You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: MATT SORUM 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If it comes down to saying the right things. I don't see how Slash/Duff could listen to this and feel comfortable.

That's what I'm getting at - like online I keep reading about how Matt is a dick - but the truth of it is GNR is a band of people that look out for number one.

Axl taking control of the band and turning partners into employees was kinda fucked.

Not letting Adler have even a cameo insignificant role is kinda fucked.

You all know how much I love these guys but I don't think Matt is any worse than anyone else in the band.

His logic would be he was in the band from day one before the Appetite line up and the people that were in the band with him from day 1 quit.

I don't think it is that fucked.

Adler is a mess. Huge liability. I don't think they've buried the hatchet or he wants Adler involved.

Adler is the drunken embarrassing friend you have. I don't think he can go the places Axl Rose and rest of the band would want to go if they release something creative. The weakest link in the AFD 5.

He wasn't involved in Velvet Revolver for a reason. Not involved with Guns N' Roses for a reason.

Like honestly as a business person I would not want Adler involved and as a bandmate as well. Yes everyone was doing drugs and shit, but obviously they handled it better than Adler and they were more important in the band.

Going to disagree with your Matt assessment. I think he's an asshole.

I think Axl treats people that work for him great. He has never come across as a money grabbing fuck. That licenses his brand to everything. He is more than generous with his songwriting credits and he gives due where due is due.

If Adler is ever involved with the band it will be as a guest, if they let that ever happen. It wouldn't ever be a full time gig. It would be take a bow for one song and please fuck off stage left after the song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

His logic would be he was in the band from day one before the Appetite line up and the people that were in the band with him from day 1 quit.

Yeah but that's warped at best. Like Izzy, Slash and Duff quit after being turned into employees in something they helped create. Sure Axl was around in the band before the AFD line up - but that line up was going no where ala Rapid Fire.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

Adler is the drunken embarrassing friend you have. I don't think he can go the places Axl Rose and rest of the band would want to go if they release something creative. The weakest link in the AFD 5.

I'm not advocating having him back as the full time drummer. But I don't see why he can't be wheeled out and allowed to play Nighttrain every night as part of the encore or something that would give him something to live for in life yet cost the band nothing.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

Based on what though?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

monkeychow wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

Yeah but that's warped at best. Like Izzy, Slash and Duff quit after being turned into employees in something they helped create. Sure Axl was around in the band before the AFD line up - but that line up was going no where ala Rapid Fire.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

I'm not advocating having him back as the full time drummer. But I don't see why he can't be wheeled out and allowed to play Nighttrain every night as part of the encore or something that would give him something to live for in life yet cost the band nothing.

TheSundanceKid wrote:

Based on what though?

Based on the attitude he has had in interviews with Velvet Revolver, how he has been described in the past, and the attitude he projects.

The dude is no Josh Freese. That guy is legit, nice, and unbelievably fucking talented.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If it comes down to saying the right things. I don't see how Slash/Duff could listen to this and feel comfortable. That was from 28th September last year, after months of rumors.

I just listened to that whole thing, again. He said he doesn't care about the money just wanted to play appetite and civil and war and said he would love to share the stage with Matt. Let him play his songs. I think if he gets healthy he will get some time!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Matt is a badass drummer. Period end of discussion. Just like Richard is a badass player.

This here is some amazing drumming. Matt is the real deal.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I thought Matt's behavior in the VR doc when they were looking for a singer was douchey. Btw, Duff reemed his ass for being an asasshole on that show. And his behind the music interview was dickish, saying he thought he joined a rock band but bitching about the piano. And I heard him with my own ears lie on a radio show that Axl got the band drunk and forced them to sign the name over, and included himself in that scenario. Other than that, I really don't pay attention to him.

monkeychow wrote:

Axl taking control of the band and turning partners into employees was kinda fucked.

Was a lot more complicated than that. Fans know that Izzy wasn't happy about the others wanting to reduce his share of touring revenue and they seem to blame Axl for that, but it was a group decision from Axl, Slash and Duff, all of whom had their percentages increased when Izzy departed. Whether you side with Axl/Slash/Duff or side with Izzy, there is no doubt Axl/Slash/Duff were working much harder to promote the tour and working much harder on stage. Their goal was not to reduce Izzy's share. Their goal was to get more effort from Izzy, with the threat of reducing his share intended to encourage him to put in that effort.

Axl never tried to reduce Slash from partner to employee until after Slash refused to move forward with GNR and threatened to go solo and hold the band hostage. I'm not siding with Axl or Slash or taking sides. I have no opinion of who was right or wrong. They were locked over creative differences and both trying to create leverage to get their way. Slash, by threatening to go solo and Axl, by threatening to restructure the partnership. But Slash's threat was first (and he may not have intended to carry it out). Axl was dead serious though.

Not letting Adler have even a cameo insignificant role is kinda fucked.

Adler was going to have a cameo, but got hurt. He'll probably have a cameo in the future if he recovers. The plan all along was for Izzy and Steven to make cameos on several songs throughout the tour. Izzy balked at the money being offered. Steven accepted.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy needs his humble pie play nice and take his 10-20k per night and then make some money in the studio.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Izzy needs his humble pie play nice and take his 10-20k per night and then make some money in the studio.

Let's say hypothetically that Axl's personal nightly guarantee is 500k, with Slash at 300k and Duff at 200k (these are just rough figures and they could earn more if the tour ends up being profitable).

While Steven may be willing to take 10k a night just to be involved, Izzy might find that figure very insulting.

A deal has gotta make sense for both sides and in this instance, there may not be a deal that makes sense for both sides. For Izzy, he doesn't need the money and it may not be worth getting on a plane for such a low figure especially when he knows the others are making so much more.

For GNR, it may not make sense to spend a bunch of money on a guest for a show that is sold out anyway and you can't even advertise the guest because you never know if he'll actually show up.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

for all we know adler was to take part but then he broke axl's foot and axl broke his back and fired him 16

Board footer