You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: TOMMY STINSON: Classic GN'R Reunion 'Will BeHealing Thing' For Them"

James wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Interesting read...

Kind of does come across like this reunion is quite a pragmatic move by Axl. Whatever the reasons, I hope having a semblance of the original band back will re-energise him creatively - focused, charismatic and edgy performances hopefully with new music created also. A big 'comeback' single with a simple cool clip could be a huge boost for this comeback I reckon. The youtube age of of promoting music is powerful and needs to be taken advantage of. Watching that 'Baby Rann' clip by Izzy - man they could have worked that up as a perfect Guns song. Great to see he is still able to pen songs like that.

Yeah that's the best Izzy song in years.

As far as a comeback single I am really hoping the label has a new GH in the pipeline because IMO if we get a new song this year it will be due to that type of release. I guess they could just as easily release a single for Itunes/video on youtube but its been 12 years since GH and they are overdue for another one......one with a great track list.

As for Slash, I haven't really watched or kept up with his solo work not being a fan of Myles.

Me either. I have multiple albums to catch up on.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Its why in 2009 when they came back I knew we weren't getting any new material with that lineup. It was nothing more than a touring lineup assembled and yeah I know they strummed a few guitars and emailed the files to one another. It was as far away from the Chinese project as you could get without an actual reunion..........and here we are.

Although one thing i'll give 2009 is that to me this era was the first that felt a bit different. Like 2001, 2002 and 2006 all had the "top secret album coming soon" vibe and the 2009 Asian tour felt a bit different because the band could actually play the other CD songs as a legitimate part of the setlist - we got TWAT, scrapped, If the world, and This I love starting to be relatively normal - as well as the then established CD, Street of Dreams, Maddagascar....hell even prostitute got an airing at osaka...s I recall....to me it felt like the band was actually standing behind the CD album at first....

Not to mention Axl's vocals were in pretty good raspy passionate shape here too....What's interesting is how fast it dropped off....2010 was good but heading back to the Rocket Queen not Scrapped style setlist and by 2012 it was AFD vegas.

But I wonder what exists from this era in the vault. For example the re-mix we had 6 seconds of This I Love. Vocals on that sounded better than the studio cut to me.

James Lofton wrote:

I know quite a few people liked that lineup and there's certainly nothing wrong with that but IMO the 2009-15 era was a complete waste, at least creatively speaking.  Not ONE song released or recorded in six years and he had an album's worth of material recorded eons ago to cherry pick a track from. The Ashba era lasted the length of the classic era.  Its why I don't understand the supposed resistance to a reunion in that time frame. It was crystal clear that GNR was no longer a creative entity. I also never understood FAN resistance to it in this time frame either. Its like some people were expecting Axl to throw a hail mary at the last second when he wasn't even in the game.

I agree from about 2012. To me 2009 and 2010 still had promise as it felt like the band *MIGHT* move on - some leaks of new versions of stuff - people like bumble actively hastling the band in the media to at least do a new track - Axl doing unusual songs...at first i felt it was going somewhere....agree from 2012-15 it's been holding pattern though...no offence to people who enjoyed the vegas run...but to me I struggle to even watch that DVD as i'm like "this sucks compared to osaka 2009" or literally 3 or 4 other boots around from earlier....it was sort of too little too late and felt phoned in to me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This whole Tommy revelation is VERY interesting.

So it validates all the rumors that basically Axl's band all quit on him at once and basically forced his hands into a reunion.

The reality of it is... it was the rock Gods all parting the skies to make it happen.

Think about it...

DJ was going to have to go to Sixx:AM full time
Ron wanted out and they were ready to move on -- regardless
Tommy had personal issues and Mats stuff, he just become too busy
Slash had his solo deal, but Myles was going to have to go back to Alter Bridge in 2016 to push a new album
putting him on hiatus
Duff was basically unemployed and GN'R without a bassist

Seemed like all the chips kinda fell into place.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

This whole Tommy revelation is VERY interesting.

So it validates all the rumors that basically Axl's band all quit on him at once and basically forced his hands into a reunion.

The reality of it is... it was the rock Gods all parting the skies to make it happen.

Think about it...

DJ was going to have to go to Sixx:AM full time
Ron wanted out and they were ready to move on -- regardless
Tommy had personal issues and Mats stuff, he just become too busy
Slash had his solo deal, but Myles was going to have to go back to Alter Bridge in 2016 to push a new album
putting him on hiatus
Duff was basically unemployed and GN'R without a bassist

Seemed like all the chips kinda fell into place.

That is probably by design with the way the contracts were done.
They all seemed to end around the same time within a year or so.
And since no album was in sight they all bailed. too bad Frank didnt quit, he is such a terrible drummer.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I agree that the contracts were renewed, at some point, to all the way up to the 2014 residency.

