You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Memories of the Use Your Illusion Tour: An Interview with Tracey Amos

James wrote:

Memories of the  Use Your Illusion Tour: An Interview with Tracey Amos

xgadw.jpg

Were you a fan of Guns N Roses before joining them?

I was called to audition during a time when I was really into my music and was in local bands and the studio all the time. I, of course knew a lot of their (GnR) songs, and loved their music, but had yet to really delve into them.

How did you get the job? Were there auditions?

I was in a local band, as a backup singer, for my friends' group, Rise Robots Rise, and I was finishing my demo and working on a solo deal. Roberta came to town after a tour with Cinderella, and was recommended by our sound man as a 4th voice for the intricate harmonies. She was hired for one gig and planned to move from NY to LA afterwards. She did. I was, in the mean time, lighting a candle every night for the tour. One day she called, while I was lighting the candle, and asked if I wanted to come to LA to audition with her for GnR ... She had been recommended to Slash by Cinderella ... and that was it. I flew into LA, auditioned with her, rehearsed for 2 weeks, and began the tour.

Did you know any of the band members before joining?

Yes, Roberta.

nq5s35.jpg

Whose idea was it to bring in additional backup singers and the 976-Horns?

Axl saw the vision of the bigger band with bvs and horns and Teddy Zig Zag. I am not sure that Slash ever really got used to us. He was more into the raw sound.

Were you and Roberta considered to be part of the 976 Horns?

No, not at all.

You mentioned 2 weeks of rehearsals before starting on the UYI tour. Were all the GnR guys around during those rehearsals in one form or another? Who was around most? Who was around the least?

Everyone was rehearsing the whole time, except Axl, who came a few times, which is standard. The lead singer doesn't usually attend all of the rehearsals.

Did you ever meet Izzy Stradlin'? If so, did his brief comeback have a noticeable impact in Guns camp, sound or otherwise?

I never met him. I wish I had. He's  immensely talented ... and wow, I missed out.

Gilby Clarke replaced Izzy Stradlin' early on into the UYI Tour. How was your experience of him, being a new recruit as well?

Gilby is a class act, a kind soul. A lot of fun and a soul man. He's fun and mellow.

What are your favorite Guns N Roses songs? Which songs were your favorites to perform on the tour?

I loved performing all of their songs, they are a great band. I was always inspired, and in awe, of how they brought it. I can't say I have a favorite because I loved all of the songs, and when I wasn't on stage I was backstage rockin' out with them. But I did love the dramatic songs with time for a lot of dancing and movement, like November Rain and Live and Let Die. Those were really fun. I loved being on stage for Slash's solos and the epic arrangements.

2ptnu3s.jpg

The Use Your Illusion tour is known for its legendary, wild themed parties. What are your most memorable moments?

In Paris we had time to really party and hang out with Lenny Kravitz and the band. It was a good time and people from all over were there. Slash had a party at his place in LA ... that was a great night too.

The tour is also famous for the lengthy delays before the show starts. How did you feel about this? Any negative memories of this or do you have any bad memories in general about the tour?

Yes, that happened a few times (laughs). It was slightly stressful a few times, yes. Because you didn't know how the crowd would react and what was going to happen, but at the same time I didn't really worry about it. I just flowed with it. I remember the most negative thing was management. They didn't show us much love. But it was hectic and they probably didn't want to have more to manage. In general there was no issue really, just a lot of adventures. The tour was called the "Love Tour" because so many people married from the tour. I married and had 2 kids thanks to meeting my ex-hubby on the tour. So with all the love, music and travel it was all a great time.

Were you present at the Montreal Riot? Memories of that time?

I was not present for any riots, but my ex husband was. It was extreme. Grand Pianos broken and chairs torn out of the floor of new stadiums. I know it was disappointing and wrong for the fans. But that reaction was just as wrong. I was at a few close calls when we went on really late. I was never scared but it was a little stressful to think of what could happen and you're in stiletto-heel thigh-highs (laughs).

While Slash, Duff and Matt were known for their heavy partying, Axl had emotional issues causing sometimes erratic behavior. How did the atmosphere in the band (and the entire outfit) develop as the tour went on from your perspective?

Everything on the UYI tour was pretty much working like a machine. Management had it down and the band was partying, of course, but not more than they could manage. It was high pro-status Rock and Roll . Yes emotional issues, yes partying ... that's rock and roll.

How do you think the tension affected the band's sound and performance over time?

I only noticed a little tension here and there for what seemed to be reasonable band issues during a tour. But mainly I think it was all love and some miscommunications, or lack of communication, that was the main issue. Understanding each other when life is on the road isn't easy. A lot was going on all at the same time.

2e0l5oo.jpg

Axl's tour rider is notorious for some strange items. Any comments/funny stories about band requirements from venues at each stop?

No comment, except think debauchery.

Does any particular show stick out in your memories of crowd sing along volume on KOHD?

