You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Re: GILBY CLARKE 'It's Gonna Be Interesting To See SLASH And AXL Back Toge

During a brand new interview with "The Rock Show" on Star Radio with Neil Jones, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke was once again asked for his thoughts on a GN'R reunion, following the recent announcement that long-estranged singer Axl Rose and guitarist Slash had repaired their relationship and were staging a handful of comeback shows in April. Clarke, who was not an original member of the group, said: "You know, I'm probably just as curious as everybody else is. It's gonna be interesting to see Slash and Axl back together after all these years. I mean, I have certainly seen Slash many times; I've seen his solo band, I've seen VELVET REVOLVER. So it's gonna be interesting to see, after that big hiatus, what comes together from this. I'm just like a fan; I'm curious too."

Asked how the members of GUNS N' ROSES dealt with Axl's stage tardiness while Clarke was in the band, the guitarist said: "Well, you know, back then, we drank a lot, and we got drunk a lot. I mean, that's the thing — we didn't know whether it was gonna be five minutes late or three hours late. It's just one of those things that… it came with the territory. We've all got our pluses and minuses with our jobs. The waiting was a minus."

Clarke replaced founding guitarist Izzy Stradlin in the GUNS lineup in 1991, during the "Use Your Illusion" tour, and stayed with the band for three years.

He has continued as a producer and solo artist since then, while also playing in ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA, HEART and other acts.

Clarke reunited with GUNS members Slash, Steven Adler, Matt Sorum and Duff McKagan at the band's Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction in April 14, 2012, although he himself was not inducted as part of the band.

Gilby is currently recording a new solo album that will feature guest appearances by drummers Stephen Perkins (JANE'S ADDICTION) and Matt Starr (ACE FREHLEY) along with members of Clarke's solo band, EJ Curse (bass/vocals) and Troy Patrick Farrell (drums/vocals). Gilby told "The Rock Show" about the upcoming effort: "It's been a long time, and I've kind of been working on this record for, like, about four or five years, which would sound like, 'Oh my God! It's an epic.' It's not. I just… I can't put a record out unless I think it's good. And I've been writing tunes and I've been recording a lot, but I just honestly didn't think it was good. And up until this year, I've really got a good batch of songs. And after these next few weeks, the shows for us, we're taking a few months off because I wanna finish this record. I wanna get it out by the end of the year."

Regarding the musical direction of his upcoming CD, Gilby said: "I still like… I guess it's now called classic rock. I like rock and roll, man. I like THE BEATLES. I like THE [ROLLING] STONES. I like METALLICA. I like the RAMONES. To me, it's all just rock and roll. As long as it's an electric guitar and the Marshall's on 10, I'm a pretty happy guy."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby- … j9zJM0Y.99

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I always liked Gilby. He never got much love on the forums for some reason. Well, I actually know the reason and the reason's name is Izzy Stradlin. Casual fans certainly have no problem with him....its the hardcore base that doesn't seem to have much interest.

This article definitely proves he's not going to be involved on any level...at least not this year.  Its kinda sad that they all became major alcoholics/drug addicts while waiting for Axl to show up. That's not to blame Axl for their issues as they could've just as easily played checkers then drink and snort meth but we've heard from all of them how they used that time. They clearly weren't boy scouts before the UYI tour obviously so I can see why they'd use that dead time for what I used to call "Scooby snacks".

I've kind of been working on this record for, like, about four or five years, which would sound like, 'Oh my God! It's an epic.' It's not. I just… I can't put a record out unless I think it's good. And I've been writing tunes and I've been recording a lot, but I just honestly didn't think it was good.

16 Pawnshop Guitars is bad ass. Everything else isn't. I remember in 93-94 buying KIlls for Thrills because it was the band he was in before GNR. They had it at my record store and I was thrilled....until I got home and played it. Took it back and traded it for something else.

I should give it a second listen.

Cared nothing about that Rockstar Supernova thing but I remember on our old site ROV it was one of the most active threads at the time.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've never liked his guitar style, and it could have had something to do with Izzy, because the style and tone were so different.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I liked Gilby great during the illusion era - he and slash seemed to play every well together - like his wild horses solo spot on the 1993 tour.

I also liked some of his solo / Snakepit stuff - TJ Jail was awesome and my namesake monkeychow!

However since then he's moved strongly into lead guitar, and without wanting to sound disrespectful, his lead playing doesn't inspire me the way my favourite lead players do. For example he was the guitarist in Rock Star Supernova - and I always felt that Newstead and Tommy Lee together was a powerhouse rhythm section that demanded more of a shredder as lead guitarist. The concept for supernova was fun but the music came out pretty flat.

Basically i'd be fine with him involved as a rhythm player but he just isn't a lead guitar hero.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I went to Summerfest in Milwaukee some ungodly number of years ago to see Duff.  Duff canceled for some reason, and Gilby replaced him.  It was a good show, but he's not an elite lead player.  He's better than me, but that's not saying much.  As a rhythm player, I think he's above average...or at the very least he played Izzy's parts well (the few times you could hear him).

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I like Gilby. ..I enjoyed the rockstar supernova thing ... pawnshop guitars is amazing...as is 5 oclock sonewhere but I haven't heard anything else from him

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, I liked Pawnshop Guitars, there are some killer rockers there. and Swag is kinda cool, too. never got into the rest though. Gilby has always been a cool guy, replaced Izzy quite well. he just lacked his writing skills and he didn't fit into Axl's plans at all. to be fair, Gilby is no progressive or experimental guy, he just does his classic guitar thing.

James

James wrote:

I wish Axl would go into more detail on why he didn't want to work with Gilby. Hell...he appears on his solo album the same year he ditches him.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

in my opinion, he just didn't fit in the band from Axl's point of view. he had Slash and he wanted Paul Huge as rhytm guitarist. + he was looking for a bit more experimental guy.

James

James wrote:

I have nothing against Paul(I love that 01 lineup) but I don't see how he brings more to the table than Gilby. At least Gilby had a resume at that point. Bringing in Paul was more like a power play but in fairness to Axl, Slash's zero tolerance for him was as well.

Board footer