You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Your GN'R fillers

James wrote:

Yeah pretty sure Bri and I were in the very small minority of GNR fans who went eons without listening to classic GNR.

I also prefer the deep cuts and last time I listened to AFD, instantly skipped JUngle and listened to It's So Easy, OTGM, and Brownstone.  When listening to TSI also skip SIDHY...its only legit single. Even though its good, not big on DOTF ATM...if I want to hear it I'll listen to the much superior version performed at Farm Aid.

In fact, my favorite songs on each album are either deep cuts or if released as a single, not the monster hits.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Don't Damn Me, filler!? GTFO

AFD - Anything Goes

UYI 1 - You Aint The First, DTJ

UYI 2 - Shotgun Blues, So Fine, GITR, My World

CD - Riad, Scraped

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Speaking of what james was saying about "Changing Tastes" - Riad has become one of my favourite CD songs. Doubt my early reviews would have listed it that way....but something about the vocal line grew on me....it's sort of a sing in the shower number now...lol....but I think it's vocal line are impressive.

Another thing I find interesting is that many seem to find Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues problematic but arn't bothered by Sorry - which to me is just as petulant.

Sky Dog wrote:

afd-think about you and anything goes
lies-nothing
uyi 1-nothing
uyi 2-my world, shotgun blues, get in the ring
cd-shackler's revenge

Sky Dog wrote:

funny thing is UYI II is my fave!

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

which to me is just as petulant.

Because you're assuming Sorry is about Slash and the fans.

The problem in relation to it being about the fans is that the track was probably recorded in the early 2000's before there was a real backlash online. MYGNR archives in the early days look very different and if you look at the 99 forum people were definitely more pro Axl. People online care more about Matt and Gilby now than they did in the 90's.

I know people who were actually around might have a different view, but from just reading archives ect. things are very, very different pre 2002.

Really doesn't make much sense for Axl to be pissed off with fans before that tour starts.

fyi. UYI 2 is my favorite too despite the filler.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Speaking of what james was saying about "Changing Tastes" - Riad has become one of my favourite CD songs. Doubt my early reviews would have listed it that way....but something about the vocal line grew on me....it's sort of a sing in the shower number now...lol....but I think it's vocal line are impressive.

Another thing I find interesting is that many seem to find Get in the Ring and Shotgun Blues problematic but arn't bothered by Sorry - which to me is just as petulant.

As you get tired of the hits new favorites definitely arise. Nowadays I play Perfect Crime a lot, The Garden I think is a classic. Totally burnt out on November Rain though. Used to listen to that song on repeat while I slept.

Others I would have considered filler in the past but which have later grown:

You Ain't The First - a nice breather on a long album. Really captures the southern, classic rock feel of UYI I.

Back Off Bitch - has a really kickass Slash solo

Bad Apples - one of the true band efforts on UYI. simple fun.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I LOVE the Garden.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

which to me is just as petulant.

Because you're assuming Sorry is about Slash and the fans.

The problem in relation to it being about the fans is that the track was probably recorded in the early 2000's before there was a real backlash online. MYGNR archives in the early days look very different and if you look at the 99 forum people were definitely more pro Axl. People online care more about Matt and Gilby than they did in those 90's.

I know people who were actually around might have a different view, but from just reading archives ect. things are very, very different pre 2002.

Really doesn't make much sense for Axl to be pissed off with fans before that tour starts.

fyi. UYI 2 is my favourite too despite the filler.

I thought it was about Niven and Stephanie. He says he rarely has a singular inspiration for a song but multiple.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

It is easy to suggest slash however.

Board footer