You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

monkeychow wrote:

I respect Frank for the time he injured his foot in Melbourne but finished the gig anyway.

That said he does not have anywhere near the chemistry with Slash and Duff that Matt has.I'm not saying he's a bad drummer, he's surely not, and he does a reasonable compromise job of mixing the style of Adler/Sorum/Brain and a little bit of his own.

But that's also the problem, he's the DJ ashba of drummers: He's there to place hold for the guys who really made the GNR drum sound.

That's why it no longer suits - we're back to the authors of the sound not those who mimicked.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Ridiculous. We're basing chemistry on 5 second clips?

DJ Ashba of drummers might be the silliest thing in this thread. He's not a place holder for anyone.

He's the drummer. GNRs drummer, and a damn good one.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Ridiculous. We're basing chemistry on 5 second clips?

DJ Ashba of drummers might be the silliest thing in this thread. He's not a place holder for anyone.

He's the drummer. GNRs drummer, and a damn good one.

Please list 3-5 of his signature licks from Frank... I don't know what is actually Frank and what is a cover of a previous drummer.

Adler: Brownstone, PC, RQ, Jungle, ISE intro, symbals building tensions in My Michelle then explosion, Cow Bell on Nightrain

Sorum: YCBM intro, Fills in the Trilogy, kick ass drumming on DTJ and Locomotive, drummer boy on outro of NR, huge drums on RNDTH intro

ALL THIS BEING SAID I AM FINE WITH HIM AS LONG AS I GET TO SEE SLASH AND AXL THAT IS WHAT I AM MOST GRATEFUL FOR.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Cowbell!! 16

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Cowbell!! 16

Haha. Well, it is his signature. What is Frank's?? It's all good. I cant wait for this weekend!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Nightrain cowbell kicks ass.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Damn right!  It is signature!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I stand by it.

It's not as bad because He doesn't have the image issues of DJ.

But musically DJ was adequate for the roll rather than inspirational. He did a nice solid job of mimicking what the people before him did - the people who were the authors and innovators of that sound.Aside from his dress sense - there was no reason to hate him either though - he was was just there - holding the spot - making it so you could see the band.

That's exactly what Frank is too. He does a pretty good job of getting some Adler swing in the AFD songs, and he hits hard enough like Matt that the UYI tracks don't sound neutered, and sure enough, turns out he can play all Brain's drums too. There's kinda nothing wrong with his drumming, no reason to hate him....he's just there...enabling you to see GNR. However he doesn't have that magic that the others had.

The AFD drums are magic cos of Adler's style, UYI drums were magic cos of Matt's chemistry with Slash and Duff.

Frank is simply adequate, but he's not unique. You could replace him with Slash's drummer or most other competent drummers and the show could roll on the same. He's a place holder.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Damn right!  It is signature!

Steven loves him some cowbell. I haven't heard any of his newer stuff, but someone said he's still rocking it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

In ID's defense on that subject it's definitely unfair to write off Frank's potential chemistry with Duff and Slash after some rehearsals and one show which we haven't even heard in full. Those who were there give it stellar reviews.

Screws have to be tightened...kinks ironed out...

Board footer