You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Reunions

James wrote:

In the 21st century these were the four "big enchilada" reunions anticipated worldwide...

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
ABBA
Guns N' Roses

Three of these have happened and the ABBA reunion seems highly unlikely. IMO the ABBA reunion would not have been nearly as anticipated as the media always speculated it would be.  I could be wrong of course.

I was curious as to which bands that are left that you'd like to see reunite before the windows close. The amount of bands left to reunite is dwindling.

Here's mine....

Elastica

One of my all time favorite bands. I think their debut is one of the best albums of all time. An incredible snapshot of the mid 90s.

They were huge in the UK briefly in the early-mid 90s, mainly for Justine being a tabloid magnet and her connection(pardon the pun) to Suede and Blur. They were big here in the US during the summer of 95 for their hit 'Connection' and actually achieved more success here than the other huge Britpop bands at the time. Had Geffen Records been paying attention they could have pushed them to the moon as their success here was completely different than the Britpop wave going at the time and they didn't need to be tied in with that. No one here in the US gave the tiniest of shits about her relationship with Damon Albarn or the fact Noel Gallagher didn't like her. People here only cared about the music and they had a great image to match it.

Their success was brief. Major drug use and other internal strife slowly destroyed the band. Their long delayed and off and on work on their highly anticipated 2nd album The Menace turned into their Chinese Democracy long before Chinese Democracy existed. The loss of key band members, bringing in too many new members, off and on recording sessions that Justine would rarely show up for and would go skiing instead, a guitarist's attempt at taking control of the band, scrapping near finished material to start over, etc. and the cherry on top being the descent into heroin which caused none of them to care about it. Turned into a nightmare just to finish it.

When The Menace was released in 2000 it suffered an even harsher fate than CD....it was a beer coaster that the media wound up ignoring when just a few short years earlier would've ate it up and talked about it continuously. Even hardcore fans threw in the towel. Justine took out a bloated lineup that was Elastica in name only briefly to tour it. The tour got virtually no promotion here and they wound up playing to near empty clubs and even clubs in major cities had difficulty selling tickets. A then unknown artist and one of Justine's friends M.I.A. actually recorded the tour(not just the shows but backstage antics, the traveling,etc.) for a documentary but due to how the band was now perceived, the documentary was scrapped.

Justine saw the writing on the wall and in early 2001 decided to end Elastica. They released  one song for their fans and then that was it. Justine insinuated it might come back at some point but she was blowing some smoke up asses. She played wannabe DJ for awhile around European cities, played a role in getting MIA's career off the ground(she co-wrote Galang), and appeared on the BBC show Dreamspaces. Other than that, she vanished from the public completely for many years and dove into her life as a painter. In the handful of interviews since, will rarely even mention Elastica.

In the 15 years since the breakup, its as if they didn't exist. Their label in 2003 released the album The Radio One Sessions which was just their sessions from the mid 90s. It contained nothing new. No greatest hits, no proper re-releases, nada. No merchandise out there for anyone who might discover their music. They seem to have slipped through the cracks of time.

A reunion appears unlikely. Justine shows zero interest and no Justine=no Elastica.  Even though they have been off pop culture's radar for 15 years, I think this reunion would make some waves. Like with this GNR reunion, if one is ever going to happen, it needs to happen NOW.

If a one off, surprise reunion show happened in Britain it would make headlines simply due to the shock of its actual occurrence. Any type of one off is best case scenario. I don't think a tour of any kind(even in clubs) is feasible. An album is certainly out of the question.

THis reunion is the kind Coachella loves to make happen. I'd like to know if it was ever put on the table and if it hasn't, I would not be surprised if Coachella takes a stab at it next year. I am REALLY hoping that Axl is an Elastica fan and puts out feelers for Elastics to open one or two dates in Britain. It would create an even bigger buzz for the shows there but that's as far as Elastica piggybacking a GNR reunion would go. It would make zero sense to have them open any other shows than that.

So who else needs to reunite?

edit: I just googled ABBA and all members of ABBA made an appearance for the first time together 2 days ago but they did not perform. Holy shit. Looks like that one might happen as well.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Clone John Lennon...

I don't consider two or three songs at an event a proper reunion. A Pink Floyd tour, or just a full show, would be the nuts. I saw Waters perform Dark Side of the Moon at one of his shows, and while great I did miss Gilmour and Mason.

ABBA would be huge because of all the hits and the female crossover. You can still hear Dancing Queen every day on the radio. There aren't many bands with that mass appeal, not even Floyd and Zeppelin. Only Beatles could compete with it I think.

