You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Glenn Frey dead

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Sad to see him go but he was the Axl dictator type of the Eagles I think. And gave Don Feldor basically no credit for any of the killer guitar work he laid down.

I would put more money on Feldor expecting too much and not knowing the pecking order. Fry and Henley were always the core of that band.

They had some great tunes. I'm definitely a fan. Great tunes to spark up and think about days gone by.

I'm with ID, What the fuck lately?  Sad days in rock and roll.

It wasn't so much pecking order, it was that Feldor always thought he was somehow being held back by Don Henley & Glenn. Don Henley was more agreeable and just took the silent approach, but Don Henley also forced Glenn to be the tough guy Detroit Motorcity rock street kid, and be the muscle. Glenn had no problem telling people to get their shit together and get the fuck out there and be professionals. Sure he was an ASSHOLE at times, but alot of the time Don Henley let him be the bad guy... 'cause he was good at it, lol.

Like when Randy Meisner refused to sing, and just got to where he didn't want to perform the hits. Frey was the one to go in there and threaten to beat his ass if he didn't get out on stage. Don Henley agreed with Glenn, but kinda let Glenn do it, because Glenn was more youthful and kinda hot-headed.

Feldor was one who felt he was equal parts with Don & Glenn, and even above the great Joe Walsh (he's not), later on in The Eagles days before disbandment, Feldor, who had always wrote music, started to "demand" to sing them as well, or otherwise -- you can't have my songs.

It became difficult for the band, and what Glenn tried to explain to Don was that even he (Glenn), was technically Don Henley's backup singers. They had one of the great rock vocalists in rock in the band -- let him sing it. He's good at it. But Don Feldor refused and just got to where he was non-negotiable. Finally (can't remember the song), the band let Don Feldor do a take in the studio. They listened. It was okay, decent. Then they let Don Henley do a take of Feldor's song. It was amazing, 1000 times better. Because Henley > Feldor.

However what Feldor didn't understand is why they would let Henley, Frey & Walsh sing however much they wanted, and even gave Timothy Schmidt (I believe) some solo stuff, but would always put up a fight with Feldor. I don't think Henley or Frey really cared that much for Feldor's singing. Joe Walsh said he could care less I believe, and by that point, Timothy was so new -- he didn't have a vote.

Either way, Feldor got to a point he and Frey had such hatred and contempt for each other, Feldor left the band shortly before they folded in 1981.

When they reunited in 1994, Feldor was asked to re-join the popular Hotel California lineup, and he did. But Frey said that immediately there were issues. Feldor wanted to be paid on the level of Henley & Frey, and they balked. Finally an agreement was reached and the Hell Freezes Over tour happened. Everything was cool, everyone was happy. Until they had to do some contract re-negotiation in 1999, and basically Don Feldor overplayed his hand finally. All the contracts were drawn up, waiting to be signed by the band, and Feldor pulled an 11th hour deal where he refused to sign if he wasn't paid Henley & Frey's fees, or something like that. Glenn flipped, and basically said if he wasn't down there in 10 minutes, he was fucking fired, and he wasn't bluffing this time. He and Don Henley were both over coddling Feldor's ego, when they felt he was a #4 player in the band. And that was it, Feldor was dropped.

Feldor being dropped 'caused a HUGE rift in The Eagles fanbase, that is still a massive open wound to this day. Even though Don Henley & Joe Walsh have come out and openly said they had respect for Don Feldor, but respected Glenn's decision and agreed with it... Glenn was made out to be the bad guy. Don Feldor also baby-faced on the deal and acted like he missed his friends, which made Glenn look even more like a dick.

Glenn I think always looked at Feldor, the same way Axl looked at Matt Sorum. You're not all that, and every time I let you in, you pull some bullshit and point the finger at me. Better to just keep you out of the mix.

With Frey being dead now, ALLLLLL of their fanbase have already started the petitions to "Bring Back Feldor".

Glenn Frey would be rolling over in his grave knowing his replacement in The Eagles was a man he couldn't be in the same room with for more than 5 minutes without wanting to wrap his hands around his throat.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Soundtrack of my youth

RIP Glenn

When you get to heaven, give 'em an alias, in case somebody squeals 22

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm a Henley nutswinger to my dying day............but no Frey= no Eagles. Fuck any fan petitions wanting Feldor back for one more run. Let it go. The 90s reunion of the Eagles was the 2000s reunion of GNR.....wasn't supposed to happen yet it did. It was a massive success and now that Frey is dead just let it die with dignity.

