You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: DJ ASHBA 'Couldn't Be Happier' About Partial Reunion Of GUNS N' ROSES'

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Why would Nikki tell DJ to make a choice? GNR only tours for a handful of weeks a year if that - not like it would interfere with Sixx:AM all that much. I mean they've successfully done 3 albums already with DJ running between bands. Also you'd think from a marketing perspective that DJ also being "lead guitarist of Guns N Roses" wouldn't hurt them in terms of inch space in the mags either.

Axl and Nikki both had plans for 2016. Nikki gave DJ an ultimatum, Guns or Sixx AM. That's the way I heard it went down.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Why would Nikki tell DJ to make a choice? GNR only tours for a handful of weeks a year if that - not like it would interfere with Sixx:AM all that much. I mean they've successfully done 3 albums already with DJ running between bands. Also you'd think from a marketing perspective that DJ also being "lead guitarist of Guns N Roses" wouldn't hurt them in terms of inch space in the mags either.

Axl and Nikki both had plans for 2016. Nikki gave DJ an ultimatum, Guns or Sixx AM. That's the way I heard it went down.

Ahh ok...just seems odd...I've always considered GNR a very part time gig for the guys....like what has happened in the past 6 years? There was a month or two in Asia in 2009, then Australia in 2010, some English dates after that, something like a i30 date tour of the USA around 2012, and then 2 weeks in vegas spread over a couple of years.

It's not a band like Bon Jovi or Slash that's on the road most of the year.....Doesn't seem ultimatum worthy to me...but hey...maybe that's Nikki.....

I just think we have to be careful of saying CD2 would have come out this year but for DJ, as there seems to be a similar narrative all the time, like Bucket delayed CD1, then Robin, then Robin again.....now it's sequel would be out if it wasn't for DJ...sort of can't help but think it's not these people smile

I guess if he was given an ultimatum I can't blame DJ, he was in the band 6-7 years during which he apparently wrote songs and sent them through to Axl, but there's no timeline for that material to come to anything, and before it does we have to get out the rest of the 1999 stuff....and in the meantime he is a Slash/Robin cover player who is largely mocked by sections of the fans.....I can see a choice between continuing that and becoming a famous rockstar in your own right playing your own music.....with someone like Nikki who gets stuff done in a business sense....and also happens to be from DJ's other favourite band.....can't blame him really.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Articles like this are a waste of time. Who cares what Ashba thinks? He was a touring member of GN'R, and that's pretty much it. He wasn't very good at it either. Slash's parts aren't that hard to play, and he liked to simplify them a lot. At least Fortus, Finck, BBF, and Bucket put their own spin on it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Ahh ok...just seems odd...I've always considered GNR a very part time gig for the guys....like what has happened in the past 6 years? There was a month or two in Asia in 2009, then Australia in 2010, some English dates after that, something like a i30 date tour of the USA around 2012, and then 2 weeks in vegas spread over a couple of years.

It's not a band like Bon Jovi or Slash that's on the road most of the year.....Doesn't seem ultimatum worthy to me...but hey...maybe that's Nikki.....

I just think we have to be careful of saying CD2 would have come out this year but for DJ, as there seems to be a similar narrative all the time, like Bucket delayed CD1, then Robin, then Robin again.....now it's sequel would be out if it wasn't for DJ...sort of can't help but think it's not these people smile

I guess if he was given an ultimatum I can't blame DJ, he was in the band 6-7 years during which he apparently wrote songs and sent them through to Axl, but there's no timeline for that material to come to anything, and before it does we have to get out the rest of the 1999 stuff....and in the meantime he is a Slash/Robin cover player who is largely mocked by sections of the fans.....I can see a choice between continuing that and becoming a famous rockstar in your own right playing your own music.....with someone like Nikki who gets stuff done in a business sense....and also happens to be from DJ's other favourite band.....can't blame him really.

I think DJ made the right decision for him. He'll be getting more for touring, actually recording and producing his music, which wasn't guaranteed in GNR. And it seems to have worked out well for us too! smile

I'm curious about his comment he caught abuse from Axl, though.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

DJ didn't catch abuse from Axl. Axl strung DJ along, like he has every guitarist since Slash, keeping them in the band with the promise of making music together.

DJ also came into Guns a complete fanboy of the band (no different than his dealing with Motley Crue and why he's in Nikki's band), and DJ got all these thoughts in his head that he was going to be apart of something special, and actually BE GNR's guitarist, no different than Robin, Bucket & Ron.

DJ imo went back to Axl, only to find out Axl didn't have any plans to write or record with him and when "Dad" finally told the truth, DJ left and that post went up. DJ felt used, and DJ was used. Ballad of Death would've made a fine GN'R song.

DJ & Richard both started altering their style to match Slash's more. I wonder if there might've been some incentive in that to try to record some music.

Me thinks Axl is tortured by the memory of Slash. He didn't want him, yet can't move on from him, he wants to write differently, yet is only inspired by him...

The only snowball's chance in hell we'll have of getting new music is Slash. Never thought i'd EVER say that.

Lomax wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Just confirming what we all knew was coming. With Crue retiring, Nikki was going to start touring Sixx:AM and going full-time with it. DJ was either going to be on board or not. And the reality is, DJ has a really good home in Sixx:AM. Axl was never going to use him in GN'R.

Either way, it worked out for the best. Hopefully GN'R fans will be able to enjoy new Slash-GN'R music, as well as new Sixx:AM music, and get double their pleasure.

I honestly, no shit, could easily see Sixx:AM opening for a GN'R reunion tour. It's not a bad opener. They're popular to younger rock fans. Nikki Sixx appeals to old GN'R/Crue fans, and DJ is former GN'R. Seems to all kind of fit the fabric.

It'd be ironic if it happened.

That would be great.

He mad some cryptic statements about leaving GNR to make room for a reunion on Twitter a while back if I'm not mistaken?
He could have been just jumping on the zeitgeist and claiming "Oh yeah I did that on purpose" however.

Board footer