You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Secret show: April 1, L.A.?

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

But notice... the positions opened got filled. The positions that were NOT open, kept their people. Richard has been at rhythm guitar since 2001 (15 years) with occasional guest appearence by Izzy Stradlin. That will not change imo. Frank has been there since 2006 (10 years), and was not leaving.

I see what you are saying but don't forget GNR does sweet fuck-all between tours. It's not like a regular band where the band with a partnership where everyone would meet up and plan and discuss strategy. It's like how we know Ac/Dc's brian didn't hear from Angus for 4 years until he got a call going "hey, wanna sing again?" He replied "What? With you guys? Ok".

When we talk about positions being open it makes it sound like GNR is active most of the time and these people are going into work. However we know full well that many of the members have no or very limited communication with Axl other than when it's about time to go on tour again. They generally only know of vague plans until the very last minute. This means they have to pursue side projects and other work to make a living.

Which means basically - any time there's a 2-3 year gap you get the chance of someone "leaving" in the sense they might not come back. I assume playing with the real band will motivate Frank to stay for some more years. But at the same time...like Brain, Robin etc...I wouldn't be surprised if he one day bailed for other musical work if the band takes another long break after this tour.

Axlin16 wrote:

Remember something, Tommy "The General" Stinson is the man who re-introduced Duff McKagan to the GN'R material, as well as taught him the Chinese licks. Not the other way around.

Umm.......Are you implying Tommy taught Duff the AFD/UYI songs?

Axlin16 wrote:

Not to be all PC, but I also really like the idea of GN'R have two black guys, and an Asian (i'm assuming) female in the band.

But it makes Guns more diverse

I'm not against it, but for discussion, in this situation what's the benefit of diversity? To help moderate Axl's lyrics?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Bro, Slash doesn't consider himself Black or White, he is Slash. When I see Slash I don't thing, wow, look at that African American shred. Slash doesn't fit into some race card BS. Slash has been Slash all his life. I love that about him. But I get what you are saying and it is cool. I like it. But listening to Slash's parents talk and how they raised him it doesn't seem like race was ever an issue.

Slash himself said how uncomfortable he was with Axl using the word "Nigger" in One In A Million, because of his being black during the VH1 Behind The Music 12 years ago. He also addressed it in his autobiography. He also has talked about his race & ancestry in his autobiography.

So you're wrong.

Or Slash changed his perspective on it recently, and he's allowed to do that. But i'm also allowed to call him out on it.

Yes he is half black. Yes he can relate to things blacks do and same goes for being half white. Most people think he is white! I can see that line bothering him, and his mother was black so he knows her struggles.  But if you notice he is often a political. You won't see Slash marching at a black lives matters rally or something.

I never said he would.

Even back in the day GN'R got thrown into the political conversation. They will never EVER be again, mainly because Axl won't allow it. He got caught by that back in the day, and I doubt he'll get fooled again. They burned him once.

I never made the comment to be politically-motivated, I made the comment to be a comment on some JAG-OFF the other day talking about GNR's "White Priviledge" and I laughed hysterically. White Priviledge (which is the most stupid George Soros-created thing ever)... how? Half of their fucking members are minorities. How racist is that? How clueless is that?

I just wish they'd back off. It bugged me and it was a fucking clueless statement. GN'R won't be dragged into that argument, and I don't want the media pulling a Trump gimmick on them, and basically talking so much fucking shit about them, that they finger-poke them into some sort of PC debate.

GNR's silence in the past has been its biggest weakness. In 2016... in this world.... GNR's silence will become it's biggest weapon.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

I don't think all this really matters. if they do some damn stellar performances, who cares about who's in the band? remember Buckethead. at first he looked like a fucking weirdo, but when he started playing, people went nuts.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:

But notice... the positions opened got filled. The positions that were NOT open, kept their people. Richard has been at rhythm guitar since 2001 (15 years) with occasional guest appearence by Izzy Stradlin. That will not change imo. Frank has been there since 2006 (10 years), and was not leaving.