Talking Eagles.....reunion should've happened at Henley's MTV Unplugged session in 89-90. Total wasted opportunity. I know Henley had a killer album to promote but come on....would have been amazing. Some may not know this but Frey showed up during Henley's rehearsal for Unplugged and they were talking. No one knew what the discussion entailed but as soon as they noticed people witnessing their discussion they both said "It's NOT what you think.". They were killing any potential gossip and rumors right then and there.

I always had a feeling that Frey was putting out reunion feelers there and Henley balked. Wound up waiting five more years for it to happen.......at a Hell Freezes Over concert shown repeatedly on......MTV.

RIP Frey. I preferred Henley but some of Frey's solo hits are incredible.

The One You Love (this one'll make me cry)
The Heat Is On
You Belong To The City
---
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Take It Easy
Lyin Eyes

He has other great songs but that's my creme de la creme right there.

Its early in the year and we're losing legends already. I think 2016 is going to be a bad year for this. Everyone we grew up on and those even older are all in the 50s-80s range.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fucking A!  Axlin bringing the fucking heat in the Eagles!  Awesome work Axlin....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm a Henley nutswinger to my dying day............but no Frey= no Eagles. Fuck any fan petitions wanting Feldor back for one more run. Let it go. The 90s reunion of the Eagles was the 2000s reunion of GNR.....wasn't supposed to happen yet it did. It was a massive success and now that Frey is dead just let it die with dignity.

Talking Eagles.....reunion should've happened at Henley's MTV Unplugged session in 89-90. Total wasted opportunity. I know Henley had a killer album to promote but come on....would have been amazing. Some may not know this but Frey showed up during Henley's rehearsal for Unplugged and they were talking. No one knew what the discussion entailed but as soon as they noticed people witnessing their discussion they both said "It's NOT what you think.". They were killing any potential gossip and rumors right then and there.

I always had a feeling that Frey was putting out reunion feelers there and Henley balked. Wound up waiting five more years for it to happen.......at a Hell Freezes Over concert shown repeatedly on......MTV.

RIP Frey. I preferred Henley but some of Frey's solo hits are incredible.

The One You Love (this one'll make me cry)
The Heat Is On
You Belong To The City
---
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Take It Easy
Lyin Eyes

He has other great songs but that's my creme de la creme right there.

Its early in the year and we're losing legends already. I think 2016 is going to be a bad year for this. Everyone we grew up on and those even older are all in the 50s-80s range.

Hope to God, none of these death issues affect GN'R in anyway. I don't worry too much about Izzy, Duff & Dizzy, as well as the new Guns, but... Slash is seemingly in good shape but has a bad history that has had to have an adverse affect on his body, we still don't know what kind of shape Axl is going to show up in, and if Steven isn't at the reunion or if he IS at the reunion -- both he should be on suicide watch. Wouldn't be shocked if he wasn't included, it breaks his heart, and if he is included, he ends it after one final bow. Maybe i'm projecting, but based on what i've seen on Celeb Rehab, he's a very fragile person.

Just fyi, regarding that MTV Unplugged deal where Frey showed up at Henley's gig... at that time Henley was still riding the wave of success after Boys of Summer. Henley I think didn't feel he needed The Eagles, and it certainly wasn't on his priority list. Feldor's solo career had already bombed and it had been years since Heavy Metal.

Frey I think was fine with letting it die when he thought he was going to have an acting career, not to mention had extreme luck in scoring some quick hits in the mid-80's, very intelligently tying his music in with soundtracks, like The Heat Is On being on Beverly Hills Cop. I believe the song also popped up on an episode of Hardcastle & McCormick in the Fall of 1985. Same thing tying in Smuggler's Blues & You Belong To The City on Miami Vice, which was at its zenith of hotness & popularity during that 1985 period. He appeared in that iconic "Smuggler's Blues" episode of Vice, and it was supposed to be turned into a recurring role, but for some reason when it came time to reprise the role the following year in a sequel episode, he backed out and was replaced by Gary Cole, playing a similar character.

He then had that recurring role on "Wiseguy" in early 1989, and when that ran it's course, as Wiseguy had arc's and once they were finished the slate was wiped clean, he was left looking for work.

Seemed to me that when that Wiseguy role ended, the acting career did too and he hadn't had a big hit song in years. Suddenly, he was nosing around Henley looking for work and ready to put it back together. Like he had gotten all his solo aspirations out of his system. I came, I saw, I conquered, now time to go back to The Eagles.

