You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: Big Surprise - We're almost all on the same side!

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

I am delighted that the forums in general are lit up over this reunion and all the haters from both sides have quietly stopped the civil war.
I just hope Axl can face the level of expectation and overcome any bullshit stage fright and just get out there and enjoy this..

That may change if Kushner is in this reunion lol

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

How fair is it though for us hardcore fans to rip him apart if its not perfect? I understand there are examples(Cornell for one) of vocalists still kicking ass in their 50s and up(Jagger not too shabby either) and all points in between but the extreme on the other end is Roth. He has turned into a clown during the VH reunion.

Crowd going nuts even though Dave has jumped a school of sharks.

There are a few disasters(Rio, Bridge school,etc.) but the comeback cannot be worse than what Roth has turned into.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Unfortunately those "disasters" occurred during highly visible gigs. It's tough to convince people he sounded great at other shows when that evidence is out there. He closed out the last Vegas residency pretty strong, so I hope he can pick up where he left off.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Cornell isn't 25 anymore either. Mick Jagger doesn't have a very demanding style. Axl's problem is he made so many songs in his youth where he pushed his vocal powers to the limit. He could never do Coma today. Take that into consideration and he's not bad at all.

This guy however is impressive:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'm hopeful it will all seem more like GNR now that Slash and Duff are back (and I say that as a guy who even likes Bumble and co).

My comparison would be Motley Crue....basically Vince Neil sucks live but the Final Tour shows were great cos they made it feel like classic Motley - even if vince was sub par - Tommy was doing his stunts, Nikki setting off pyro. Still felt like the same band just compensating for a bit of age.

Some of the problem with GNR has been that it wasn't enough like GNR. Bucket and Bumble kick fucking ass on guitar but play in a very shred style compared to slash who is more of a feel-blues player. Robin did his own thing to the point of offensiveness, and then DJ made up for that by going too far in the "just act like slash" direction. Meanwhile in 20 years they got to play some of the songs on the 'new' album once or twice. Like how often was TWAT or Prostitute really played? So it always felt like you're a bit embarrassed for them in some way. Then add in the synth and other non-uyi stuff and it was confronting for fans. So then if Axl has a bad night it's like "wtf did I go see".

On the other hand with the AFD/UYI guys bleeding original GNR - If Axl is a bit average I'm hopeful it will still feel more like GNR overall.

Of course the dream is Axl pulls out a Steven tyler or similar and delivers an age-impressive performance. I wouldn't put it past him yet. He's been up and down over the years enough that while you can't trust him to be old school you also can't entire discount it yet.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Slash makes an appearance in that Aersomith show around the 1 hour mark, guesting on "Mama Kin".

Steven still does sound amazing. Don't know how he does it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A song many SG fans thought they might avoid during the reunion is Birth Ritual. They DID avoid it for awhile but busted it out for a few shows. Its definitely not like it was in their prime but Cornell can still pull it off.

Unreal screams in the studio version of Slaves & Bulldozers. They play it off and on during the reunion tour anyways. Again, he knows his limitations but makes it work for the song. The line "So bleed your heart out....there's no more rides for free!!" could blow out his voice so he just shows restraint and hardcore fans don't go ape shit over it. Better to hear it than not hear it at all. 9

I know why fans say Coma is off the table but IMO its possible they could bust it out once or twice......just don't expect it to sound like 1991.

Slaves & Bulldozers Live from the Artist's Den....I wish GNR would do a set here. This show is on DirecTV.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

How fair is it though for us hardcore fans to rip him apart if its not perfect? I understand there are examples(Cornell for one) of vocalists still kicking ass in their 50s and up(Jagger not too shabby either) and all points in between but the extreme on the other end is Roth. He has turned into a clown during the VH reunion.

Crowd going nuts even though Dave has jumped a school of sharks.

There are a few disasters(Rio, Bridge school,etc.) but the comeback cannot be worse than what Roth has turned into.

Axl deserves to be ripped apart if he does not practice and sounds out of shape or tune for not trying.  But if he got into shape (vocally) and was just so so that would be ok  But Axl can sound decent to good at times, so it does have it in him to be good but he chooses not to.

If he could sound like this in every song

then he would get shitted on but its when stuff like this happens

is when he gets slammed.

Im not sure what is worse though that RIR Axl or RIR Vince Neil

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:

Slash makes an appearance in that Aersomith show around the 1 hour mark, guesting on "Mama Kin".

Steven still does sound amazing. Don't know how he does it.

Tyler sounds Amazing!!! Mama Kin with Slash was a lot of fun!  Kick ass show!

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Axl was fucking boss in 2006.    I think that might have been his best year vocally post-2000

Board footer