You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: This I Love (guitar solo debate)

AtariLegend wrote:

Well there's only one way to settle this.

The solo only, original vs. redone. This isn't a discussion on who you think is a better guitarist or who's your favorite guitarist.

Which solo do you prefer?

Original 47%
Re-done 53%
Total votes: 32
elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Original. It's carefully structured around the orchestral elements and is all about feel rather than technical wibbling. Slash starts strong but then starts noodling over the descending strings, and carries on noodling when Axl's vocals come in – it just ends up getting lost in the mix. With some time in the studio I reckon he could lay down a decent take, though.

It's weird, because of all of the post-Slash songs, TIL was the one where I was most excited to hear a Slash interpretation of the solo. But his work on the other Chinese Democracy songs is far better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

How many hundreds of videos of this show are there in circulation? 16 I have yet to see one from that vantage point.

My vote goes to 21 and always will. I hated the original solo the first time I heard it...I was quite shocked actually. The cheesy lyrics with the music reminded me of a Barry Manilow song and then that solo kicks in....ugh. I much preferred the various fan remixes of TIL without the solo but I was never a big fan of this song to begin with. I don't remember which person involved eons ago said something about it being a cheap, generic NR knockoff but they were right. It wants to be an epic but cant reach those heights and the solo would certainly prevent it from doing so.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Like anything you get used to a version and then when something is redone to that extent it sounds jarring the first time. I think Slash version is technically better but doesn't quite fit the song as well as Robins, but that's not necessarily a compliment to Robin because I'm not a massive fan of the song to start with. I voted Slash.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

To be honest I far prefer the Slash version, and this is coming from someone who wasn't a hater of the original. I know there's some like James who never bought into it - for me I always felt it was doing the job - but I could imagine something nicer.

I feel the slash version nails that emotional crescendo in the way the Robin version was attempting to. That's not a slight on Robin - building to an emotional climax is pretty much slash's trade mark and so there's no shame in this "loss".

So on this one I think Slash wins.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

How many hundreds of videos of this show are there in circulation? 16 I have yet to see one from that vantage point.

Off topic: I think that video is taken by our boy Smoking Guns.

On Topic: I feel bad to be bashing Robin as I know there's guys on here who like him. It's not a slight but I think Slash's style just suits Axl's epics so well. I heard the new TIL and it just felt to me like that's how it always should have gone. Whereas Robin's solo was adequate to me but felt like someone trying to emulate the UYI style of Estranged or November Rain etc.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Granted the sound is not great, but I hear mostly noodling here. The bends aren't where they are supposed to, or not at all. Reminds me of Bumble playing the Nightrain solo, maybe even Bucket when he was bored playing Madagascar and started screwing around.

And that solo should be perfect for Slash. It's done in his style. While I always loved the Robin version, it was the type of song I figured Slash would carry to new heights.

Wonder if Axl cares? Guy's a perfectionist and if it was me sitting up there I wouldn't be pleased, though obviosuly not mad either given the greater context.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I thought Slash built up the tension well with the bends. In the studio you would get more nuance. The original Finck solo was horrible upon first listen but over time I got used to it.

The song solo is closer to Starlight than November Rain. It needed to be more like the Estranged solos. Estranged solos and NR are perfection but Slash had some studio time with those.

I voted Slash.

Oh, and that IS my video! Haha

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

A statement from Axl comes to mind, "I had to push Slash really hard for those guitar solos".

I think he's just a bit lazy. My main issue with his work outside GN'R. When Slash applies himself he can pull out some of the most emotive solos in the world. Your example of Starlight is a good one. Song puts me to sleep. Something in the vein of Estranged is what we need.

Sky Dog wrote:

Slash

Board footer