You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNR - VEGAS, T-Mobile Arena Show, 4/8

James wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Who wants to go with me tonight?? I have an extra ticket.

Damn. That isn't fair. If you had said this last night I would already be there. If I had come home earlier today I could have made it. Never been to Vegas but its probably a 10 hour drive from here.

Will was gonna hook me up with a hotel and now a golden ticket drops in my lap too late. Talk about the planets not aligning properly.

With that kind of luck, watch Justine cancel her exhibit in Frisco in a few days which was the reason I didn't buy Vegas tickets in the first place.

$25 bet on a new song? I'll take that. No chance in hell they play a new song. Rotating deep cuts? Sure. New song? No.

There's no reason for a new song yet.

Great post Furbush.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Gimme some odds for madagascar james lol

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I am utterly stunned to walk into this thread today and see the negativity towards Slash's TIL solo.

I think you GN'R nuts have heard shitty ass guitarists for the last 20 years so much, you forgot what a real one sounds like.

Oh yeah, and btw that setlist posted IS NOT a guideline. There are songs they've already performed that aren't even listed on it like Raw Power & Seeker. Now we've got new ones, plus they supposedly rehearsed Maddy.

James said it last night... after Coma... literally anything is on the table for performance.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

People are just used to hearing that TIL solo for 8 years. I always avoided the track like the plague so I definitely hear the improvement. Having said that, I'd like them to ditch it but on the other hand I can see why its being performed....its the only CD track that dates back to UYI. It has a bizarre history. Not in this lifetime material right there.

Yep...anything can be performed with the only exceptions being the Izzy songs. I can even imagine a few lines of My World popping up as they go into another song....like when Thayil/Shepherd teased Overfloater for a few seconds as the show was coming to an end because the nerds wanted to hear it.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

It's not just that TIL dates back to the UYI-era.

It sounds like a UYI III song. It perfectly fits the band with Slash & Duff. Even Dizzy sounds better having Slash & Duff's guitars there to meld that old school UYI live-era sound.

This I Love & TWAT, and possibly Street of Dreams are the only songs that should be there in a 2016 setlist.

I'd argue Chinese & Better are the ones out of place. Even with Slash & Duff's 'Velvet Revolving' of the music... still sounds like Axl trying to be industrial rock, and out of place for the band.

This I Love to me always sounded like a Freddie Mercury piano-ballad, had Joe Perry been there on guitar instead of Brian May.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think the time in the saddle with this songs is the issue.

I mean Ok i'm  a slash fan so it's not surprising I think Slash is better.

But for example I've heard the intro to better hundreds of times over 10 years, Slash's version is way better but I do think it takes an adaaptation. In my mind i'm singing what I used to listen to at first.

As far as TIL - to me it sounds like the slash solo should always have been there.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Precisely Monkey.

See that's the thing, me and you, as well as others here and elsewhere felt that This I Love was ALWAYS INCOMPLETE as a song, because it ached for Slash.

Now we finally got it, so we're like "there it is, NOW it sounds complete"

And I agree...

NOW This I Love is a finished song. Hopefully Slash's version will be released on a 2-disc Best Of set this year.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I mean Ok i'm  a slash fan so it's not surprising I think Slash is better.

But for example I've heard the intro to better hundreds of times over 10 years, Slash's version is way better but I do think it takes an adaaptation. In my mind i'm singing what I used to listen to at first.

I actually like the Slash contributions to Better far more than the original.  I never felt that song has never had great solos.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

And again... the legacy of Chinese

Such a mix bag.

2001 to 2016

And none of us can still agree on the best solos. The best songs. What the legacy is. How and what players, etc.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

To me the new versions of the CD songs reveal the truth I have always known - that they made great basis for classic GNR songs. It's a shame they couldn't just sort out their shit back in 2000 but better late than never!

Damn I want a studio cut of the new TIL (with the leak vox please!) and Better!

Yeah, I thought that too. What could have been. Dah well! Stop and enjoy enjoy this moment, as some current pop star says (Pitbull maybe?)

Board footer