You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Looks like rehearsals have started!

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I guess I'm just trying to say that Guns could get away with a song or two if they don't have a full album or the desire to release an album.

Oh I agree with that. After the album came out and some were complaining about the quality and how he cant possibly have a second great album in the vault, I said he doesn't even need a great album to put him back on the map....he needs a great song.

If there is a Cochise or Slither sitting in that vault and these guys throw it out there in the midst of this reunion, they're instantly back on the map.

The sad thing is that he may have had that song already before all the fucking tinkering and adding of new band members.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Duff's practically been back in the band for a few years. He's basically played as much as Stinson has post 2011.

Unless Adler plays Coachella the only thing that's changed is Slash has rejoined.

I'm glad that Duff/Slash are back, but I'd be a bit disappointed if Axl chose to fire everyone else "just because".

He didnt fire anyone, BBF and DJ left because there was no music in sight for a long long time.  Tommy quit to go back to the Mats.

IF Axl released an album in 2010 and then the 3rd in 2012 I don't think anyone would have quit.  And if they did , they would have at least had two more albums after CD.

But think about it, from 2008-2015 Axl was playing mostly a GH set list and not much off CD. Even after the album dropped, they were still barely playing any new songs (not counting the stuff they were playing in 2001-2006) like CD, the blues and madagascar.

At least now they will be playing the same GH type set list with slash and duff now, so it won't feel like a cover band anymore.

when Finck, BH and Brain were in the band, I hoped by 2006 they would have had three albums out and by that time they would have been playing mostly stuff by the new Gnr and only a few classic songs like the staples, WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Patience, and Nov Rain.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

He is a tool and also worked with tool.

You're just bitching 'cause you want Teddy "Zig Zag" back, and the 976 Horn section for all that money you paid. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Rex wrote:

The sad thing is that he may have had that song already before all the fucking tinkering and adding of new band members.

Absolutely. Look at the title track how it was performed eons before release. That wasn't Slither catchy obviously but would've went down a lot better had it been released like that instead of "improving" it in 2007.

Everyone also says that very first leak of Better was the best one and look how that turned out.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Rex wrote:

Absolutely. Look at the title track how it was performed eons before release. That wasn't Slither catchy obviously but would've went down a lot better had it been released like that instead of "improving" it in 2007.

Everyone also says that very first leak of Better was the best one and look how that turned out.

I almost jizzed in my pants when I heard the first Chinese demo. Axl's voice is spot on. I like the guitar they added on the album version, but I hate the harmony vocal Axl tacked onto the verse. Can't always get what you want...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

There's certain aspects of the demos that are far superior, and others that were improved, such as the final version of TWAT is an amazing masterpiece. Easily the best song on the album. The demo versions of Better & IRS are better.

I still would love to hear the full 2000 Intentions version of the album.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That is an intimate word to me and I think only Slash, Axl, Duff can refer to the band as Guns. Guns to me relates to a gang, a posse, a group of pals...

You contradict yourself in the very next sentence, or are you part of this exclusive club allowed to refer to the band as "Guns"?

Are you implying that Izzy, Adler, Dizzy, Gilby, Matt, Bucket (etc) and the thousands of fans posting online daily about Guns N Roses shouldn't refer to the band as Guns? hmm

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Rex wrote:

I almost jizzed in my pants when I heard the first Chinese demo. Axl's voice is spot on. I like the guitar they added on the album version, but I hate the harmony vocal Axl tacked onto the verse. Can't always get what you want...

I absolutely shed fucking tears the first time I heard the old demo of Better. It was the first time I heard Axl's voice since Sympathy, and it was perfect.

The old Catcher demo just needed to not sound like it was underwater. It was simple, haunting and beyond amazing. It was subsequently destroyed. But that whole first cd some kid at work burned for me wayyyy before I had the internet immediately available to me was Chinese Democracy to me for many years.

1.Better
2. Chinese (Live)
3. The Blues
4. IRS
5.TWAT ( 2nd demo)
6. Catcher
7. Rhiad (Live)
8.Silkworms (Live)

Still have it. Still works. I'm shocked I didn't wear it out.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Furbush wrote:

I absolutely shed fucking tears the first time I heard the old demo of Better. It was the first time I heard Axl's voice since Sympathy, and it was perfect.

I remember hearing the Better leak for the first time and being absolutely blown away by it. Within 24 hours I must have racked up at least 100 plays in the Windows Media Player "play count" 9

The first time I heard "The Blues" was a download from Napster and it took at least a couple of listens before I could even confirm it was actually Axl singing. I hear it now and there is obviously no doubt at all, but back then I thought he sounded completely different (it was the Rio 3 version)

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I also thought The Blues was fake the first time I heard it in 2001. Axl's voice was so clean (and Mickey) that I didn't even recognize it. At first I thought it was someone imitating him, lol. Later I discovered from the Rio III show, as well as subsequent 2002 soundboards and 2002 VMA's when I physically saw Axl sing for the first time since the heyday that his voice was gone (obviously he later re-discovered it).

I listened to the Catcher demo yesterday for the first time in ages and I practically cried. I still will NEVER wrap my mind around what the living hell Axl was thinking by altering the original version. What was logical in trading out Brian "Goddamn Rock N' Roll Hall of Famer" May, for Ron? I don't get it. I never will. It's not the say that the studio version is dreadful, but yeah... it's a trainwreck of garbage compared to the demo.

Listening to it, I feel the same thing you do Furbush, the original was such a beautful, haunting, tragedy of a song. Axl's vocal, the flow, how Brian's solo (despite being in pieces) beautifully merged and gave the song almost a scream and cry through guitar. It was a masterpiece. One of the best GN'R songs ever recorded, and arguably one of the best Brian songs ever recorded, counting his Queen catalog.

I will never get it. Hopefully the Chinese sessions will be released one day, and the original Catcher in HQ-studio form will end of Disc 3 of "Bucket chunks" or something like that for us to finally get the true version.

Board footer