You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Bands/Artists that should have been bigger

Gunslinger wrote:

Kings X and Perry/4 Non Blondes...great calls.  King's X was fantastic (didn't the singer do some cool song with Cornell and some other top musicians once? Seems like it was a tribute to a fallen friend who died from an OD?) As far as Perry, she is freaking amazing on what little I've heard of her.  What's Going On was incredible and her cover of the VH classic "I'm The One" was gold as well.  My argument for listing Mad Season is they should have been bigger regardless of another album or intentions for long-term or not.  The album is simply amazing.  I don't think they could have ever topped that debut either however.  I don't think any other Mad Season songs were ever released other than I Don't Want To Be a Soldier from the John Lennon Tribute (which was excellent) but I have the live boots from the few shows they played.  I'll try and up them down the road.  All the stuff from the album is included, a live version of Soldier and a few jams like Voodoo Child/Running With the Devil/Black Mirror.  Great band. 

For anyone wanting to give Candlebox a chance the debut and Happy Pills are a must.  If you really want to hear the best that Ugly Kid has go check out Menace to Sobriety, less hits but all kick-ass songs.  This band also has one of the best bass players I've ever heard.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Kings X and Perry/4 Non Blondes...great calls.  King's X was fantastic (didn't the singer do some cool song with Cornell and some other top musicians once? Seems like it was a tribute to a fallen friend who died from an OD?).

I never heard that, it's possible though. 

I know at one point he was going to do something with Either Jeff Ament or Mike McCready from Pearl Jam(I don't remember which).  If that ever actually came out I never heard it.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Since this has become the grunge-era bands that should have been bigger (I kid ... maybe), I'm gonna list some stuff that's a little more in my vein. Orgy should have been bigger. Orgy blew up with a cover single and then were never able to sustain it. Vapor Transmission is a superior album to Candyass, and Punk Statik Paranoia, being more radio-friendly, would have found much greater success with the proper promotion. I love all three. Shotgun Messiah was a great glam metal band that crossed into industrial and made their best album, Violent New Breed, but throughout their entire career could never come out of the shadows and really make their own name. Tim Skold, taking the reins of the band, was ahead of his game by adopting the industrial flourishes even on Second Coming. Shotgun Messiah is a kick ass band that never made it big enough. Then Skold did a phenomenal solo album that also went nowhere fast. It's now out of print. Kevin McMahon's Prick squandered around for years until releasing a killer studio debut courtesy Trent Reznor's Nothing Records. They got a spot featured on the Showgirls soundtrack, got some airplay for their "Animal" video ... and disappeared. gODHEAD had potential and took all the wrong moves to become something of a Static-X Lite.

Deadsy. 'Nuff said.

Oh, and a band that should have been bigger? And I'm not talking about admiration in retrospect. Hanoi fuckin' Rocks.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Kings X and Perry/4 Non Blondes...great calls.  King's X was fantastic (didn't the singer do some cool song with Cornell and some other top musicians once? Seems like it was a tribute to a fallen friend who died from an OD?).

I know at one point he was going to do something with Either Jeff Ament or Mike McCready from Pearl Jam(I don't remember which).  If that ever actually came out I never heard it.

Yeah, I remember seeing the video now.  I'm not sure if Mike or Jeff was in this song but it was this reply that made me remember.  Seems like they may have been out around a campfire type of setting or something.  The song was awesome but I only saw part of it at two different times I believe.  I'll try and do some research on this and see if I can come up with it.  The name of the song is almost on my tongue but I can't place it.  Great tune I remember and I will do my best to remember and research this one.  I've been hella busy lately so if I forget pm me and remind me.  The video kind of had a Hunger Strike (Temple of the Dog) feel I think.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Haven't heard of half the bands in this thread so will have to check em out smile Ive thought both the below could have gone on to greater accomplishments had they not disbanded/died.

Whiskeytown
Elliott Smith

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Yeah, I remember seeing the video now.  I'm not sure if Mike or Jeff was in this song but it was this reply that made me remember.  Seems like they may have been out around a campfire type of setting or something.  The song was awesome but I only saw part of it at two different times I believe.  I'll try and do some research on this and see if I can come up with it.  The name of the song is almost on my tongue but I can't place it.  Great tune I remember and I will do my best to remember and research this one.  I've been hella busy lately so if I forget pm me and remind me.  The video kind of had a Hunger Strike (Temple of the Dog) feel I think.

I looked around and see Pinnick mentioning wanting to work with Cornell because they're friends, but saying it never happened.  Also, as best I can tell the thing with the guys from PJ (turns out it was Ament and McCready) never came out, the last mentions of it I can find are from about 2 or 3 years ago.

Just because you mentioned the campfire, are you sure you're not thinking of this.

And that reminds me, put Sevendust on this list too.

jorge76

jorge76 wrote:
downliner wrote:

Haven't heard of half the bands in this thread so will have to check em out smile Ive thought both the below could have gone on to greater accomplishments had they not disbanded/died.

Whiskeytown
Elliott Smith

I have a compilation with a Whiskeytown song on it that I really like, but I've never went out of my way to find more from them.  I probably should.

AtariLegend wrote:

"Sonic Youth"

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Shotgun Messiah is a definite addition.  Thanks to JVD for bringing that one up; they're usually overlooked as one of the greater bands to come out of the 80s.  As is Tesla.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I looked around and see Pinnick mentioning wanting to work with Cornell because they're friends, but saying it never happened.  Also, as best I can tell the thing with the guys from PJ (turns out it was Ament and McCready) never came out, the last mentions of it I can find are from about 2 or 3 years ago.

Just because you mentioned the campfire, are you sure you're not thinking of this.

And that reminds me, put Sevendust on this list too.

No this isn't it but good call, I can see why you would think that based on my description.  Damn, I wish I could remember.  Problem is I don't know if I saw it televised or something from some rare shit I had at one time.  Obviously I don't have a clear memory of it and who was actually in the song for sure.  I do know with fair certainty it was about someone who had died perhaps of an overdose.  The band was like a supergroup type but I can't remember much.  Thanks for throwing this out there, it definitely has the same sort of vibe in terms of surroundings.  Seems like this video I'm thinking of was mostly at night.  Sorry I can't recall more at the time.

Board footer