In around April, in South America, Ron 'quit', according to a "confirmed source with the band." Curiously, this was when Duff was around. It's tempting to think Ron and Duff had a heart-to-heart, and Duff recalled the way he felt in '97. Ron would've seen Slash coming, anyway, and he had been chronically unhappy with Guns since 2011. He'd attempted suicide on tour, because of his back injury and the medication he was on.

In May, it was reported that Axl was putting the band on hiatus after the residency. This ties in with what Tommy said, they all 'left it in Vegas'. Axl and Duff had their own plans to hatch, and it was probably up in the air who would get the call, eventually. This was apparently all right with Tommy as well, as he had personal issues coming up that would possibly hinder his future touring with Guns.

In mid-June, Appetite for Democracy Blu-Ray, from the 2012 residency, is finally released. Two weeks later, DJ posts his letter and the source confirms Ron has also left the band. The band was on hiatus, so big deal. The Occam's Razor solution offered by many here is that both Ron and DJ simply accomodated the Blu-Ray release by announcing their exits after it hit.

They all left for their own reasons. With Ron and DJ, it was the lack of new songs and an album, along with the likelier undertaking to purge the CD vault. There's less to be gained in royalties by putting in a new guitar solo to a decade-old track. Also, Ron was up to here with Team Brazil and their irreverent attitude towards him as an employee / contract player, despite the many times he did more than his share to save the day. DJ, well. He had the album thing, too, but also, he was taking the heat, left, right and center. Deservedly so, to a degree.

AtomsNest
 Rep: 10 

AtomsNest wrote:

Does anyone remember the rumour about some nuGNR members banding together and negotiating as a block, to strengthen their position with management? If one left, they would all walk. Thus putting Axl and TB in a bind with having to replace numerous members.

I first read about it during an issue with DJ. IIRC Bumble was among, but tbh, I never paid much attention to nuGNR. I'd pop in and out for news every now and then, so I don't know who was in the group.

But it's interesting that these three have left at such a convenient time. When you think about it, they were the three whose position was the most precarious to a reunion.

I don't believe that Slash and Duff coming back was just down to timing. I doubt we'll really know what truly went on behind the scenes.

James

James wrote:

Does anyone remember the rumour about some nuGNR members banding together and negotiating as a block, to strengthen their position with management? If one left, they would all walk. Thus putting Axl and TB in a bind with having to replace numerous members.

I first read about it during an issue with DJ. IIRC Bumble was among, but tbh, I never paid much attention to nuGNR. I'd pop in and out for news every now and then, so I don't know who was in the group.

I never heard the details about this rumor either but I'd love to.

Be careful backing Axl into a corner like that. Also be careful with a generally fickle fan base that would instantly accept Roseanne Barr on drums and claim she is the next John Bonham before she even takes the stage. It reached the point where they were all replaceable due to the fact it was just a touring entity. They had no leverage. Tell Axl twenty minutes before showtime they want more money or they walk, he can grab some kid from the crowd who can play the SCOM solo. Problem solved. Hell, Axl had reached the point of hiring guitarists that couldn't even perform all the CD songs live. Before the 09 tour started Tommy said he was looking forward to performing Riad yet it never gets played.......because the new guy cant play it.

Many years ago I thought the 01 lineup should have issued an ultimatum but in hindsight I realize even that wouldn't have worked since the label was responsible for cluster fucking it at that point.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Meanwhile Axl changes his look to an updated version of his UYI look - classic rock - no braids - nothing rap like at all.

You think he recently looks like an updated version of the UYI Tour? I don't remember him wearing biker shorts lately. Thank God for that!

James Lofton wrote:

Team Brazil can't be blamed for everything. 13 They weren't even running the show during those crucial years. In hindsight I think Merck was much worse. A forum junkie who sat around all day answering emails from Madison and chineseblues and anytime someone mentions a CD song he throws out the old "We've got 20 songs better than that on the B list" chestnut that got old really quick.

The worst thing Merck did was the bullshit about "20 Tuesdays left in 2006" or whatever it was. Strung along everyone when he knew damn well nothing would happen.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:

I never heard the details about this rumor either but I'd love to.

I think it ties to the One Man Mutiny incident in 2010.

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

The worst thing Merck did was the bullshit about "20 Tuesdays left in 2006" or whatever it was. Strung along everyone when he knew damn well nothing would happen.

Actually Merck was right on the money about the album's roll out.....he was just 2 years off. It was thrown out there with little thought put into it or fanfare and let the chips fall where they may......which he pretty much told us would happen and was scolded for it.

Was funny how for years fans were told to treat everything that came out of Merck's mouth as pure gold and then when he's no longer the cat's meow we're supposed to hate him like he raped a convent full of nuns.

I never liked him to begin with. Amateur hour and he's the reason they started taking the forums too seriously.

I think it ties to the One Man Mutiny incident in 2010.

I remember that incident. I thought he might have been referring to something at the Vegas residency.

Board footer