You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Your GN'R fillers

misterID wrote:

Unless he's lying he said it wasn't about the fans or any former members.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

He will also die before he gets back with Slash. Just messing. I don't care anymore about who the song is about. It is an ok tune released 8 years ago.

johndivney wrote:

Love Sorry. Oh man when CD first dropped it was like the one new one that really hit, & it's lasted the test of time.

I've asked this before I'm sure, but was not Sorum reportedly who told him to just shut up & sing? Maybe not.. Whoever it was, it was actually good advice.
So many years wasted when Axl could've been singing any number of great songs from other writers. Such a great voice gone to waste, weighed down by his own issues of course, but still.. If he could find it in himself to relinquish some control or say "ok that's good enough let's just put it out", even if it wasn't GnR.. he could've done what the likes of rod Stewart or Johnny cash or hundreds of other people have done & delivered amazing vocals of covers. He was such a great singer first & foremost that it is kinda a shame to have not produced the volume of material the voice deserves. Oh well.. So it goes.. Maybe there's a load of that stuff in the vault..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

The 'shut up and sing' line alone pretty much confirms who its really about.

Atari- While the vocals are from those Beavan sessions, he did go into a studio years later to polish up some songs. Maybe this is one of them. The lyrics are lame and immature no matter who its about. Its got a few good lines but other than that, change it completely or just let Bucket include its instrumental on one of his solo albums.

The Garden was incredible from day one. I wish it had been released as a video/single much earlier in the UYI run. By the time it was, nobody cared about it.

DTJ filler? From a live perspective I can see how some fans would dislike it due to some of those rants that preceded it. On the album its a highlight for me. 3 Izzy songs weren't enough for me. Pretty Tied Up was initially described as having Izzy on vocals but that wound up not being the case. Maybe he had already stopped going to the studio at that point so they nixed the idea.

I forgot to list CD fillers. I'll do that later. I'll give the album a full listen when I get back home. That'll be fun. 16

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

^ Just never really got into DTJ. Ironically I think it was better live, sounded meaner somehow. It's barely a song though really imo, might have been better left as an instrumental.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

^ Just never really got into DTJ. Ironically I think it was better live, sounded meaner somehow. It's barely a song though really imo, might have been better left as an instrumental.

Oh I understand that point to a degree. Izzy's vocals on DTJ are too 'slick' or whatever you want to call it. Dust N Bones(as bad ass as it is) needed a slightly different vocal take. He does it so much better live. More energy. Out of the Izzy songs, even though my fave is DNB, 14 Years has his best vocals.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

Now i'm going to play semantics, but I think he actually disputed the concept that there's any such entity as "the fans" didn't he? I'm not entirely sure that's the same thing.

I never felt the song was directed at Slash.

But I would say it's very much directed at the Record Labels / Producers / Media and possibly the mygnr types that Axl takes offence to.

But anyway my point is, when he has a rant at the media in Get in the Ring, or a similar go in Shotgun Blues everyone seems to feel it's childish whereas to me the "sorry not sorry" thing of Sorry is a very similar rant just with less swearing. That said I enjoy all 3 songs really. Just sorry to me is the real weak link on CD not scrapped or riad.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The only part I really don't like about the song is the "I'll kick your ass" line. Childish, unnecessary and brings down an otherwise great track.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Just sorry to me is the real weak link on CD

What in holy good fuck. What happened to you man? Have you stopped the medication?!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

The guitar solo is the best part of the song for me

Board footer