You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Steven Tyler says that he has been working on the return of GN'R

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The most vocal one of all(Slash) will be in the deepest doo doo although the GNR brand itself could not recover either.

True, but one of the things giving me the creeps about this reunion is the level of silence from Slash about it.

I know they've officially confirmed it with the twitter posts and so on....but still....compare this with the level of promo slash did for his solo album or anything else and it gives me the vibe that a "big machine" a'int behind this effort.

Slash and Duff may be back but this is going down in the secret squirrel way of the past 20 years - right down to the interview cancellation on TV the other week.

I mean, god, what should have happened (hahah imagine how Axl would hate me reading about what he SHOULD do haha) but from an industry perspective they should be doing interviews, slash riding the guitar mags, new album dropping, huge world tour, slash and duff attending the opening of an envelope...that it's not going down like that either means they're planning something massive....or....

Everything still is going the team brazil way and slash is smart enough now to know that he needs to shut up in the media to not piss off Axl and destroy it......which makes me worry about how close everyone is....seems more like they've been invited to rejoin the band...but they're not exactly hanging out writing songs in the back of van together either would be my guess......

James Lofton wrote:

You bring up Van Halen.....and it may be a very valid reunion to compare it to. VH were very silent during the entire run. Hardcore fans were livid.

Ahh...there was such a buzz about VH on here that I think i must have remembered it wrongly then.

I'll stick with my Ac/Dc Rock or Bust example then - look at how the band handled the forced (via illness) retirement of younger and key member malcom and the loss of classic era drummer phil rudd. They came back with a new album and Angus and Brian did the circus err...circuit of the media.

I guess what i'm saying is when those things happened, they felt planned, they felt like the industry, labels and media was behind it.

This to me feels more like everyone went "sure why not" and are going around trying not to fuck it up.

Like why did Axl cancel that tv show? Why don't they just say which drummers they use?

Will this be a one off show or a world tour? Does the band plan to record?

What is to be gained from the secrecy?

Don't mean to be complaining i'm just wondering why it's happening as it is....and without an explanation I worry not much has changed...which is to me a worry...as the past 30 years of Axl's career have seen him release 1 album, 1 dvd and 1 soundtrack song or something along those lines. Up to him what he does I know....it just seems a waste of someone I consider to be amongst the best talents ever.

Don't get me wrong some reunion shows are great, but in the history of the world...more GNR recordings would trump playing jungle one more time.

Then again when i say stuff like that I understand why Axl gets over it all, i mean who wants to be responsible for the history of the world lol

James Lofton wrote:

I already said this but its great to see you back. I wish you had been here when this reunion hoopla first started.

Thanks dude - great to be back smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Rex wrote:

All this -blank- is dead talk is fucking weird. There's plenty of good music out there. Just because it's not being spoon-fed to you doesn't mean it's not there.

Partly true. But even in the underground there's alot of regurgitated shit. I personally think the best music out there is the Soundclound Synth/EDM/80sElectronicRevisionism whatever the fuck scene you'd call it. But that's just me. I listen to a shit load of those no-name artists out there that grew up on John Carpenter scores and consider him a God.

I put it to you this way Rex. I initially disdained Ghost, and i've started listening to those guys... just because it's fucking different. Something.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Monkey, you said Axl has only released 1 album in 30 years. Might want to check your math on that one. 30 years ago was 1986, not 1996. tongue

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Monkey, you said Axl has only released 1 album in 30 years. Might want to check your math on that one. 30 years ago was 1986, not 1996. tongue

Oppps...sorry typo....should be 20 years!

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative to Axl...I just love his songs so much that it intrigues me - I feel it's really notable how many products came out back in the 'heyday' compared to now.

I wonder what changed? Did Axl run out of ideas? (The talk of his friends suggests not), Does the business side overwhelm him? (Sounds like the label issues/fights cause a lot of problems), Does he just not want to?

I just think it's a shame, obviously Axl has enough money that he can do whatever he likes in life, but when someone is so good at something...and when you think one day there will be no more chances....it makes me kinda wistful of what could be.

It's like how Duff gave an interview after the bomb of libertad saying he felt VR hadn't yet written their best album. That's not going to happen now.