I see what you are saying but don't forget GNR does sweet fuck-all between tours. It's not like a regular band where the band with a partnership where everyone would meet up and plan and discuss strategy. It's like how we know Ac/Dc's brian didn't hear from Angus for 4 years until he got a call going "hey, wanna sing again?" He replied "What? With you guys? Ok".

When we talk about positions being open it makes it sound like GNR is active most of the time and these people are going into work. However we know full well that many of the members have no or very limited communication with Axl other than when it's about time to go on tour again. They generally only know of vague plans until the very last minute. This means they have to pursue side projects and other work to make a living.

Which means basically - any time there's a 2-3 year gap you get the chance of someone "leaving" in the sense they might not come back. I assume playing with the real band will motivate Frank to stay for some more years. But at the same time...like Brain, Robin etc...I wouldn't be surprised if he one day bailed for other musical work if the band takes another long break after this tour.

Axlin16 wrote:

Remember something, Tommy "The General" Stinson is the man who re-introduced Duff McKagan to the GN'R material, as well as taught him the Chinese licks. Not the other way around.

Axlin16 wrote:

Not to be all PC, but I also really like the idea of GN'R have two black guys, and an Asian (i'm assuming) female in the band.

But it makes Guns more diverse

I'm not against it, but for discussion, in this situation what's the benefit of diversity? To help moderate Axl's lyrics?

Again... this is kind of where ignorance goes. GN'R being more diverse brings in more MUSICAL diversity. Like Lofton was referring to the other day. Axl has his musical tastes which tend to be more American rock based, with the exception of bands like Thin Lizzy, Nazareth Queen & Elton John. Slash tends to be more British-based, Zeppelin, Bowie, Sabbath. Duff tends to be very Seattle, alot of punk, little bit of noise rock, alternative rock, and alot of love for the grunge scene of the early 90's. Richard & Frank tend to be in this bracket as well. Dizzy brings in an old school keyboardist mindset, Stones, Doors, Deep Purple. Melissa Reese MIGHT bring in something a little different. A little more Bucket & Brain. Techno, Funk, EDM possibly... who knows.

The more diverse your musical base is, as long as the band is on the same page, the more options and resources you have to pull from for making good music. It's what made Guns N' Roses... GN'R to begin with. Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff & Steven all had unique musical personalities which is what made the band so powerful.

Ethnically, yes we all can be generic rock fans. But that's not what usually happens. The more of that ethnic base is there, the more musically diverse groups usually become... like I said, as long as they can stay on the same page.

For example, what if Axl wanted to record a rock ballad that sounded like a death metal of version of Queen's "Mustapha" ? Might not have attempted it before, but if there's a lead female vocalist in the band... suddenly there's a new opportunity. That kind of stuff. That said person might know what to add, that the others didn't, because of their musical background.

For example, when I go to a local bar in the Southern U.S., I can hear some good bands sometimes. But all of them are honky tonks, mainly all white bands, with redneck backgrounds. They have great vocals, great chops, good at blues, and sing great country music, great southern rock. They are good at what they do.

But if I asked all them boys to perform Bohemian Rhapsody in full... they'd probably be totally lost. Why? Because their musical background just isn't diverse enough.

That's why diversity helps in a band. The more, the better. As long as everyone stays on the same page, and the same goal of "hey, we're a fucking rock band, first and foremost".

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
zombux wrote:

I don't think all this really matters. if they do some damn stellar performances, who cares about who's in the band? remember Buckethead. at first he looked like a fucking weirdo, but when he started playing, people went nuts.

Bull fucking shit

In 2016

Bull fucking shit

Listen, I am the BIGGEST BUCKET MARK. Love Bucket. Best guitarist EVER in Guns (yes -- THE BEST).

I always liked Bucket. His look was cool to me, because he was a big Halloween & Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and me too, so I got it immediately. I thought Bucket came from the world of White Zombie with alot of funk thrown in.

BUT

Bucket to this day, sadly... tragically... is still THE BIGGEST PUNCHLINE in the history of the band. Even when this reunion/regrouping was announced, every -- single -- website, had at least ONE article with HUNDREDS of posts of people saying "thank God Buckethead... that FREAK won't be apart of it!!!"

None of these people EVER gave him a chance, because of how he looked. And to this day, I would say Bucket's look is the biggest thing that ever held him back from superstardom. Then again... Bucket's look is the most unique thing about him.

