You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Re: Former GUNS N' ROSES Guitarist DJ ASHBA Says He Was 'Treated Like Gold

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist DJ Ashba says that he was "treated like gold" by the band's lead singer, Axl Rose, during his six-year stint with the group.

djashbagusnrosesguitarup_638.jpg

During an appearance on the SiriusXM show "Dirty Sexy Funny" with host Jenny McCarthy, Ashba was asked how difficult it was dealing with Axl on a scale of 1 to "Kanye West," with "Kanye" signifying the most difficult a person can be, Ashba said: "It got difficult here and there. I mean, he's definitely a unique character."

He added: "You know what? I had the best time of my life doing it. I'm grateful. But he's the kind of guy that he has a very tight-knit circle, and I was fortunate enough to be a part of that tight-knit circle. And he's always treated me like gold. So, as far as what I can say, I have not a bad word to say. Although I do know if you cross him, he can turn more into the Kanye side of things."

Ashba, who joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck, issued a statement in July 2015 saying that he was leaving the band. His statement read in part: "It is with a very heavy heart and yet great pride that I announce that I've decided to close this chapter of my life and encapsulate the wonderful times that I've shared with GUNS N' ROSES into fond memories. I have reached a point in my life where I feel its time to dedicate myself to my band SIXX: A.M., my adoring wife and family, and to the many new adventures that the future holds for me."

Ashba added: "I want to take a moment to thank Axl from the bottom of my heart for not only the most incredible experience of my life, but for truly believing in me. You are a true friend and a champion of mine and I am forever grateful. And even as I move on to pursue other endeavors, I will always remain one of your biggest fans. I also would like to thank each and every one of you fans for your love and support throughout the years."

Ashba said earlier in his statement that working with GUNS N' ROSES was "the most incredible journey I could have possibly imagined."

Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former … -axl-rose/

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Everything Ashba says comes off as phony pr talk. Like sure, treat your colleagues nice in the media, but the way it reads you'd think he was talking about the Pope or something.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Axl's been around heaps longer than Kanye ...
therefore ...
Kanye still has a lot to learn in regards with being difficult.
tongue

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Everything Ashba says comes off as phony pr talk. Like sure, treat your colleagues nice in the media, but the way it reads you'd think he was talking about the Pope or something.

Yeah I agree. He'd be laughed at & ignored if he griped or complained about it, so he's at least smart to take the high road. I like how he says all this stuff about Axl believed in me, it was a great journey, and Axl was easy to work with, yet in 6 years of being in the band they never put out an album, never played any new songs he had input on, and no material he wrote or contributed to will likely ever appear in the GnR catalogue.

Anyway, I do give him credit for taking the high road.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Ashba was asked how difficult it was dealing with Axl on a scale of 1 to "Kanye West," with "Kanye" signifying the most difficult a person can be.

"He's always treated me like gold. So, as far as what I can say, I have not a bad word to say. Although I do know if you cross him, he can turn more into the Kanye side of things."

"It got difficult here and there. I mean, he's definitely a unique character."

So, while DJ has "not a bad word to say", he goes on to say Axl can get difficult - and did, even with him, the golden boy.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I wouldn't say my boss treats me like gold, so does that mean Axl is a better boss than her?

johndivney wrote:
DCK wrote:

I wouldn't say my boss treats me like gold, so does that mean Axl is a better boss than her?

Are you kidding?! Axl's a fucking great boss! You get paid 10k a mouth to sit on your ass & do nothing! It's a dream gig.
Ok every so often you have to get up on stage & get abuse but like that's once in a blue moon. The rest of the time you're paid exorbitant sums for fuck all other than keeping your mouth shut. Dream job. Put me on retainer Axl! (Tho I probably wouldn't be able to keep my big mouth shut...)

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't read it that way at all. Alot of people in the last 20 years have been very complimentary of Axl. Maybe the guy changed and/or got closure on all the damage from when he was young?

If DJ came out and slammed Axl, people would take it as truth. It's hypocrisy.

DJ seems pretty honest in this interview. There were good times, there were bad times, but I was very lucky to be one of his inner circle guys, and because of that he was a great friend. Kinda sounds like me.

So good for DJ on taking the high road. Maybe he wants to leave that door cracked open in case he's needed again. No need to burn bridges that you enjoyed crossing.

Maybe this is a GN'R story with a happy ending. DJ gets to write and release, somewhat decent music, with Sixx:AM, and GN'R fans not only get a DJ replacement, but get fucking Slash back as a return?

Seems like all worked out for the best. Finally in GN'R world -- we can say that.

Board footer