You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: DJ ASHBA: AXL ROSE wanted me to be a part of GNR Reunion

misterID wrote:

Yeah, I shouldn't have said "rejoined", but 2010 was an issue, and he said that he was done with Sixx AM, which was obviously not true.

Ron couldn't keep his mouth shut about his leaving, I doubt he'd be trusted with any Slash info. And Ron wouldn't know as the Slash stuff happened after he left. I'm sure Tommy would know but not how it's been said.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

As far as I understand, he was not going to be a member of Sixx AM, stuff was already recorded and there was going to be no touring with the band. That there was even going to be a lawsuit between he and Nikki. He then quit GNR to rejoin Sixx AM.

That's not correct.

The timeline is this:

2007: SixxAm is formed and released "The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack"
2008: Work begins on a follow up
2009: March - Dj joins GNR
2009 : April - Sixx Am announce they are in the studio recording.
2010: Feb - Announce that guitar is finished, bass still being recorded.
2010: July - Announce that new album is finished
2011: May - "Lies of the Beautiful People" released
2011: December - Band announces an EP featuring unplugged versions of songs will be released
2012: April - Band peforms live at golden gods awards.
2012: November - band says working on new music
2013: July - Band previews new song
2014: Third album "Modern Vintage" Released
2015: Feb - band plays live
2015: July - Dj quits GNR to focus on Sixx Am

There is no way from that timeline that everything was pre-recorded. If DJ went back on some commitment not to record or play with Sixx:Am then he broke it many times in the past 6-7 years - it would seem odd for this suddenly to make Axl mad now.

Perhaps "Lies of the Beauitiful People was pre-recorded - although it seems odd from that timeline, but the entire process for "Modern Vintage" def occurred concurrently with GNR.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I always thought DJ was in Sixx AM and GNR at the same time. I thought it was just like how Myles is in Conspirators and Alter Bridge. Just like how Nikki was in both Motley and Sixx AM and just like how Fortus was in Thin Lizzy/ Dead Dasies and still in GNR.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Yea I agree DJ never left Sixx.   Thing is, if GNR/Axl is making plans, he is not going to work around Nikki Sixx's schedule, or anyone else for that matter.   That's why Robin is probably no longer in the band..   So while Sixx was still in Motley, it wasn't a conflict.    Once Motley retired, Sixx AM was to become Nikki's full time gig.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

As far as I understand, he was not going to be a member of Sixx AM, stuff was already recorded and there was going to be no touring with the band. That there was even going to be a lawsuit between he and Nikki. He then quit GNR to rejoin Sixx AM.

That's not correct.

The timeline is this:

2007: SixxAm is formed and released "The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack"
2008: Work begins on a follow up
2009: March - Dj joins GNR
2009 : April - Sixx Am announce they are in the studio recording.
2010: Feb - Announce that guitar is finished, bass still being recorded.
2010: July - Announce that new album is finished
2011: May - "Lies of the Beautiful People" released
2011: December - Band announces an EP featuring unplugged versions of songs will be released
2012: April - Band peforms live at golden gods awards.
2012: November - band says working on new music
2013: July - Band previews new song
2014: Third album "Modern Vintage" Released
2015: Feb - band plays live
2015: July - Dj quits GNR to focus on Sixx Am

There is no way from that timeline that everything was pre-recorded. If DJ went back on some commitment not to record or play with Sixx:Am then he broke it many times in the past 6-7 years - it would seem odd for this suddenly to make Axl mad now.

Perhaps "Lies of the Beauitiful People was pre-recorded - although it seems odd from that timeline, but the entire process for "Modern Vintage" def occurred concurrently with GNR.

In 2010, DJ nearly violated his GNR contract. He told Axl he was done with Sixx AM, and promised GNR was his priority, and would not tour. Was it wrong to say he rejoined? Yes. But he was not in on Slash returning.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

The A in Sixx A.M. stands for Asha

SIXX Asha Michaels ... DJ has writing control, ASCAP credits, producer duties...why would he ever leave all that to play someone else's songs in a vegas residency? And with Slash coming back he stepped away ... same as tommy ... to make room for an original

If anyone listens to Sixx Sense with Nikki he always said he didn't have a problem w DJ in gnr cuz he was too busy w Crue and the Radio programme at the time ... same as alot of other guys in gnr...they juggle other projects as each entity takes a break

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
WARose wrote:

100% true in my opinion. axl seems to be a big fan of dj for whatever reason. and he also seems to have lost any sense of reality about the slashless gnr era, too.

This is the winner

I have to speak out here on DJ, because people again are unjustly rolling him under the bus as the bad guy.

