You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: DAVE MUSTAINE: 'It Would Be Terrific' If STEVEN ADLER And IZZY STRADLI

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

As a person who have never heard a Megadeth album, I will always remember Dave Mustaine as the guy who broke down in tears on a Metallica documentary, because he was kicked out of the band 25 years ago.

Can't blame him - they were all drunks - kicked him out with no warning or rehab - stole his riffs - and went on to become the biggest metal act of all time wink

This x $100,000,000 bucks

I knew Monkey would nail it. I don't blame Dave for crying. Even with Megadeth's success, they are a niche act compared to Metallica. Metallica was so big, they transcended being a metal act and became a legendary rock act. Metallica is easily the biggest metal act of all time, and that's if you count Sabbath & Priest. Still, Metallica on top.

Mustaine got fucking SCREWED by all of his buddies. Dave might be a dick, but that fucking awesome Kill 'Em All album (still my favorite to this day), has Dave all over it. No matter what Metallica says. That album is practically an early Megadeth record more than it is a Metallica record. Even by Lightning they had kind of changed their style, and by Puppets they were a totally different beast, while Mustaine was playing catch-up with Megadeth.

AtariLegend wrote:

RE: Dave Crying.

It was filmed September 13th 2001. I don't remember it being mentioned in the documentary tongue.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Although even elements of Ride the Lightening scream of mustaine....

Have a listen to the start of Call of Ktulu - first 3 riffs are very blatently mustaine riffs - clearly his style not james' - additionally he reused them again with some mods for Hangar 18.

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Although even elements of Ride the Lightening scream of mustaine....

Have a listen to the start of Call of Ktulu - first 3 riffs are very blatently mustaine riffs - clearly his style not james' - additionally he reused them again with some mods for Hangar 18.

He wrote it.

There's quite a few tracks here and there throughout the early Metallica discography that sound very similar to Megadeth riffs.

He's only credited for Ride, Metal Militia, Phantom, Jump, Khutulu, Four Horsemen... but theirs other bits/pieces (not whole songs) that are debatable that lead to angry Metallica fans tongue.

That said, not to take credit from the rest of the guys.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Still one of my favorite live vids. I've seen Megadeth 4 times. One of them was at the Big 4. It's a huge shame he couldn't get the RIP lineup back together, but at least he tried. I remember years ago him talking about how it would never happen.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

As a person who have never heard a Megadeth album, I will always remember Dave Mustaine as the guy who broke down in tears on a Metallica documentary, because he was kicked out of the band 25 years ago.

Can't blame him - they were all drunks - kicked him out with no warning or rehab - stole his riffs - and went on to become the biggest metal act of all time wink

This x $100,000,000 bucks

I knew Monkey would nail it. I don't blame Dave for crying. Even with Megadeth's success, they are a niche act compared to Metallica. Metallica was so big, they transcended being a metal act and became a legendary rock act. Metallica is easily the biggest metal act of all time, and that's if you count Sabbath & Priest. Still, Metallica on top.

Mustaine got fucking SCREWED by all of his buddies. Dave might be a dick, but that fucking awesome Kill 'Em All album (still my favorite to this day), has Dave all over it. No matter what Metallica says. That album is practically an early Megadeth record more than it is a Metallica record. Even by Lightning they had kind of changed their style, and by Puppets they were a totally different beast, while Mustaine was playing catch-up with Megadeth.

The story of him being kicked out was always glossed over as they traveled from San Fran to New York for the recording of Kill Em' All and when they got here they woke him up, told him he was out and gave him a bus ticket home. Apparently James and Lars listened to other bands demo tapes whilst dave was sleeping during the drive, trying to find a new guitarist.

Recently, in Mustaine's book this was fleshed out more. Kirk and Lars did listen to tapes on the drive... and once they'd arrived in New York. As Dave tells it (fucking huge caveat, he does talk a lot of BS), they got setup and were rehearsing in New York and getting ready to record and Lars & Kirk were secretly auditioning new guys whilst he was still in the band. Then one day he got kicked out and James drove him to the bus stop. Apparently as he was kicked out he asked them, to not use any of his stuff on the record.

Queue, Mustaine songs + riffs being used on Kill Em All  & Ride The Lightning, and allegedly some even appearing on Master of Puppets. Mustaine got screwed so hard. That said... not sure that band could have accommodated both Mustaine and Hetfields issues with addiction for long so probably for the best.

Fuck Ulrich though. Guy, is one of the worst drummers ever, and yet is one of the most successful. Was listening to this the other day. Dude can't keep time on a really simple beat.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Mustaine tracks on Puppets?  I call horse shit on that one.  That's just too much Mustaine nutswinging for my liking. Kill Em All? Sure.  Lightning? Ok. Puppets? Step away from the crack pipe.  Before its over he'll be credited with riffs on the Black album.

Watching that vid above, holy hell was Metallica ON in 91-92. If not for GNR's summer 91 tour, U2 in 91 with AB, I'd say Metallica was king of the mountain.

Loved it when they threw Newstead a bone with Whiplash. It suited him well. I need to get shit, binge, and purge. My Metallica fandom ended back in the 90s. Last time I bought a Metallica album at release time was Reload.

edit: also bought Garage Days Re-re-re-re visited. Their cover of Seger's Turn the Page is incredible. Lars was right when talking about picking it....said he heard it and realized Hetfield could've wrote it cuz it sounds like a Metallica song. When hearing them cover it, knew he was right.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Mustaine writing credits on metallica songs

4 horsemen (megadeth recorded as mechanix, his version is faster to prove a point)
Jump in the fire
Phantom lord
Metal militia

Ride the lightning
Call of the ktulu (I think the song burning bridges on the megadeth album the world needs a hero incorporates some ktulu riffs...I'd have to go back and listen again which song exactly it's bee ages)

Mustaine also claims he should have gotten a credit on leper messiah from puppets ... but hetfeild and Ulrich have never acknowledged it

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Mustaine tracks on Puppets?  I call horse shit on that one.  That's just too much Mustaine nutswinging for my liking. Kill Em All? Sure.  Lightning? Ok. Puppets? Step away from the crack pipe.  Before its over he'll be credited with riffs on the Black album.

Was referring to riffs on Puppets, which he has claimed in the past. Wouldn't surprise me if that's true. Neemo mentioned Leper Messiah and there is this little nugget from MoP wiki page:

Mustaine claimed he had co-written "Leper Messiah", based on an old song called "The Hills Ran Red". The band denied this, though admitting that a section incorporated ideas of Mustaine's

Considering James and Lars tendency to downplay Dave, and how they booted him, plus Dave's tendency to exaggerate I'd guess it's somewhere in the middle.

You are right on Shit, Binge and Purge. Great live album. The band do bring it, always liked Newsted's contributions. Dude got shafted in the studio but at least got some presence in the mix live and his backing vocals always were a great addition. And you're right to not care for them post Reload. Haven't done a thing worth a damn since Garage Days.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It will always be a crime that his bass is nonexistent on Justice. Unforgivable. Its actually my favorite Metallica album but could've been even better. I thought, "well maybe this guy just doesn't have what it takes". After hearing garage Days and especially My Friend of Misery on the Black album, it pissed me off even more that they fucked him over on Justice which makes no sense. yeah he's the new kid but so what. With Justice they were ready to go mainstream so I don't get the purpose of holding any member back.

Many disagree but I will say to my dying day that 'The Memory Remains' is about Axl. A Hetfield/Ulrich denial wouldn't change my stance either. Yeah its supposedly about a female has been from old Hollywood.....I still think its Axl or at least he influenced the lyrics to an extent.

Board footer