You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: This New Paradigm - so many questions..

Intercourse wrote:

Hi all,
Like 99% of you I am very excited about all of this but there are so many questions around the people involved that I would give my left nut to see how things are going behind the scenes because frankly for us fans there are mind boggling conversations between these guys that must have been had and there are many more to go...

1. Will we ever hear about Axl & Slash's very first face to face?
Where did it happen? Who was there? Were grisly conflicts discussed and put to rest? Did they have a professional mediator?

2. Will both men ever explain publically how the axe was buried?
Will both men fess up for their now mythical bad deeds towards each other? Apologize publicly? Will they do a chat show/major interview together?

3. How have Duff & Slash managed dealing with Axl's team including Beta and others who have been less than honorable towards the old guys?
Will Beta have to address the fallout they created for Slash after he called to Ax's house? Do Jarmo and Del have to relearn their roles now that all is rosy in the garden? Are Duff and Slash even aware of the kind of vitriol that those guys publicly displayed towards them?

4. If the money is so good and the excitement levels so high, why wouldn't Izzy jump straight in for the start and then bail if its not to his liking - not the other way 'round?
Is he holding out for Steven? Has he already seen shit break out between both sides that spooked him? He is writing, which he loves most but his reluctance to play could indicate that he's at odds with things going on there - the nuGNR players maybe?

5. Why would Duff & Slash agree to play anything from CD? Does that mean Axl will sing Fall to Pieces and Slither in return?
Has Axl forced their hands on this? I am excited to hear Slash's take on the tunes but surely everybody in the room except Axl knows that almost nobody in the crowd is holding out for anything off CD. They'll be praying for "Breakdown" rather than "Prostitute".

I could add five more to this easily, its fucking fascinating stuff and someone better write a book about this or make a documentary. For me, this would be up there with my desire to get that UYI tour movie footage.

If any of you have info/thoughts/opinions/conspiracy theories or more unanswered questions, I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
Intercourse

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Probably, but it will be in a proper forum, and not on-stage. I think they might mutually do a show together to talk about it. Eddie Trunk would be the best option, but Jimmy Kimmel would be far more high profile.

Possibly, but in THEIR way, and it'll be buried inside of a book, whether released by Axl, Slash, Duff, or a mutual GN'R gimmick. It'll be saved for financial reasons, and put in a book or movie imo.

3. How have Duff & Slash managed dealing with Axl's team including Beta and others who have been less than honorable towards the old guys?

This will NEVER be discussed. I highly doubt Jarmofuhrer will ever have any direct-contact with these guys, other than bumping into them backstage. Maybe Duff & the rest. Axl & Slash are on another level, and have their own entourages & management. Even during the new GN'R days, me thinks Mein Fuhrer was only around them briefly during the shows themselves and that was it, and any other contact was done with Del & Fernando. I doubt it went much further than that, and even if he said it did -- I wouldn't believe him. The guy is a loyalist. He'll say anything that management tells him to.

Plus there's no real reason to do dirt on the little people. Beta was just being loyal to her boy Axl, and that's respectful. Good for her. Same with Fernando & Del. Good for them. They're loyal. I respect that. Perla on the other hand... Perla might get discussed one day, if she actually Yoko'ed them getting back together and fucked with them legally and that needs to be explained how Perla kept them apart. But I doubt Slash will want to publicly slag his ex-wife for a couple reasons. 1) She's the mother of his kids, and there's no need, and 2) it could open Slash & GN'R up to Libel and considering Perla is already getting fucked on this reunion, she might be looking for ANY reason to sue them and file injunctions.

So NO -- this will NEVER be discussed for a variety of GOOD reasons imo.

4. If the money is so good and the excitement levels so high, why wouldn't Izzy jump straight in for the start and then bail if its not to his liking - not the other way 'round?

Izzy is doing it. Izzy will NEVER be a full-timer again. Never. It's just not his thang. I'm sure they ALL have Izzy's blessing. Izzy will show up like the phantom he is, and he'll fade away again 'til next time. The dude is a walking myth and I think he (and they) are fine with that. Izzy is Izzy.

