You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Re: DJ ASHBA 'Couldn't Be Happier' About Partial Reunion Of GUNS N' ROSES'

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist DJ Ashba says that he "couldn't be happier" for the band's fans that a partial reunion of GN'R's classic lineup is finally coming together.

Ashba, who joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck and stayed in the band until last July, was asked by Jaxon of Philadelphia's 93.3 WMMR radio station in a new interview if he has heard about singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan reuniting for an appearance at California's Coachella Music And Arts Festival. He said : "I did. And as far as that [goes], man, as a fan myself, I couldn't be more stoked for the fanbase. They've waited a long time for this to happen, and, God, it's so good that it's happening. I couldn't be happier for the fans, you know."

Ashba also talked about the difficulties of balancing his involvement in SIXX: A.M. with his touring activities as a member of GUNS N' ROSES. He said: "It was a lot of work, but I've gotta be honest, you know: I had the time of my life. I am beyond grateful to have shared the stage and had so many great memories and met so many great fans out there, and it was just a great time of my life. However, we did this last SIXX: A.M. run, and it just really kind of made me go, 'Wait a second! There is a huge difference here playing somebody else's songs and playing my own.' You know what I mean? I just felt every note I hit. And it's, like, 'Wow! This is where I need to be in.' It was that tour that made me realize, 'I need to go back to what I'm really about.' So I'm really, really stoked."

Ashba issued a statement in July 2015 saying that he was leaving GUNS N' ROSES. His statement read in part: "It is with a very heavy heart and yet great pride that I announce that I've decided to close this chapter of my life and encapsulate the wonderful times that I've shared with GUNS N' ROSES into fond memories. I have reached a point in my life where I feel its time to dedicate myself to my band SIXX: A.M., my adoring wife and family, and to the many new adventures that the future holds for me."

Ashba added: "I want to take a moment to thank Axl from the bottom of my heart for not only the most incredible experience of my life, but for truly believing in me. You are a true friend and a champion of mine and I am forever grateful. And even as I move on to pursue other endeavors, I will always remain one of your biggest fans. I also would like to thank each and every one of you fans for your love and support throughout the years."

Ashba said earlier in his statement that working with GUNS N' ROSES was "the most incredible journey I could have possibly imagined."

SIXX: A.M., which also features MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist Nikki Sixx and vocalist James Michael, is putting the finishing touches on a new double album, to be released in two parts this year.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dj-ash … SsxU8MZ.99

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just confirming what we all knew was coming. With Crue retiring, Nikki was going to start touring Sixx:AM and going full-time with it. DJ was either going to be on board or not. And the reality is, DJ has a really good home in Sixx:AM. Axl was never going to use him in GN'R.

Either way, it worked out for the best. Hopefully GN'R fans will be able to enjoy new Slash-GN'R music, as well as new Sixx:AM music, and get double their pleasure.

I honestly, no shit, could easily see Sixx:AM opening for a GN'R reunion tour. It's not a bad opener. They're popular to younger rock fans. Nikki Sixx appeals to old GN'R/Crue fans, and DJ is former GN'R. Seems to all kind of fit the fabric.

It'd be ironic if it happened.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Posted this here, originally.

DJ posted this about four days after his resignation letter, only to delete it.

apex-twin wrote:

284lqq.png
DJ Facebook, 07/31/15

After the laughter. A slight change of tone from

The amount of confidence and trust that Axl placed in me
...genuinely heartwarming and truly career-defining.
...play these incredible songs night after night to the most enthusiastic and loving crowds.
...the friendships that were forged during that time were deep and long lasting.
...the most beautiful surprise of all was YOU... the fans.

The FB tweet is more, 'The level of abuse from everyone and (at times) Axl was all but devastating. I got called out for who I was and who I was not. You're all mad.'

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

Asha is the worst guitar player GNR ever had. So glad he is gone.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Glad he's gone but once again it sounds like no new material was coming in a CD era GNR. Axl wanted to TOUR again....Tommy balked. Ashba chose Sixx over GNR and says he was sick of playing other peoples songs.

1+1=2 here. We were on the verge of getting another 'AFD disguised as Chinese Democracy' tour before band members started fleeing, which led to the reunion.

Its why new GNR fans shouldn't resist what happened. You weren't getting that album under those circumstances. You were gonna get DJ pretending to be Slash onstage again and praise Jesus he said no to it.

Now we have a chance to get something.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not entirely sure it's that cut and dry.

I'd speculate Tommy's 'personal reasons' to not tour relate more to his drinking than him getting fed up with Axl. He has looked progressively more worrisome on stage for a while - starting to look a bit like duff in the 1990s.

I still see no reason DJ wouldn't be able to do Sixx:Am as well as GNR. Come on - how many shows does Axl play a year? How "full time" will Nikki make Sixx Am - considering he's a millionaire in his late 50s? I believe they will write and tour albums - but the nature of these things always have a down time when DJ could sneak off and do some GNR shows.....

I could imagine it like this:

Bumble: Leaves because been frustrated for years, recent cancer scare made him realise his solo music is more important to him than he realised.

Tommy: Leaves for medical issues - perhaps drinking related.

Then I wonder if DJ wasn't told that a reunion was in the works and given a polite window to exit with some grace.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Axlin16 wrote:

Just confirming what we all knew was coming. With Crue retiring, Nikki was going to start touring Sixx:AM and going full-time with it. DJ was either going to be on board or not. And the reality is, DJ has a really good home in Sixx:AM. Axl was never going to use him in GN'R.

Either way, it worked out for the best. Hopefully GN'R fans will be able to enjoy new Slash-GN'R music, as well as new Sixx:AM music, and get double their pleasure.

I honestly, no shit, could easily see Sixx:AM opening for a GN'R reunion tour. It's not a bad opener. They're popular to younger rock fans. Nikki Sixx appeals to old GN'R/Crue fans, and DJ is former GN'R. Seems to all kind of fit the fabric.

It'd be ironic if it happened.

I could see it being in the cards. Never really had a problem with DJ despite some cheesiness here and there.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

DJ left because Nikki told hAxlo make a choice, after swearing to Axl he wouldn't go back. He really left them in the lurch. CD II was coming out in 2016... I'd reckon it still is, but if its true Slash was laying down guitar work in the studio for GNR, I'd say anything DJ laid down is gone.  THANK GOD.

I would say DJ is not Axl's favorite person.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Why would Nikki tell DJ to make a choice? GNR only tours for a handful of weeks a year if that - not like it would interfere with Sixx:AM all that much. I mean they've successfully done 3 albums already with DJ running between bands. Also you'd think from a marketing perspective that DJ also being "lead guitarist of Guns N Roses" wouldn't hurt them in terms of inch space in the mags either.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Glad he's gone but once again it sounds like no new material was coming in a CD era GNR. Axl wanted to TOUR again....Tommy balked. Ashba chose Sixx over GNR and says he was sick of playing other peoples songs.

1+1=2 here. We were on the verge of getting another 'AFD disguised as Chinese Democracy' tour before band members started fleeing, which led to the reunion.

Its why new GNR fans shouldn't resist what happened. You weren't getting that album under those circumstances. You were gonna get DJ pretending to be Slash onstage again and praise Jesus he said no to it.

Now we have a chance to get something.

At the end of the day all fingers point to Axl wasting the talent he brought on board (over and over), and ultimately being a lazy ass.

Board footer