You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNR Members Google Searches

Lomax wrote:

I was playing around on google trends a site that shows you how popular google search terms were over the past 10 years.

I put in all the original guns n roses members.

I know this is all fairy open to interpretation, but I thought the graphs were pretty informative.

We hardcores think of Duff as being as important as Slash and Axl but the average fan isn't searching for info about Duff nearly half as much as they are searching for Axl and Slash. No one really searches for info on Steve Adler, Izzy or Duff.

Slash's popularity has plummeted since returning to GNR while Axl's has gone through the roof.

https://www.google.ie/trends/explore#q= … tc%2FGMT-1

Again I know it's all meaningless and out of context but still looks kinda cool and says something about how the public views GNR and DufF Izzy and Steve's roles.

johndivney wrote:

Axl/dc might account for some of that bump. Fun graph tho.

ComeUpRoses
 Rep: 3 

ComeUpRoses wrote:

Slash's popularity has plummeted since returning to GNR while Axl's has gone through the roof.

I wonder why Slash's popularity has taken a nose dive? You'd think the reunion would spike interest in both of them.

I'm surprised at how little interest there is in the rest of the band. People aren't any more interested in Duff than they are Adler? Actually they're *less* interested -- at least Adler got those little spikes when he appeared on rehab reality shows.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Very interesting!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
ComeUpRoses wrote:

I wonder why Slash's popularity has taken a nose dive? You'd think the reunion would spike interest in both of them.

I'm surprised at how little interest there is in the rest of the band. People aren't any more interested in Duff than they are Adler? Actually they're *less* interested -- at least Adler got those little spikes when he appeared on rehab reality shows.

Well Slash isn't out there doing press and making appearances like  he normally did when he was on his own. It was necessary to keep himself in the spotlight and he did a great job of it. But he's been pretty silent since the reunion, and obviously Axl has been more active than ever of late.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Pisses me off seeing neutered Slash and then see Axl having fucking press conferences talking about GNR. HE SHOULD HAVE TALKED ABOUT GNR WITH GNR. That little fucker... His stupidity is so infuriating sometimes!  It was my dream to see Slash back in GNR. Saw them twice, but if no music is coming I prefer him not be involved anymore and allow Axl to become a nobody again. Axl is ONLY huge again right now because Slash came back and that parlayed into Axl/DC.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Izzy has no one to blame but himself for the lack of interest. He went the Buckethead route with his career(minus the touring) and you can only be mysterious for so long before the world simply moves on. He should have had an online presence a decade ago on social media. Instead...he waits until one second before midnight to join twitter to "clear the air" on his status at the time and most didn't believe it was him, even legit journalists who wanted to talk to him. Finally confirms his account as legit and in the meantime hardcore Izzy fans such as myself, Will, and many others try to get Izzy trending. He should have easily noticed this yet ignores it while making a handful of replies to a few people. Sites like Evo supporting him get ignored yet gives shout outs to certain subjects who were in reality just trolling him. The cover songs were great though.

He didn't handle his introduction to the hardcore GNR base and the general public very well. Sites like this one that always supported him were ignored and he called MSL out(a popular, high profile member of the community) for just simply posting some info going around amongst various circles. MSL was/is also a huge Izzy fan.

Rolling Stone and some online media outlets went from instantly wanting to interview him to not seeming to care either way. As much as I would've loved to read an in depth interview, I can see why they lost interest...especially if they were following that in real time.

Izzy has always had the image of being the ultimate Joe Cool but in today's world, that and a dollar will buy you a Coke.

Adler was popular for a brief time....87-89 and when he did that rehab show. He is mainly known as being a junkie and the average person searching google for anything GNR related isn't likely to even bother. They know what he's up to....either saying he's clean or placing a white crystal substance into a glass pipe. If Adler can seriously get clean, STAY clean, and gets the right PR person, that would be a great story that would draw attention to him.

Next year when its the 30th anniversary of AFD, google interest in both Izzy and Adler will likely rise.

As already said, Slash and Duff have been very quiet this year and while the reunion is THE music story of the year, our culture is all about instant gratification and what is trending. Slash and Duff are quiet, no searches. Axl is fronting two of the biggest rock acts of all time and is now talking.....no surprise he is the most talked about GNR member.

Lomax....it isn't meaningless. It shows where the general interest is in GNR right now.

SG- I don't think Slash is necessarily neutered its just that these guys know its a unique "not in this lifetime" event and GNR has always been on shaky ground. Even back in the old days it was fragile and some said it was a miracle they stayed together long enough to record AFD. If they were to say the wrong thing publicly(like Slash offering a rebuttal to lies in his book) but that would just create tension where none needs to be.

This is a huge undertaking with a massive tour on the way, potential for new music, etc. and if they believe not commenting at this point in time wouldn't help anything, I understand it.

I do imagine at some point they will join in on promoting....especially if music gets released whether its another GH, single on soundtrack, or new album.

ComeUpRoses
 Rep: 3 

ComeUpRoses wrote:

Thanks for all the background & information, James.

Even back in the old days it was fragile and some said it was a miracle they stayed together long enough to record AFD.

After reading Adler's book, I think it's a miracle they stayed *alive* long enough to record it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Pisses me off seeing neutered Slash and then see Axl having fucking press conferences talking about GNR. HE SHOULD HAVE TALKED ABOUT GNR WITH GNR. That little fucker... His stupidity is so infuriating sometimes!  It was my dream to see Slash back in GNR. Saw them twice, but if no music is coming I prefer him not be involved anymore and allow Axl to become a nobody again. Axl is ONLY huge again right now because Slash came back and that parlayed into Axl/DC.

Who says he didn't talk to GNR about GNR? And I wouldn't call that Q&A a press conference. If it weren't for the secret taping from the audience member, we probably wouldn't have heard much about this if at all. Let's not act like Axl is holding Slash down now. Once the tour kicks off they'll be back in the spotlight. Slash makes Axl bigger and better just like Axl does for Slash, lets be fair. It works both ways.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Lomax wrote:

I was playing around on google trends a site that shows you how popular google search terms were over the past 10 years.

I put in all the original guns n roses members.

I know this is all fairy open to interpretation, but I thought the graphs were pretty informative.

We hardcores think of Duff as being as important as Slash and Axl but the average fan isn't searching for info about Duff nearly half as much as they are searching for Axl and Slash. No one really searches for info on Steve Adler, Izzy or Duff.

https://www.google.ie/trends/explore#q= … tc%2FGMT-1

Again I know it's all meaningless and out of context but still looks kinda cool and says something about how the public views GNR and DufF Izzy and Steve's roles.

I wouldn't say Slash took a nose dive.  He had a spike in 2010 and he's been trending down since. Makes sense, his self titled album came out in 2010, and he's been very active since, law of diminishing returns.

Board footer