Izzy has no loyalty to Steven. Only Axl imo. That's it. Slash is the one who brought Steven in if Steven gets to be there. Mark my words.

5. Why would Duff & Slash agree to play anything from CD? Does that mean Axl will sing Fall to Pieces and Slither in return?

The ONLY reason to do any of this will be because CD II, and possibly a Slash & Duff remix of CD I, are around the corner for release. The only reason I could see Axl performing VR material, is as a tribute to Scott Weiland, if Slash & Duff request it and Axl's cool with it. Then again, Scott talked a LOAD of shit about Axl.

I just couldn't see Axl performing VR and Slash-solo material (would LOVE to hear Axl on "Ghost"), unless Axl/Slash/Duff are planning some sort of 'redux' gimmick where they re-release all their songs in a box set as "Guns N' Roses" songs to try to start over with this post-1993, and start fresh, re-recording each others best songs in a "Greatest Hits that never were" type of set.

I think this is a really cool idea actually.

Guns N' Roses: Greatest Hits... and some that never were (2016)

Disc 1:

ALL GN'R catalog songs from 87-91

Disc 2:

Shuffle It All 2016 (feat. Izzy & Steven)
Time Gone By 2016 (feat. Izzy & Steven)
Beggars & Hangers On 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Mean Bone 2016 (feat. Axl)
Ghost 2016 (feat. Axl)
Back From Cali 2016 (feat. Axl)
Watch This 2016 [w/ lyrics] (feat. Axl & Steven)
Sucker Train Blues 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Slither 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Fall To Pieces 2016 [new lyrics] (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Set Me Free 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Messages 2016 [new lyrics] (feat. Axl & Izzy)

All the Chinese stuff would get re-recorded and released as "Guns N' Roses"

I think it's a neat little idea.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Are we sure that they have? I mean, for all we know it could all have been made through lawyers and internet so far.

Intercourse wrote:

I don't think all the issues have been buried and I think both parties expect them to be buried over time.

Intercourse wrote:

Business as usual. They didn't like to deal with Axl's assistant(s) while on tour on UYI as well.

Intercourse wrote:

Why did he quit on the UYI tour when the money was so good and the excitement level was even higher? Because he didn't have to put up with the shit.

Intercourse wrote:

I don't think Slash or Duff would even consider suggesting ANY VR song for the reunion.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Good point Otto on the VR songs. I think people have to remember this is still AXL's band. NIN as James says. Nothing's changed.

The difference between VR & CD, is that CD was recorded as a Guns N' Roses album, not to mention Axl has future material to consider and more than likely Slash & Duff's signing had performing those songs as a contingency.

Performing VR songs solo is somewhat of Slash & Duff's bread & butter as solo acts if they leave Guns. They kind of devalue their solo shows if they perform them with Guns.

Eagles eventually incorporated everyone's solo hits down the line after their reunion. It's not out of the realm of possibilities for Axl to mine Slash & Duff's best material and take a stab at it, but it would have to be VERY good.

It's a bit different having a guitarist & a bassist perform someone else's song, and make it their own. A vocalist on the other hand would have to sing someone else's lyrics, which breaks the emotional bond that Axl has with his own lyrics. I would think if Axl was willing to cover VR songs, they would either have to be re-written or they'd have to be AMAZING Scott songs or songs wrote entirely by Slash & Duff. And if they have to be re-written, I think it would make more sense to focus on new songs, rather than old ones.

The only exceptions I could see with this is songs like Fall To Pieces, that were originally GN'R songs before they were VR ones.

But to the fanboys out there, yeah it'd be great to get REAL GN'R re-records of Chinese & Slash/Duff/Izzy-post GN'R.

AtariLegend wrote:

Duff's already played Chinese Democracy songs at gigs with Axl. Considering the point at which he left, he was probably around for the origin of some of those tracks as well. Which means it comes down to Slash, who I sincerely doubt is going to tell Axl that if they play "There Was A Time" he'll walk.