Henley wasn't ready yet. His solo career was still thriving. The End of Innocence was like 6x Plat. and although it was deeper, it still spawned several hits, like the title track and The Heart of the Matter. I think by the early 90's Don Henley was largely out of the mainstream rock scene and his music was starting to be relegated to the AOR/Soft rock charts, as opposed to the actual rock charts which was obviously dominated by you know who -- GN'R. By 1994, rock was in a holding pattern of sorts, because even the grunge craze had kinda died, Nirvana was dead, AIC was on life support, GN'R was on life support, and everyone had decided Pearl Jam was everyone's favorite new rock band... the iron was hot for an Eagles reunion.

Really, for all those classic rock fans, real rock to them, that would never be caught dead at a PJ show, was dying to have something, and The Eagles was the best thing going. Nobody sure as shit wasn't waiting around for another Brian Howe-fronted Bad Company & Damn Yankees tour, that's for sure.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin's favorite member!!!!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

He doesn't sing THAT bad at ALL!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Nobody ever said Felder sings bad. Heavy Metal is one of the great rockin' songs of the 80's and certainly his one-hit wonder, and it easily sounds like it could be an Eagles B-side.

But listen to the videos you posted. Specifically the one with Tommy Shaw from Styx/Damn Yankees (funny, I mentioned them earlier and you posted Felder/Shaw).

Notice how much of a LEAD vocalist Shaw is? Like he fuckin' born to be a lead vocalist? That's all Frey was getting at. Felder sounds GOOD on Hotel Cali, but Felder is NOT Don Henley. Don Henley has one of those unique voices in rock that can't be duplicated. Hell, Tommy Shaw vocally sounds better on Hotel California in that video than Felder.

Felder was talented, without a doubt. Vocally, he was good. But the problem was Felder was in a SUPERGROUP of vocalists. So, let's say Henley doesn't sing "Victim of Love" (the song in question), the next guy in line would be Frey, and after that would be Walsh. THREE layers of vocalists to go through, before Felder gets a shot, at his own song that he wrote. But the thing is, Felder brought the song to the band, and demanded to sing it and that be the final version, and the band decided Henley's version, and rightfully so, was far superior.

Some guys are just not born to be the main guy. Felder reminds me of a more talented Dizzy Reed. Dizzy is cool, and imo brings a very unique Stones-ey thing to GN'R keys. Dizzy's the man, and doesn't get enough credit. But i'd be the first guy to tell you Dizzy isn't Axl Rose -- ON PIANO. Forget Axl's vocals, to me Axl is a superior pianist to Dizzy, despite the fact Axl's not a full-time keyboardist in GN'R. And regardless of Dizzy, most of GNR's piano pieces are still written by Axl. Dizzy Reed is talented for sure, and is Original Guns as far as i'm concerned, but i'd be the first person to tell you, he's not Axl. He's not Slash. He's not Izzy. He's not Duff. And frankly, he's not Tommy Stinson. That's five guys to wade through, 'til you hit the 6th man (ironic, right?) of Dizwald.

Felder is kind of the same story. It's not bad, but come the fuck on. You are in a band with Don Henley. If he's singing your song, Henley could be fucking drunk, and his take is gonna be better. Glenn's take is gonna be better. Joe's is gonna be better. Hell Timothy's is gonna be better. HELL, Tommy fucking Shaw's take is gonna be better.

Don Felder is the fucking man... but come on... Henley, Frey, & Walsh are rock legends in my book. Walsh is a fucking legend just based off of Rocky Mountain Way alone, regardless of Eagles material later on. That riff is all time.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I gotcha Axlin.. I agree he is not as good as the others, but he is pretty fucking solid especially when you take into account his guitar playing.. Seems like a likable guys too... I was giving you a hard time...

Tommy Shaw rocks... He is the real deal..

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The Eagles -- "Victim of Love" (the song in question on Hotel California)

Eagles original studio cut (lead vocal--Henley)

Felder's modern day live cut (lead vocal--Felder)

Even 1979-81 Felder, whether in the studio or live, COULD NEVER, even if he put Christopher Reeve's Superman suit on, surpassed Henley's vocal on "Victim of Love". Henley's vocals was a smooth as butter, and timeless, and it was probably effortless too. Felder on the other hand... who knows. I can't remember if the original studio cut showed up in the History of the Eagles doc or just Henley's version, either way again -- Henley > Felder.

Board footer