DJ from the time I briefly met him, as well as observing his interactions with others, with fans, and knowing people who spoke with him backstage numerous times... ALL of them had similar stories of DJ's behavior.

He was GREAT with fans. He was ALWAYS an ambassador for the band. He ALWAYS spoke well of Axl, Slash, other previous members, and always carried a positivity with him to write NEW music -- EXACTLY what the FANS wanted MORE than endless touring.

Just because people didn't want to hear an Axl/DJ -- GN'R album, doesn't make it any less what he wanted.

DJ was the ONE guy, from 1998-2014, the ONE guy out of all of those endless members that cracked into Axl's inner circle, and because a genuine friend of his and hanged with him, did stuff, went to shows, with the exception of Axl being forced to take Buckethead to Disneyland in order to get him to sign.

I also totally believe that DJ was going to be a THIRD guitarist in this reunion-version of GN'R. Slash was returning to replace RON. Richard was NEVER going anywhere. Axl's made it clear in numerous shows so far that "Ladies & Gentlemen... Mr. Richard Fortus... he's been in the band 15 years!"

Axl's original reunion lineup was...

Duff returned in 2014, and Tommy was being phased out by the end of Vegas.
Ron quit in 2014, after Vegas. Everyone has admitted to such.
DJ was going to bring Orianthi in to replace Ron. They passed.
The decision was then made for Slash to return.
Axl/GN'R briefly considered incorporating Slash into the 2014 version of the band, and pushing forward.
DJ bails to rejoin Sixx:AM full-time, as they were now going to become a full time touring/recording outfit with the retirement of Crue.

Axl loved DJ. I have no doubt that the decision to bail on the 3rd guitarist is the only thing that squeezed DJ out. Axl was never going to ask DJ to leave, for the same reasons he's been so defiant on keeping Richard & Frank. Ron quit, and Axl wasn't going to fire anybody that he didn't want to. Chris obviously became a negative distraction. Something DJ never ever did, which is why Axl stayed loyal. When DJ left, I think it came as quite a shock to them, but probably not a surprise. People are more willing to leave when they have big bands to fall back on, and although Sixx:AM isn't GN'R-level, they are certainly Motley Crue-lite level, which has to be some sort of a pay day.

In an alternate dimension, the 2015 lineup was...

Axl
Slash
DJ
Richard
Duff
Frank
Dizzy
Chris

Obviously DJ left, and Chris was shown the door.

Musically, i'm glad DJ parted for Sixx:AM. DJ is better in Sixx, and would've never really fit in with Guns musically, especially with Slash back on lead. Sixx:AM gets DJ, GN'R gets Slash... everybody is where they are supposed to be. Rock lives on.

AtariLegend wrote:

[DJ] has a negative stage aura and has never endeared himself well to most of the fans.

I've always felt for the most part, this statement is simply not true. The hardcores didn't like DJ, because DJ was never about appealing to the hardcores. DJ was about bringing in casuals, and although I don't think DJ ever brought anymore than a few new fans, DJ also kept the lights on as well. Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal certainly was NOT that guy. DJ slowed the bleeding, simply because he was there.

People keep rolling DJ under the bus, but are forgetting that Axl shot himself perminately in the foot after the DEBACLE that was 2006 for Guns N' Roses. Not only did THE WORLD at that point expect the album by the end of the year (leaks + touring + Axl VMA appearence + activity + manager dropping hints)

Everybody got fluffed up and was about ready for climax, and then Axl hopped off and answered the phone.

I don't know about everybody else, but I was left in complete shock going into Christmas 2006, knowing there would be no album and the band basically did 2006 for fuck all. I wasn't the only person who felt that way either. I also was convinced going into 2007 that Chinese would NEVER be released and that Axl was just a man full of excuses and had used everyone, from the fans, to rolling Merck under the bus (still feel he and Beta rolled Merck under the bus).

Now in 2011-16, in the last five years, there's been all this love and revisionism for that 2006-07 period like it was so much greater than what we got, yet the 2009-10 band was a FAR better band, and at least the best group since 2001-02. They might not have had Robin, but they all seemed to be on the same page, DJ was FAR hungrier to be with Guns than Robin ever was, and Axl seemed to adore him. DJ also seemed to get along with the band, something Robin, nor Ron, ever did. Times seemed happy. Then 2011. The wheels fell off, because Axl hit the worst artistic period of his life. Not only was he a joke of an artist, not only was he a failure to his own dream, he had become the Mickey Thomas of Guns N' Roses... the weakest member in his cover band.

I remember several people, on THIS BOARD mind you, that posted again  and again about how "Man I wish THIS BAND would record something. They are so good. Without Axl is they have to"

What happened with that?

