You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Super Bowl predictions

PaSnow wrote:

I agree, it's terrible.  The irony is what the NFL has done to attempt to increase ratings, has only made it worse.  Having it the week before the Super Bowl, and not including some of the games best players of the year (Cam), is just silly.  And teams upset having just lost their biggest game of the year, are NOT in the mood to fly out to Hawaii on 1 or 2 days notice for it (New England, Arizona). That's 4 of the best teams pretty much not participating?! So it's just backups to the backups.

Then the whole Michael Irvins team versus Deions team or whatever is silly too. I agree with James, just pull the plug on it. That or just revert it back to the week after the SB, in Hawaii, and announce the teams ahead of time (end of regular season) so players can plan on going, regardless of how far they make it in the playoffs. And with it, give  up on any TV ratings. As you guys said, a few times we'd check in, watch a few plays, but this garbage I wouldn't have any interest in at all.

It's funny, I read where ESPN is now struggling after having overspent on so much sports garbage like this. They just threw millions at various things like this, MNF, SEC football, Winbleton etc and being a cable channel the ratings are always lower than CBS, NBC, Fox etc... but now with cord cutting & streaming they have lost out on alot of cable subscribers who had the $4 or $5 dollars in their cable bill going to ESPN and didn't even watch it (women, non sports fans), their revenue is dropping as each month goes on.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

One thing about Cam, I like when he's at the line of scrimmage and calls "Readddyyyyyyyyyyyy" before the hut hut hike. lol  Sorta like Manning & Brady with 'Omaha'

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The SEC Network was one of their best investments in many many years. They have been killing it with that channel.

johndivney wrote:

COLDPLAY?!

AtariLegend wrote:

Remember Gun's were rumored for years to play this?

Slash rejoins and Coldplay get announced tongue.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

That half time show was pandering, rushed garbage. Lip syncing everywhere too. Showing footage from other, better shows makes me want to go and watch those instead. The Marvel/Coke ad was pretty entertaining though.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Geez....I hate it when I'm right...lol

I should've bet on it

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

WORST halftime show in history. Not exaggerating either. If its this bad one more time I hope there's such a backlash that they just get rid of it and do something else during halftime. I know they'll never get rid of a halftime show as its now just as famous as the game itself(non football fans tune in) but this is ridiculous. It needs to evolve into a different format. It's just not working anymore. The next few years maybe roll out the great iconic acts like the Stones, U2, Springsteen, AC/DC,etc. one more time or a major female act like Shania or Faith Hill and then change it. Just absolutely ridiculous. I was shocked at how horrific it was.

The game itself.....boy was my prediction wrong. 14

Atari, I've said it every year it gets mentioned about GNR playing the SB...it will never happen under any circumstances. The NFL will not take such a risk. If they go in that direction again with a rock act doing it, it'll be AC/DC or Metallica. I realize Jungle begs to be performed on such a stage but they'll never gamble on GNR.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

WORST halftime show in history. Not exaggerating either. If its this bad one more time I hope there's such a backlash that they just get rid of it and do something else during halftime. I know they'll never get rid of a halftime show as its now just as famous as the game itself(non football fans tune in) but this is ridiculous. It needs to evolve into a different format. It's just not working anymore. The next few years maybe roll out the great iconic acts like the Stones, U2, Springsteen, AC/DC,etc. one more time or a major female act like Shania or Faith Hill and then change it. Just absolutely ridiculous. I was shocked at how horrific it was.

The game itself.....boy was my prediction wrong. 14

Atari, I've said it every year it gets mentioned about GNR playing the SB...it will never happen under any circumstances. The NFL will not take such a risk. If they go in that direction again with a rock act doing it, it'll be AC/DC or Metallica. I realize Jungle begs to be performed on such a stage but they'll never gamble on GNR.

I don't think Metallica would agree to pre-recorded backing tracks. I agree that this show was garbage.  I would like to see someone like Daft punk. There's a really cool video on YouTube of them at the Grammy with kanye. A superbowl production would be great.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I had pretty low expectations for Coldplay, but I gotta admit they were terrible. Worse than I imagined. I thought they probably have a decent enough cataloge for 3 or 4 abbreviated songs, then 1 song for Beyonce & 1 for Bruno (obviously Uptown Funk).  However Coldplay were just baaaaad, not even exciting or uplifting in the least.  Bruno Mars put on a decent enough stage show, Beyonce was mediocre imho but Coldplay were so bad it seemed like she stole the show!

GnR were never in the mix.  That 'rumor' must have been from GnR fans & boards because it was never legitimate.  As James said, Axls too much of a risk.  They only get 12 minutes, and theres no extras or time for lateness for primadonnas. Sure he did the MTV music awards but that was 15 years ago. He did numerous tours but wasn't he late coming out for alot of them still?  Plus, being in SF Metallica would be a better choice all around anyway, rather than GnR. Pharrell never did it did he, I suppose he's not big enough but him & Daft Punk would be interesting. Other newer heavyweights to consider are Kanye (although he's also a risk of doing something stupid. He's done SNL a few times well tho), Taylor Swift & Foo Fighters, & Green Day. I read that Journey is from SF, they should've tried hard to get them to reunite, Don't Stop Believin & Faithfully would've been great.

As for the game, it was good. I wasn't rooting for anyone, tho I thought Carolina would roll thru it. Denvers defense was much better than I thought, esp their pass rush.  Both  defenses were great, offense, not so much. That punt return was huge too.

Board footer