You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Your GN'R fillers

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I like some of those tracks, but still. OTGM is going to make heads explode, but is way overrated. Pure cornball. Izzy's Shotgun Blues.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I don't equate tracks I don't like as filler. I like Think About You, but the argument stands.

I admire polluxlm's optimism that this would be a balanced discussion to bring up on a Guns N' Roses forum tongue.

I have complete faith in the members of Evo. 3

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Think About You has really grown on me. The 02 line up played it well. It's still filler 16

AFD
Think About You
Anything Goes

LIES

UYI
Back Off Bitch

UYI II

Shotgun Blues
My World

I love all of TSI?

CD
Scraped.

Ones I agree with remain.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

Here's my list:

AFD:
Anything Goes
Think About You
Out Ta Get Me
You're Crazy

Lies:
Nice Boys

UYI 1:
Right Next Door To Hell
You Ain't The First
Don't Damn Me

UYI 2:

Shotgun Blues
Get In The Ring (I like the intro though)
My World

OK that's all

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Slash McKagan wrote:

Get In The Ring (I like the intro though)

You know what's funny? Even the songs I don't like there are pieces I really like. Don't Damn Me, I love the breakdown around 1:57, where they do the groovy chorus where Axl sings, "Your Illusions Are Yours And Not Mine" with the solo. Even Shotgun Blues where he sings, "You Want A Confrontation, I'll Give You Every Fuckin Chance." If you put those pieces in a song like Right Next Door To Hell... Incredible. I can see why Axl loves to take bits and pieces of different songs and form the best pieces into one song, like Robin described.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wouldn't list anything as"Filler" since I like EVERY gnr song to some extent....but I can list the ones I don't like as much as the others so I'll go with that:

AFD:

Think about you
Anything Goes
You're Crazy (Lies version is one of their best songs but AFD fast version feels like an attempt to be a speed band)

LIES:

Reckless Life
Nice Boys
Move to the City

UYI1:

You Aint the First

UYI2:

Pretty Tied Up
So Fine
Don't Cry Alternate Lyrics

TSI:

New Rose
Raw Power
You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory
I Don't Care About You

Chinese Democracy:

Sorry (although I love a good axl rant, bagging your fan base gets tired!)
Prostitute (lyrics are epic but the guitar parts feel unfinished to me)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

A some of you may know, I had went years without listening to ANY of the old guns albums. Massive burnout in the 90s and other than hearing some of it a few times throughout the 2000s, never touched it. Was only interested in CD....even when watching or listening to boots would skip the AFD rehash and just listen to CD songs.

When the Axl-Slash news hit months ago and we were discussing it, I decided to whip out the albums and give it an overdue fresh listen. I actualy started with TSI but that's because we were discussing it here one night. I might have a different take on what I'd consider filler on the albums than I used to.

Interesting that a song that could have easily been used as a single(Think About You) had they wanted to milk AFD of another single or two is being considered filler by some.

I don't equate tracks I don't like as filler.

This is why I have a difficult time just throwing around the term filler even though I do it. tongue Different definitions for filler...songs that truly suck....songs just added for shits and giggles to fill up space....a monster album with amazing tracks but includes songs not as mindblowing,etc.

Having said that, here's my list....

AFD

You're Crazy- leave this track off AFD, the album goes from perfect to beyond perfect

Lies

Nice Boys but since it was originally on LLAS which is a 4 track EP and they needed to include it on Lies because the demand to hear LLAS was off the charts, its not truly filler. Nothing on an 8 track EP can really be filler anyways...songs should have been added to Lies.

Now with UYI is where it gets confusing as one man's filler is another's gem.

UYI I

Right Next Door To Hell- Just listened to it right now. That intro not bad, song average, but I'd actually prefer Dust N Bones be the opener even if we leave this track on. DNB kicks ass and it would show the first time listener that UYI is definitely going to be a different beast than AFD and Lies with this great rocker having Izzy on vocals as the opener being a huge sign of that.

RNDTH had too much promo before its release to leave it off I suppose regardless of its quality. The story about his neighbor was all over MTV and the mags for a year before UYI release. Had they left it off...people would have questioned excluding it. Plus Baz had said it kicked ass when listening to it in his car. 14

LALD- This song kicked ass summer 91 in a live setting but the studio version falls flat on its face. It has no energy...its sterile...etc. I also don't like how it turned into a permanent staple in the set list even in the CD era. I'd prefer it NOT be on UYI but maybe bust it out sometimes live if they like it that much. Its a B side at best.