There are still MANY in the GN'R fanbase that use Bucket as a punchline, because of how he looked. I remember 2002, and when people first saw Bucket at the 2002 VMA's, it might as well of been the "Shot heard 'round the world", with how many people were INFURIATED that someone like that was in the band, and Bucket, alot with Robin's shaved head and Axl looking hip hop is why they were seen as a clown show in 2002.

Completely unwarranted... but looks matter VERY MUCH. More so in 2016 than in 2002.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Duff himself said Tommy brushed him up on the songs in 2014 in order to catch up to be ready for touring w/ Guns. It was a laughable moment to him that Tommy had to re-teach him stuff he wrote.

The General saves the band again

tommy

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Bucket gained a cult following within the GNR community, like a die hard fan base, and the press gravitated to him. DJ was the joke. Finck had a fanbase. I don't ever remember people jumping on the DJ train.

Compare the reactions when the two left the band.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Bucket is still considered a joke to 99% of the press and casual people. I can't tell you hoe many people I ran into from 2005-2015 that always asked me if that freak Bucket was still in the band. When I explained to them that he had been gone since 2004, they would come back with "Well GnR has been a joke since he was there", obviously showing that they knew nothing of the band's history post-2002.

I can't tell you how many jokes in the press i've seen since last fall... all directed at Bucket in reference to the reunion, and that "GN'R lost all credibility when Slash left and Bucket came in"

I truly believe this is 99% of the global GN'R fanbase. Thus the reason on YouTube, that nuGNR videos only might get 200k at best after years of being posted, whereas a collage of 2 minutes worth of cell phone clips, within 72 hours of the Friday April Fools Troub show, has already hit in the MILLIONS.

The GN'R fanbase see Bucket as sacred ground. Bucket fans see his time in GN'R as primarily a big joke. Outside of those two forum geek fanbases, the rest see all of that period as a fucking laughing stock.

Look how utterly "Shocked" people have been at the inclusion of Chinese & Better in the setlist on Friday. Hell, because of Slash & Duff's retouches, most people thought they were playing NEW SONGS.

I'm telling you guys, outside of forum nerds, that entire period was seen as a "Montezuma's Revenge" shitstain on the legacy of GN'R.

I don't agree with them, but I can't deny what they feel is the collective truth either. And that's how they see it.

People didn't see DJ as a joke... EVERYBODY WAS FUCKING GONE by the time DJ joined. Axl had his moment in 2001-02, and when he dropped Bucket on the world, 95% of people threw their water bottles and left before Bucket played one fucking note. Had NOTHING to do with his playing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin16 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Again... this is kind of where ignorance goes. GN'R being more diverse brings in more MUSICAL diversity.

That sounded awfully like you called me ignorant but I'm going to roll with the Aussie way of insulting people lovingly like "Monkey you cunt let me buy you a beer" wink

Back to the discussion though, It sounds to me like you are automatically assuming racial diversity means musical diversity. But that's not the case just because the next person they bring in is Asian doesn't mean they automatically like 'asian music' or anything else, Frank doesn't have to like R+B just cos he's black - in theory you could have just as much musical diversity even if they stuck with straight-white-males over 45. Not that i'm saying they should - I was just curious why people are excited about racial diversity in the band.

But i agree with the rest of what you said generally that musical diversity is a good thing for the band - I'm just unsure you automatically get it with race.

Of course the other issue is that diversity is somewhat irrelevant in the situation where Axl is head producer and oversees every instrument. Someone might bring the indian scale into a synth but it's only going to stay on the record if Axl likes it. Additionally the label made it pretty clear they have a narrow field of what can be GNR music as well. So there's that as a problem also.

Still I should state I have no problem with Melissa any more than I had with Pitman. I don't really feel either of them are needed while the band primarily busts out AFD/UYI hits live - but they might come in useful if that blessed day ever comes where it's time to record more.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bucket is back where he belongs. Relative obscurity. His image is for him, but it's also a test of fandom. If you can't get past the bucket and mask, fuck off and go listen to Vai or something. If you can handle it, you'll be rewarded.

Board footer