You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Big Surprise - We're almost all on the same side!

Intercourse wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am delighted that the forums in general are lit up over this reunion and all the haters from both sides have quietly stopped the civil war.

Surely we can all find something to bicker about...

Oh don't worry Cramer, once the band emerge there will be a honeymoon period among the diehards, probably lasting until the end of "Jungle" and then the bitching will start again..

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. There will be something.

I am thinking ALL EYES (I know mine will be) magnified on Axl & Slash's chemistry on stage, no different than VR fans in 2012 with that one-off with Scott.

If they go out there and phone it in, with all that money on the line... it might be the death of the band for good.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Given that all the indications are he was planning to release CD II in 2016, and was blindsided by DJ's departure,

This isn't directed at you personally Elevendayempire but i'd like to see some tangible evidence that was actually the plan. Like someone from a record label knowing anything about it or something other than the usual suspects in the band or team brazil hinting at hopes.

The narrative for pretty much the whole CD saga was always that this year was a quiet year, and NEXT YEAR all our dreams would come true. Then the following year they say exactly the same thing. Every 3 or 4 years someone quits - that person is then blamed for all previous delays - the band then needs a year or two to regroup - and then NEXT YEAR all our dreams will come true.

You're not going to get anything official, monkey. There are people who've known Axl and Slash buried the hatchet way before anyone in the media did, and that DJ was out, also that DJ had lined up Orianthi to replace Ron, and it almost happened, and all the other drama. People who are very close to the band and inner circle. From what I understand, 2016 was going to be a huge year.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Dear Jesus God...

DJ & Orianthi in Guns N' Roses?

And Dimebag was the one to get shot... there is no God.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

You're not going to get anything official, monkey. There are people who've known Axl and Slash buried the hatchet way before anyone in the media did, and that DJ was out, also that DJ had lined up Orianthi to replace Ron, and it almost happened, and all the other drama. People who are very close to the band and inner circle. From what I understand, 2016 was going to be a huge year.

Not trying to be argumentative. Like I said I just have trouble mentally blaming DJ as for the whole CD saga it's always "next year" until someone quits then it's labeled their fault.

So can I clarify the supposed sequence then?

It looked to me (as a massive outsider) that:

1. Post Vegas - Axl decides to take some time off then plans to "seriously look into" CD2

2. Bumble quits. Probably figured out CD2 would come before a Bumble/DJ album and it's too many more years to wait. Cancer scare wouldn't have helped - when he realised he basically ended his solo career to wait around for GNR. Bumble is asked not to say anything and does mostly but they kinda get it out of him.

3. Band looks into Bumble replacements. Your idea of Oriabthi makes sense. Nothing is signed. Meanwhile Tommy quits.

3. Slash and Axl had melted the freeze for business chat somewhere around the DVD releases. With Tommy and Bumble gone Slash/Duff starts to make sense.

4. DJ is given a respectful chance to quit so he doesn't loose face.

5. Band books these shows.

So are you saying DJ actually quit earlier - and at that point Axl moved on from prepping CD2 to reunion shows?

johndivney wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Agreed. There will be something.

I am thinking ALL EYES (I know mine will be) magnified on Axl & Slash's chemistry on stage, no different than VR fans in 2012 with that one-off with Scott.

If they go out there and phone it in, with all that money on the line... it might be the death of the band for good.

What you'll see is p much what you've always seen. It'll be the same routine/repertoire Axl's been delivering with diminishing returns since '87..
I think they're seasoned professionals by this stage & they'll prob deliver a fun, safe, slick arena show that you get from most bands (& what you got from the BBF-era GnR tours).

I hope to fuck I'm wrong tho & there is proper passion & temper & anger. The real thing. Not some U2/Stones like polished bullshit, but I think it prob will be. Too many canoli's at stake. & sure when it's cashed in they can go their separate ways again.

johndivney wrote:
Intercourse wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am delighted that the forums in general are lit up over this reunion and all the haters from both sides have quietly stopped the civil war.

Surely we can all find something to bicker about...

Oh don't worry Cramer, once the band emerge there will be a honeymoon period among the diehards, probably lasting until the end of "Jungle" and then the bitching will start again..

No. It'll last until the start of The Seeker then the bitching will start. & rightly so. I'm looking forward to it already.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Thinking about it, much of this is because of a consensus that Axl, Slash and Duff constitute as Guns N' Roses.
After that, it becomes a wish-list of the several people associated to the name. Name, validated. Moving on.

Intercourse wrote:

I just hope Axl can face the level of expectation and overcome any bullshit stage fright and just get out there and enjoy this..

He's got about three months to make sure his voice is in shape. That'd oughta do it.
He can get away with being more stationary (and hefty) if he can deliver on the vocals.

Still, Axl's a physical guy on stage. A long-term workout plan would serve him well.
He was an exercise nut early into the millennium, he knows the pros and cons there.

I hope.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

He's got about three months to make sure his voice is in shape. That'd oughta do it.
He can get away with being more stationary (and hefty) if he can deliver on the vocals.

Agreed. It really is all going to come down to the voice for fan acceptance I think.

We know that Slash/Duff are in very fine musical form, Richard is a pro....it's all going to sound instrumentally great. The question is can Axl deliver rasp - if he sounds great like in 2009 or dare I even say 2006 then I think the audience will forgive him being heavier and older. Maybe some people will make remarks but most of that shit would be silenced by a good performance.

Unfortunately it's been a while since he's sung like that...too much in his mickey-style voice would start people up I suspect....

He was an exercise nut early into the millennium, he knows the pros and cons there.
I hope.

Yeah, although we don't actually know his health scenario. I've wondered if some of his weight could be from medications he might be on. We don't actually know if his leg ever really healed from those falls. He's old enough that there could be knee damage or something - he used the cane for a long time after and I don't think I've seen him move like he did before in a long time.

Not to mention for many people the cons of exercise are that it fucks you up and you can no longer exercise. Trainers or not it can happen. Joints weren't really supposed to last to the ages we live and running and similar things are pretty stressful. It works for some...but some don't get bodies that can tolerate it.

Personally I don't care if he's a bit fatter...but I'd love for there to be some screams and some rasp like there used to be....that might be an unreasonable request though who knows.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
johndivney wrote:

No. It'll last until the start of The Seeker then the bitching will start. & rightly so. I'm looking forward to it already.

hahahaha...that's hysterical.....only a matter of time lol

Board footer