As for VR, I looked back at Slash setlists from his past tour. He only really plays Slither anyway and "Fall To Pieces"/"Sucker Train Blues" very rarely (in fact I can only see one show where he plays anything more than Slither from it). It might have been different on his earlier tours, but I don't get why people think Slash is going to insist that VR tracks that he never plays himself with own band get inserted into setlists.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And just to add to what Atari said, Slash & Duff for years have been VERY complimentary of Axl's Chinese Democracy, saying how much they liked certain stuff on it.

Unlike Axl who basically said everything Slash did post-Lies wasn't really all that special.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

Wow, quite possibly not only the worst song Slash has ever recorded, but also possibly the worst rock song I've ever heard.

Surely if you were picking the cream of the crop from Slash's solo work, this wouldn't seriously be considered.

Axl at his best couldn't save that turd of a song.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

1. W

The ONLY reason to do any of this will be because CD II, and possibly a Slash & Duff remix of CD I, are around the corner for release. The only reason I could see Axl performing VR material, is as a tribute to Scott Weiland, if Slash & Duff request it and Axl's cool with it. Then again, Scott talked a LOAD of shit about Axl.

I just couldn't see Axl performing VR and Slash-solo material (would LOVE to hear Axl on "Ghost"), unless Axl/Slash/Duff are planning some sort of 'redux' gimmick where they re-release all their songs in a box set as "Guns N' Roses" songs to try to start over with this post-1993, and start fresh, re-recording each others best songs in a "Greatest Hits that never were" type of set.

I think this is a really cool idea actually.

Guns N' Roses: Greatest Hits... and some that never were (2016)

Disc 1:

ALL GN'R catalog songs from 87-91

Disc 2:

Shuffle It All 2016 (feat. Izzy & Steven)
Time Gone By 2016 (feat. Izzy & Steven)
Beggars & Hangers On 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Ghost 2016 (feat. Axl)
Back From Cali 2016 (feat. Axl)
Watch This 2016 [w/ lyrics] (feat. Axl & Steven)
Sucker Train Blues 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Slither 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Fall To Pieces 2016 [new lyrics] (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Set Me Free 2016 (feat. Axl & Izzy)
Messages 2016 [new lyrics] (feat. Axl & Izzy)

All the Chinese stuff would get re-recorded and released as "Guns N' Roses"
I think it's a neat little idea.

That was a fucking GREAT post Axlin, thanks for taking the time!
You raised some great points but I'm really intrigued by your idea about a re-recorded CD I and II with Duff & Slash on it. That would be fucking amazing!

Also, will we get a re-mastered UYI box set also? More than likely...I'd love to hear what their 22 year musical journeys apart would do to the sound of those albums today...I bet Slash would strip the shit out of it...Axl may put some wacky atmospherics on some of it rather than the cowboy saloon keyboard..the entire thing could emerge as a whole new type of albums.
Finally on this subject, I just fucking love your idea of the "Album that Never Was" .
These guys could mine the shit out of their past. If they work it like Soundgarden did, it could be an orgy of material for us to revisit and consume for years to come.

I don't expect or really want VR in the set list as for me, this reunion needs to be as pure as possible i.e. with the retrospective clock stopping at 1993, at least for the early tour dates...maybe if they go on a second round of touring,  they could blow up their sets with a nod to each others better material...once people have stopped blowing their load about the old trinity just being there in front of them. I hold CD in that bracket also. There were no hits the size of Slither from it so while it is technically GNR, the buying public will never agree.
That said, I still dream of hearing Axl do "Sucker Train Blues" while screaming the verses like a banshee rather than singing them in low register like Scott did. Likewise, I still hope to hear what Slash would do to lift "If the World" and "This I Love" to a whole new level.

Back to the questions, they are huge and may never be answered...there is so much potential here but so much baggage at the same time...I will always feel that this thing will be a knife edge no matter how far along they go..its part of their fucking charm I suppose.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

I think Slash will do most of the press once the gag order is lifted.

He's skilled with it and has a positive relationship with various media outlets.

Axl may talk, maybe just once (on the forums?). He may wax cryptic on stage.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I think Slash will do most of the press once the gag order is lifted.

He's skilled with it and has a positive relationship with various media outlets.

Axl may talk, maybe just once (on the forums?). He may wax cryptic on stage.

If it is lifted. 16

I do expect more than we usually get though.

Board footer