and they were Guns N' Roses, LCD Soundsystem and Calvin Harris. This person has apparently been correct before with festival information. If you search Google, you will see a few forums picked up on it.

The line-up is prone to change, and Adele is being talked about now as a replacement for one of them.

I will look into the other two headliners to see if there is any truth to any of it

This is semi significant.

14 Nice way of putting that.

It does look very believable on the surface. You can see with that lineup they are blowing their wad on GNR. Now that Adele is being mentioned, sounds like the "plans changed" and something is causing them to need to go for more bang for their buck.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

(Insert Ron Paul "It's happening" meme here)

Sky Dog wrote:

No way they play Coachella...pipe dream....crack pipe dream.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

No way they play Coachella...pipe dream....crack pipe dream.

If this was 10 years ago I'd agree we're on a crack binge.  The reunion itself is more likely a crack pipe dream than the possibility of them performing at Coachella.  We live in a world where AC/DC headlines Coachella and in such a world, acts like GNR, Rolling Stones, etc. can also headline. Other than the fact its a hipster fest, its also turning into a festival known for its reunions. ANY major rock band reuniting would have a shot at being considered for Coachella.

Would GNR want to blow their reunion load on such an event? It would be a spectacle no doubt but the focus of the event would not just be on them. All acts at Coachella get coverage and the audience, media,etc. wont twiddle their thumbs in anticipation of GNR hitting the stage. Would also risk being upstaged by a smaller artist(like MIA getting majority of the buzz as the opener in 07) or even another headliner(if Adele is also headlining).

Risky proposition for sure.

sp1at

sp1at wrote:

Post back again;

Looking into Iron Maiden;

Their 2016 dates were announced around 1st October, but there was a delay in releasing them. Because they are playing The Forum near LA (owned by MSG) on 15th and 16th April, this should exclude them from the festival. This is because (apparently) there is a radius clause in the Coachella contracts which bans bands from playing near to the festival, a clause to which there are exceptions. The interesting thing is that Iron Maiden's tour looks like it was set up to end in LA, so it makes sense that they were being considered for the festival, probably up until September. They could still be a contender, but given they are doing two concerts in LA, they are saturating the crowd there already.

Edit -->I have had confirmation Iron Maiden are not announcing anymore concerts in the California area, so Iron Maiden are out. There are more US dates to announce between LA and NZ

Bruce Springsteen is also doing two large concerts in LA in March, which would have to rate him as an unlikely candidate.

In previous years, the Coachella headliner rumours in December have tended to be correct. Here's a story from this time last year with last years guesses for 2015, which also mentions a long standing offer for a reunited GN'R. http://www.musictimes.com/articles/1874 … adline.htm

I have not looked into this, but another aspect to think about is interviews. If GN'R are reuniting, interviews with Duff and Slash would probably show a change over a period of time. There will probably be less interviews, less questions about GN'R during the interviews and different answers to the stock answers they usually give

Board footer