You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Reunited GUNS N' ROSES To Play New T-Mobile Arena In Las Vegas

Smoking Guns wrote:

Wouldn't happen but GNR and AC/DC would be awesome. But AC/DC is a bigger band than GNR. GNR and Motley would have kicked ass.  GNR PEARL JAM too would be huge.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

AC/DC and Metallica won't play second fiddle to GN'R.

Something in the range of SG and AIC would be realistic and appropriate. Motley, Bon Jovi etc. are too shit to share that ticket.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I can't see SG or AIC in an opening slot either...this isn't 1991 anymore ... both bands are legendary now

And unlikely to be an act that could show them up

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Lots of ties to AIC via Duff. Cantrell played on How To Be A Man, both Seattle scene guys. I think Mike Inez played on a Slash album or tour too. They have done their own headlining gigs but nothing like the Stadium tour they are talking about.

I called it few weeks back...bank on AIC as the opener smile

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I can't see SG or AIC in an opening slot either...this isn't 1991 anymore ... both bands are legendary now

AIC isn't a huge draw anymore. Not without Layne. They've actually played as an opener before. I'm surprised they haven't opened for GNR before.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

AIC sells out 5-6k amphiteaters. I wouldn't be surprised if their last solo tour out drew Soundgarden's. Excluding their co-headline with NIN.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

AIC opened for VR during their 2007 US Tour.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

AIC isn't a huge draw anymore. Not without Layne. They've actually played as an opener before. I'm surprised they haven't opened for GNR before.

they opened for gnr in Nijmegen Netherlands in 2006.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:

FlashFlood wrote:

AIC sells out 5-6k amphiteaters. I wouldn't be surprised if their last solo tour out drew Soundgarden's. Excluding their co-headline with NIN.

I love me some AIC & SG, but even those bands (interviews where Jerry, Sean & Chris Cornell) have alluded to the fact that GN'R were/are huge on a scale they never were and never will be. So much in fact that despite the faux hatred Seattle threw at them (when almost everyone was secretly a fan), couldn't understand why GN'R were given the gift all of those bands were starving for, and Axl couldn't seem to be less interested.

Regardless, AIC does good business, about the same as New GN'R, with GN'R having a slight edge. SG on the other hand, to my knowledge, there 'big reunion' has been almost purely artistic, because it hasn't resulted in ticket sales, nor album sales. SG is not Pearl Jam, and most people honestly don't know one single SG song past Black Hole goddamn Sun, and that's it. They might as well been one-hit wonders. AIC on the other hand has lived on better, despite the loss of Layne, by having many more instantly recognizable rock hits than SG, imo.

That's not to say SG aren't big and Chris Cornell a big name in rock, but to my knowledge they struggled to get promoter interest in a North American tour, and I thought linked up with NIN in order to help both bands tour.

AIC also has started to be more accepting to falling back on being a show opener for other artists, as opposed to being a headliner.

Neemo wrote:

AIC & SG are by no way "Legendary". Iconic is a proper word to describe them. Metallica & GN'R are legendary.

Soundgarden... you might be right, they could probably crush GN'R on a good night. But then again, Cornell can be vocally spotty these days no different than Axl.

AIC, not a chance. I've really enjoyed their comeback, their my 2nd favorite band, but I still ain't on the DuVall-train (sorry Flood). DuVall has done a great job filling in, but I just... feel they could do better. What's Aaron Lewis doing these days? I'm sure he'd love the gig. I just feel AIC live, without Layne, has a massive hole, that could be filled by bringing someone in that does the material justice.

The problem I wonder is Jerry. Jerry now fully has control of this band with Layne's death, and no longer has to share the spotlight. If someone like an Aaron Lewis was there, Jerry might feel HE would get blown off the stage each night. Jerry has never struck me as egotistical, but still.

SG & PJ are locked in. AIC in the studio is locked in. I just feel they could do better by replacing DuVall. He's good, but they could be great again with the right guy.

Last time I heard Metallica, they had seen their better days. They had the same problem GN'R currently has. Talented band, with a touch & go frontman/singer.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

AIC opened for VR during their 2007 US Tour.

Great point. Granted they were still rebuilding at that time, and didn't have any hit comeback songs out on the radio at the time like they did with Black Gives Way To Blue in 2009, and cuts like Check My Brain & Your Decision.

Granted VR did have Scott Weiland & Slash... but come on... if AIC will open for VR, they'll jump at the chance to open for the real GN'R.

Board footer