The Paris and Tokyo Dome shows, the Madison Square Garden and Freddie Mercury Tributes. Epic moments. Vortexes of time. Music is a powerful influence and GNR was the last band of a time of great rock n' roll. Being on tour with them was incredible, and then to be on the same stage with nearly every rock legend in one day, and to have Steven Tyler show you his chops in person while harmonizing, a sweet gift.

What was it like being in/filming some of the music videos?

Fun, but scripted, less raw of course. My favorite thing is to let the music and moment take you, and you connect with the crowd and the moment and that's all there is. Dancing and singing in that rare space. But a lot of characters shows up for shoots, so it's a good time.

Did you ever meet Sharon 'Yoda' Maynard, Axl's spiritual advisor?

I saw her and was in her presence, but she was in her zone and she was there for a purpose, so she didn't really speak much to anyone. I would like to know more about her.

Did you witness any songwriting magic with the GNR guys during the tour?

Unfortunately no. I would have loved to. Axl would play the piano during sound check. On a few occasions he explored new ideas.

Do you recall This I Love from Chinese Democracy? Axl apparently wrote the song in Paris in 1992.

I remember him playing around at sound check a few times very magical moments.

Did you lay down any vocals on The Spaghetti Incident or partake in the jam sessions for those songs during the UYI tour?

We jammed a few times, but not for the Spaghetti Incident. One jam was epic with Gilby, Matt, Duff  and Teddy. Those were great fun, we jammed on all types of songs. The tour schedule was intense so we had very little down time.

10mkljn.jpg

Were there any discussions about including you in a potential upcoming album at the time?

No. We were mostly viewed by the band as a new sound for Use Your Illusion. It made sense with the impact of the album and the dynamics of the song arrangements.
Any musical collaborations with any of the crew since the UYI tour?

No.

What did you do right after this tour ended?

I was offered a few record deals. I was always recording and I married and had my daughter Jordan.

Are you still in contact with anyone from those days?

I am with my ex-husband (laughs). I am also in touch with Roberta and Matt ... and I have run into Slash a few times.

2v8501s.jpg

With some form of a Guns N Roses reunion taking place and the potential for guest appearances in the future by former members, are you open to the possibility to performing with them if you were asked to do so?

Of course, that would be amazing, I hope they call us for at least a leg of the tour.

Do you have any material available for purchase or download for interested fans?

Yes I have an album. "Who are we Really?"
It's available on iTunes.

I am planning to release another album and launching a label and site that allows collection between great people doing real work via non profits, new tech and music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/trac … id51836386

James

James wrote:

I'd like to thank Tracey for answering our questions.

Unfortunate that this specific lineup at the time never actually recorded anything. Not much time to do so obviously but there were some breaks between tour legs.

I like that she's open to making a guest appearance further down the road. I would love for GNR to do a huge tribute show in the future that includes everyone who has been involved at some point similar to the Metallica show a few years back.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Good stuff. She seems like a rocker. I never minded the bloated UYI touring lineup.

Traciamos
 Rep: 5 

Traciamos wrote:

Thanks for the interview James. Great fan site!

AtariLegend wrote:

Great interview thanks for posting.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's really Traci. Killer!! Great interview. I wasn't a big fan of the horns, but loved Traci and Roberta, especially the Tokyo vids.

James

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I never minded the bloated UYI touring lineup.

I'd love to know who coined this term  to describe it. It stuck. Anytime that post Izzy UYI era gets discussed it doesn't take long for the bloated label to get tossed around even from people who liked it.

I wish the internet had been around back then. It would have been interesting to see how hardcore fans in general felt about extra singers and musicians being added to the touring lineup. Tracey and Roberta got most of the attention and I doubt anyone had a problem with those two. It added a unique flavor to the songs.

In hindsight I think if there were any valid complaints it had more to do with Izzy's absence and not the additions to the lineup. Izzy being gone didn't stop anyone from buying tickets though and Gilby was certainly well liked. YOu just wondered which direction they would go in a post Izzy era.

I do think this 92-93 lineup had potential and its very unfortunate that all we got was TSI out of it which was basically just adding Gilby to the tracks.

Tracey mentioned Paris being one of her highlights. I'm going to watch that whole show since I haven't watched it in its entirety since then. Tokyo is the most well known show of the UYI tour due to the VHS release but there were much better shows on that tour IMO....Argentina for starters.

This is one of the highlights at Paris.

Traciamos wrote:

Thanks for the interview James. Great fan site!

Speak of the devil. 16 15 I was just about to email you and tell you I had posted it. I guess you saw it in your Twitter feed.

Welcome to the forum. 5

here's Tracey's Twitter page...

https://twitter.com/traci_amos

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I had the biggest crush on Traci (and still do) ha. Great interview. Seems very humble and loves music and performing. Very cool that should would like to perform with them again. I hope it happens. Thanks again!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

That's pretty rad that she did the interview. Glad to hear her perspective on how some of the tour went.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Great read, thanks for arranging the interview & posting it James, very cool. I loved the audacity and scale of the UYI tour, I didnt think it was bloated at all, at the time, i just thought it was epic!

Board footer