When people talk of the CD saga they talk of blame and what people should do. It's not even about that to me. It's just a shame things have worked out how they have: Classic GNR is one of the best bands of all time, and I'll confess I'm a huge fan of Chinese Democracy too whether or not "it is GNR" and all that. In some other universe there's more classic GNR or the follow ups to CD actually happened.

Hopefully this reunion sparks the release of some vintage material at least.

I guess if I was Axl i'd feel all that as pressure, but hey, it's hard as a fan - how can you not want more of what you like?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The most vocal one of all(Slash) will be in the deepest doo doo although the GNR brand itself could not recover either.

True, but one of the things giving me the creeps about this reunion is the level of silence from Slash about it.

I know they've officially confirmed it with the twitter posts and so on....but still....compare this with the level of promo slash did for his solo album or anything else and it gives me the vibe that a "big machine" a'int behind this effort.

Slash and Duff may be back but this is going down in the secret squirrel way of the past 20 years - right down to the interview cancellation on TV the other week.

I mean, god, what should have happened (hahah imagine how Axl would hate me reading about what he SHOULD do haha) but from an industry perspective they should be doing interviews, slash riding the guitar mags, new album dropping, huge world tour, slash and duff attending the opening of an envelope...that it's not going down like that either means they're planning something massive....or....

Everything still is going the team brazil way and slash is smart enough now to know that he needs to shut up in the media to not piss off Axl and destroy it......which makes me worry about how close everyone is....seems more like they've been invited to rejoin the band...but they're not exactly hanging out writing songs in the back of van together either would be my guess......

James Lofton wrote:

You bring up Van Halen.....and it may be a very valid reunion to compare it to. VH were very silent during the entire run. Hardcore fans were livid.

Ahh...there was such a buzz about VH on here that I think i must have remembered it wrongly then.

I'll stick with my Ac/Dc Rock or Bust example then - look at how the band handled the forced (via illness) retirement of younger and key member malcom and the loss of classic era drummer phil rudd. They came back with a new album and Angus and Brian did the circus err...circuit of the media.

I guess what i'm saying is when those things happened, they felt planned, they felt like the industry, labels and media was behind it.

This to me feels more like everyone went "sure why not" and are going around trying not to fuck it up.

Like why did Axl cancel that tv show? Why don't they just say which drummers they use?

Will this be a one off show or a world tour? Does the band plan to record?

What is to be gained from the secrecy?

Don't mean to be complaining i'm just wondering why it's happening as it is....and without an explanation I worry not much has changed...which is to me a worry...as the past 30 years of Axl's career have seen him release 1 album, 1 dvd and 1 soundtrack song or something along those lines. Up to him what he does I know....it just seems a waste of someone I consider to be amongst the best talents ever.

Don't get me wrong some reunion shows are great, but in the history of the world...more GNR recordings would trump playing jungle one more time.

Then again when i say stuff like that I understand why Axl gets over it all, i mean who wants to be responsible for the history of the world lol

James Lofton wrote:

I already said this but its great to see you back. I wish you had been here when this reunion hoopla first started.

Thanks dude - great to be back smile

Good observations. There is definitely a sense of Slash and Duff joining Axl's routine here. Even if tour dates were still being negotiated there is no reason to not go on tv and say "we are doing a tour, we're back, we'll be all over the place". Feed the media a juicy story or two and let the click bait start. Why not do something like that? Because that's not how Axl's band operates. Here everything is a maybe at the last minute. Slash and Duff probably haven't even met Axl yet.

At the moment there is little feeling this is being handled professionally, full out. It appears Axl has given the nod on a reunion, literally, a now everything is being handled with baby steps. TV interview is booked, then cancelled. Coachella which should have been the big return, is now being usurped by Vegas shows. The grand strategy isn't looking like a whole lot. All signs leading to a normal state of affairs, with every decision being tip toed in front of Axl, mulled and weighed. Inconclusive ramblings coming back, directives maybe. A show here, a show there. A media appearance, if he gets around to it.

We could very well be looking at a situation where they agreed they didn't hate each other a few years ago. Exchanging some texts as Slash said. Then Axl's people approached him and Duff with the prospect of a reunion. But keep quiet about it. And that's where we are at. Every prospective player on the tour not saying diddly squat about it. Because they all know Axl, they all know better than to even pass wind when the biggest carrot of their present careers is at stake. You can't even get Stevie Adler to make a peep when for once every media outlet is interested in what he has to say.