You Aint The First-  Its only two minutes but feels like a Lies reject to an extent and also just adding a song to make the UYI albums as massive as possible. Leave it off and use it as a B side for a single. If using such a track here, Cornshucker would have fit better with this album IMO and place it between Bad Obsession and Back Off Bitch. That would be a nice sequence.

I like Don't Damn Me but listening to it now....hmm...almost comes off like a rant of sorts. Not to the extent of GITR but still. I do like its lyrics though...fitting for the time and environment GNR were in...so leave it be.

UYI II

This album of the two IMO is what helped set off the almost instant debate among fans/media about how the UYI sessions probably have been condensed into one album. Had internet forums been around then, you would have seen thousand page threads discussing the "1 album instead of 2" argument.

Yeah I know some fans prefer II over I and they can make a case for more filler on I but IMO most of what I could categorize as filler resides on this album. Since listening to this album more last year, my opinions are even more harsh than they used to be.

Civil War- Clearly NOT genuine filler as its one of the best songs in their discography IMO. Having said that, I now question the need for including it. It had been played on top 40 and rock stations for a year prior to UYI release. If you wanted to listen to it in 1990 to early-mid 91 but hearing it once an hour on the radio didn't satisfy you, all you had to do was buy that compilation album it was included on. If that wasn't enough reason to leave it off UYI II, including it as the B side to the massive single YCBM that everyone and their grandma bought most certainly makes the case for excluding it. To add insult to injury, it actually opens the album.

so IMO...leave it off but quality has nothing to do with it.

KOHD- Ugh. Once the official UYI track list was unveiled, couldn't believe they were really including it. It says a lot about the project and trying to squeeze as much material on the albums as possible. In 88 and especially 89,  top 40 is playing the live Marquee version like its the hot single of the year, in 1990 this new version is on the Days of Thunder soundtrack and gets played everywhere, a love it or hate it version of the song for fans. Definitely should not have been on the album.

GITR- Do I really need to make a case for it? Horrid rant in the song and while I get his point(especially in hindsight) about how some of those mag interviews were fake, name dropping them and the things he says are too immature and either rework this song or leave it in the vault. I also preferred its original title(Why Do You Look At Me When You Hate Me)

Shotgun Blues- Sweet Baby Jesus....never should've been heard by anyone. Yeah the Axl-Izzy-Vince Neil story was pretty big news in fall 89 but it did not deserve a song saying this crap about Vince Neil. Neil instantly challenging Axl to a fight right after the album's release and Axl ignoring it made this song even more vomit inducing.

Breakdown- Yeah..I went there. One of the "big guns" or as they were called then..."massive epics". I do like this song and some of the lyrics are really great....but it needed to be reworked. Its 2-3 minutes too long.  Only reason I'm glad its there is the fact it was the last album from this lineup.

Don't Cry- When they first announced that 3 versions of Don't Cry would be on UYI, I was intrigued. 3 versions of one song? Gonna be amazing! When the official track list was announced, only two(demo had been left off but I was still excited. Once hearing the version on UYI II....excitement officially flushed. Identical song with different lyrics. Not needed. Its filler. Add it as a B side to Don't Cry.

My World- Like Atari said its not a real song but its pure garbage. A horrific ending to UYI. The UYI albums were the Thriller of the early 90s and its release a major event of 1991....ending it with this is bordering on disgraceful.
--

tl/dr

AFD- You're Crazy
Lies- Nice Boys but cant leave it off due to LLAS in demand.
UYI I- RNDTH, LALD, YATF
UYI II- CW, KOHD, GITR, SB, Breakdown, DC, My World

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

It's weird, nowadays I love Think About You and prefer it over "the hits."

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

It's weird, nowadays I love Think About You and prefer it over "the hits."

I wonder if this is less burn out?

I know I tend to listen to an album for years focusing on a few preferred songs. Then often years later I'll re-explore these albums and listen to the "lost tracks" and sometimes tracks then leap out at me that i'd initially overlooked.

Sometimes I think it's because another track was more immediately accessible, sometimes it's because when you're more used to a band you can appreciate the subtler stuff, or sometimes I think i've just played the other songs so much it's insane.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Absolutely. I'm burned out on the hits.

Board footer