So in fairness, i'll say it in final...

Robin Finck sucks. Always has. Always will. And Robin Finck (as well as Bucket), BURIED Guns N' Roses with mainstream audiences YEARS and YEARS before DJ Ashba had even got out of being a replacement player in BulletBoys.

Blaming DJ for fucking up GN'R, is like hooking up with Jenna Jameson in 2016 and complaining that her pussy is a Mayo jar. That pussy was wrecked years ago by many of other men before you. All you can do is your best to get her off...

DJ Ashba in Guns N' Roses summed up
2009-2014

In the end -- blame Axl

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Bullshit.

You really think DJ would pass up a payday like this? Not just the payday, but all the exposure to his shitty brand? I don't think so. The guy sells a custom Dodge Challenger on his website for fucks sake.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Rex wrote:

Bullshit.

You really think DJ would pass up a payday like this? Not just the payday, but all the exposure to his shitty brand? I don't think so. The guy sells a custom Dodge Challenger on his website for fucks sake.

It's smarter for him to leave and not be disgraced.

Think about the division of labor under the 3 guitar set up: Richard mostly plays rhythm and hardly gets any solos, bucket/bumble do the occasional shred solo or difficult passage but a lot of the time don't solo, then the bulk of the lead playing has always been Robin/DJ during the songs.

If DJ goes now he was the major lead player in GNR, replaced by the return of Slash who is part of the iconic AFD lineup. No shame in that at all.

What happens if he stays?

Option 1: Slash replaces DJ, and RJ does Ron's parts. Problem - DJ doesn't really shred/tap to that extreme - that's why they were Ron's parts.

Option 2: Dj stays in his role, Slash replaces Ron. Problem - Imagine the hate from the audience if Slash is on stage playing rhythm while Dj is playing his solos from the classic hits. Doesn't make ANY sense.

Option 3: Split the solos with Slash some new way sharing his role. Problem - Still get some hate (see option 2), plus now he's demonstrably doing less than before (looks like he failed), plus exposes him to direct comparison against slash - one of the people he clearly bases his playing and stage persona on. Picture how it would look - both of them in their top hats - trading solos and leaning back. It would make Dj look like a complete imitator. It's one thing to imitate slash in the absence of slash to allow the night to be a little more like classic GNR. It's another thing to replicate slash standing next to the real slash and being the reason he plays less.

If DJ leaves before this happens he saves so much face it's not funny. He did a stand up job performing the GNR hits. Nu-GNR wasn't taken seriously but you wouldn't put the blame on him for that. Replaced by slash he can move on as a career lead-guitarist and be a viable option for similar bands. Staying would destroy his career.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Rex wrote:

Bullshit.

It's smarter for him to leave and not be disgraced.

Think about the division of labor under the 3 guitar set up: Richard mostly plays rhythm and hardly gets any solos, bucket/bumble do the occasional shred solo or difficult passage but a lot of the time don't solo, then the bulk of the lead playing has always been Robin/DJ during the songs.

If DJ goes now he was the major lead player in GNR, replaced by the return of Slash who is part of the iconic AFD lineup. No shame in that at all.

What happens if he stays?

Option 1: Slash replaces DJ, and RJ does Ron's parts. Problem - DJ doesn't really shred/tap to that extreme - that's why they were Ron's parts.

Option 2: Dj stays in his role, Slash replaces Ron. Problem - Imagine the hate from the audience if Slash is on stage playing rhythm while Dj is playing his solos from the classic hits. Doesn't make ANY sense.

Option 3: Split the solos with Slash some new way sharing his role. Problem - Still get some hate (see option 2), plus now he's demonstrably doing less than before (looks like he failed), plus exposes him to direct comparison against slash - one of the people he clearly bases his playing and stage persona on. Picture how it would look - both of them in their top hats - trading solos and leaning back. It would make Dj look like a complete imitator. It's one thing to imitate slash in the absence of slash to allow the night to be a little more like classic GNR. It's another thing to replicate slash standing next to the real slash and being the reason he plays less.

If DJ leaves before this happens he saves so much face it's not funny. He did a stand up job performing the GNR hits. Nu-GNR wasn't taken seriously but you wouldn't put the blame on him for that. Replaced by slash he can move on as a career lead-guitarist and be a viable option for similar bands. Staying would destroy his career.

DJ could just ditch the top hat and play. It's not like it's stitched to his head. The hat is really the only similarity. Him standing next to Axl, Slash, and Duff every night would only improve his image/brand. The majority of people going to these shows are casuals, not diehard GN'R fans making lists about why he turned down playing in a Gn'R reunion. 16

Board footer