Hope to God I am wrong and this won't just be Slash and Duff filling in for DJ and Tommy on the Team Brazil nostalgia tour.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

On a related note...I remember Axl saying it was fun playing with Izzy again...and then it was less fun later when he found out what Izzy had charged them (or words to that effect)...but it's notable to me that Izzy came back without Axl handling that side of the negotiation...could be similar here...Slash and Duff are back but the terms of the deal has been done entirely by management.

I wonder if it's not even some trial basis - like slash has agreed to a handful of shows to see how it goes. Or Axl has agreed only to do a limited number of shows in general as his project for this year. No one has discussed recording, mounting a world tour or anything real as that might lead to a disagreement, and slash is hiding from the media as they will ask him questions he can't answer.

Hopefully i'm full of shit and there's something huge backstage.

But I remember when Axl said in 2002 someone booked a tour without him knowing, and I remember when he went on the trunk TV show and was told about it 30 mins prior.

Seems people kind of make plans in secret, then just wing it and run it past Axl when he seems to be in a good mood. Which might work I guess....but it's a shame when you think how this could be handled....

Where's the AFD remaster? Where's Chinese 2? Where's a new EP or something? Who is the drummer?

I guess they're all in my ass lol wink

It's sacrilege but sometimes I miss the influence of a major corporation like Geffen back in the 80s handling this stuff.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Ur prolly right monkey...they prolly don't know exactly how this is gonna play out or how ludicrous it could be so baby steps...they are prolly also taking advantage of the built in hype as everyone wonders what the band will look like on that first show

I imagine there is lot's of legal ramblings happening behind the scenes too to get this thing in order

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I meant that fans were livid over how things were handled post reunion. People were certainly excited Roth was back. It was when people realized Eddie had placed a gag ball in Roth's mouth that people realized it wasn't going to be how they had always envisioned it.

I miss the influence of a major corporation like Geffen

Me too. The whole new GNR era was handled terrible start to finish.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Oppps...sorry typo....should be 20 years!

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative to Axl...I just love his songs so much that it intrigues me - I feel it's really notable how many products came out back in the 'heyday' compared to now.

I wonder what changed? Did Axl run out of ideas? (The talk of his friends suggests not), Does the business side overwhelm him? (Sounds like the label issues/fights cause a lot of problems), Does he just not want to?

I just think it's a shame, obviously Axl has enough money that he can do whatever he likes in life, but when someone is so good at something...and when you think one day there will be no more chances....it makes me kinda wistful of what could be.

It's like how Duff gave an interview after the bomb of libertad saying he felt VR hadn't yet written their best album. That's not going to happen now.

When people talk of the CD saga they talk of blame and what people should do. It's not even about that to me. It's just a shame things have worked out how they have: Classic GNR is one of the best bands of all time, and I'll confess I'm a huge fan of Chinese Democracy too whether or not "it is GNR" and all that. In some other universe there's more classic GNR or the follow ups to CD actually happened.

Hopefully this reunion sparks the release of some vintage material at least.

I guess if I was Axl i'd feel all that as pressure, but hey, it's hard as a fan - how can you not want more of what you like?

He's one of the biggest wastes of talent in the history of music. One of a kind voice and basically wasted 10 years of his prime (mid-90's to mid-2000's). But the flip side is that he has had a lot of mental problems to deal with and you could say we are lucky to have as much material as we do. Based on all the issues he had as a kid and teenager, he probably belongs in jail or a mental institution.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But I remember when Axl said in 2002 someone booked a tour without him knowing, and I remember when he went on the trunk TV show and was told about it 30 mins prior.

Seems people kind of make plans in secret, then just wing it and run it past Axl when he seems to be in a good mood. Which might work I guess....but it's a shame when you think how this could be handled....

There's also the dvd issues, as well as other stuff.

This is what confuses me about the Axl/TB relationship. Who is really in charge? I can not imagine Metallica's management, booking tours and interviews without Lars and James knowing. Lars in particular, is very much in control of Metallica. Yet with GNR, at times there seems to be a "Deep State" type of situation. Well I do remember when the name "Team Brazil" got questioned by fans, and it was said, the name doesn't just refer to the Lebis family, but to others who keep the GNR machine going.

Board footer