James

James wrote:

Funny you say to clone Lennon because I think a Beatles reunion, even just a one off, should have occurred in that mid 80s-mid 90s period with McCartney, Harrison, Ringo, and Julian Lennon.

I consider the Live 8 Floyd performance a reunion. No album or tour but it gave the fans what they needed...closure.

You're right about ABBA...after googling it I realized the media was right. 14 Just them standing together caused the world to go ape shit.

Just thought of another one off the top of my head although it wouldn't be massive.....Commodores. I don't even know if they're all still alive.

AtariLegend wrote:

An ABBA reunion tour would be significantly bigger than a Guns tour here at least anyway. I'm not an ABBA fan, but I know those hits and the demographics are well a bit bigger than from what each of us here come from.

I'm talking in the UK of course and I'm pretty sure it'd be the same throughout Europe.

James

James wrote:

Just thought of another one....

Savage Garden

That duo was massive in the late 90s and have not performed together since the breakup. Lead singer had a solo career but achieved nowhere near the success of Savage Garden. He also said years ago that a reunion would never happen but we all know how that "not in this lifetime" shit goes. As long as they are alive and not residing in rest homes, it is certainly possible. While I liked that album I am not a hardcore fan so I don't know the ins and outs of the band or why they broke up in the first place.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

polluxlm wrote:

Clone John Lennon...

I don't consider two or three songs at an event a proper reunion. A Pink Floyd tour, or just a full show, would be the nuts. I saw Waters perform Dark Side of the Moon at one of his shows, and while great I did miss Gilmour and Mason.

ABBA would be huge because of all the hits and the female crossover. You can still hear Dancing Queen every day on the radio. There aren't many bands with that mass appeal, not even Floyd and Zeppelin. Only Beatles could compete with it I think.

Sadly with the death of another important and founding member of the Floyd, "Richard Wright" a couple years ago, Pink Floyd ended on a high note with the album, "The Endless River" and Gilmour and Mason officially saying so in the press. The Live 8 Reunion with Waters is the last time you'll see the original band sans Syd Barrett ever again. Gilmour is still doing Pink Floyd cuts on his solo shows for his latest solo album which features a few appearances of Richard Wright. Roger Waters says he has one more album and solo tour in him. The Wall tour has finished and the concert film that was released a few months ago highlights the performances.

AtariLegend wrote:

I really don't think of any Floyd albums post "The Final Cut" as being Floyd albums. Some might even say "The Wall".

Gilmour sang (since Waters didn't like singing) and he played guitar, but he was better as a co-writer with Waters. Waters is responsible for the best/most interesting material the band created.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

AtariLegend wrote:

I really don't think of any Floyd albums post "The Final Cut" as being Floyd albums. Some might even say "The Wall".

Gilmour sang (since Waters didn't like singing) and he played guitar, but he was better as a co-writer with Waters. Waters is responsible for the best/most interesting material the band created.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason (while I like some of the songs on it) is probably the album I really don't call a PF album. Same with The Final Cut for the most part. I agree with what you are saying; but Pink Floyd ("the brand and name") was gained by Gilmour and Mason in 1986/87. I feel The Endless River is a Pink Floyd album since Wright is involved and alot of team that have worked with Floyd over the years are on it. Yes the album would of been superior with Waters' craftsmanship at lyrical wit and songwriting arrangements; but I was happy to get new music either way and I wasn't disappointed. They could of kept those sessions locked up ala Axl; but doing that for the fans and having Live 8 is more than enough to me. I don't think the 2011 O2 show for The Wall will be the last time Gilmour and Waters jam together though.

AtariLegend wrote:

I know the argument about The Final Cut, but in reality apart from vocals as far as writing goes... it's not much different from Animals.

The Endless River just sounds like the backing band jerking off. "Louder Than Words" the single just sounds like something Gilmour threw together in the time just after Waters was done.

I'm sorry, but Waters wasn't just the one who wrote most of the lyrics, who lead the recording sessions, played bass, wrote alot of the music, he was the soul of the band during it's peak.

He was the Axl and Izzy of the band combined. I can see the sentimental value of "The Endless River" and why people like "Learn to Fly" ect, but it's really not my thing. The material was too generic and even though people were still going in droves to see those shows, it was hoping to hear "Dark Side of The Moon", "Wish You Were Here", "Animals", "The Wall" and deep cuts not because of the generic noodling.

For those that aren't familiar with Floyd, think if Slash, Adler and Dizzy left to form their own band and got some person to write generic lyrics and just carried on. Meh pass.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Journey with Steve Perry, one last time. The opposite of Gnr, where the band carried on after the singer left/got fired.

Board footer