You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: The Set-List

esoterica wrote:

A good thing to keep in mind is that the people who post on message boards =/= your average joe.
A lot of my friends love CD and know that Axl's the only original guy on it. The can take it for what it is and be more objective.

I don't care about Adler. At all. I may or may not care about Izzy despite his importance to the early days of GNR.

I care about new music with Axl singing. That's my personal opinion.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Catcher!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

But I will say my expectations are getting higher and bullshit tolerance is getting lower. The band is in the best position it can possibly be in to succeed with new music, releasing old stuff, etc., so they need to deliver the goods to their fans who have been getting deep dicked for 15 years.

My expectations are extremely high as well. We haven't been in this position since 1991 and 2001 when the sky was the limit.

I also find it amazing that some who complain about the current situation were hardcore supporters of the 2009-14 lineup.....which did nothing, never were, yet were praised to the moon by some.

At least there's now a legit chance at forward movement instead of having to pretend there's a chance like the glory days of Ron and Ashba.

It's just so wasteful how they continue to squander opportunity after opportunity. At least they're doing this big tour now...but when you think about what could happen with a reunited tour...this is absolutely the least that you'd think would happen.

This is the LEAST that could happen? 18 REALLY? How about the whole thing crashing and burning before lift off? Or strictly a hits set? How about terrible chemistry? Everyone hating one another and it clearly showing?

There's tons of ways this could have been a shit sandwich but instead has exceeded expectations. I get some of the complaints like wanting The Seeker dropped and maybe tightening up the screws a bit but they are blowing stadium sized crowds away, getting great reviews, they're happy as pigs in shit, list goes on.

What opportunities are they squandering?

Only thing missing is new material but we're only a few months into this shindig so its not to be expected. Izzy getting onstage to sing Dust N Bones would be great but I doubt that happens any time soon. AFD reunion at some point next year even if only a few shows is feasible.

I guess I'm in the group that is impressed with the current lineup and would have no problem with this being the final lineup of GNR.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

If they're digging through the vaults, it'd be nice if they dusted off Don't Damn Me (which AFAIK was never played live by the band). That'd be a good "new" old track. Though I imagine it's an absolute bastard to sing with all those run-on lyrics and no breathing space, on the same level as TWAT.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is the LEAST that could happen? 18 REALLY?

Yep.

Axl and Slash = huge stadium tour.

People on forums seems to be acting like the success is a surprise.

But did you really think Axl and Slash was going to sell the same as DJ Ashba? As Robin?

When the real GNR is a top 10 of all time act, when AFD is the 4th highest selling record of the 1980s, when Slash has spent the past 30 years working tirelessly to assert himself as the classic rock player of his generation?

The moment there was going to be ANY reunion of Axl and Slash was the moment this shindig was headed back into stadiums.

So that's a given to me, as if the fact the shows sound good, in what world was Slash going to sound bad playing in GNR?  He's been in legendary form for at least 5-6 years now.

So a huge stadium tour where they sound pretty good is minimum - the only way that wasn't going to happen was if the reunion didn't happen.

If this exceeded your expectations it's only because Axl's mental health has trained you to expect a shit storm.

What we're getting is a line up where the cheapest players are chosen over those who wrote the material, and STILL no original album or even a single even though Axl has how many records in the can and even though Slash can record an album in a matter of days. No communication on why they reunited, why other members aren't, none of the fan-service other bands do like meets and so on....no re-releases of old material even...

I didn't say it's not good. It's Axl and Slash in stadiums. Of course it's good. But after 20+ years of wastage it's kinda the least and smallest way this could go down given it was always going to be a world event.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This shindig has only been in operation for months ......why is anyone expecting an album, re-releases, or even a single right now? I agree a single would be incredible but its obviously not needed at the moment. If we're getting anything new, tell Santa what you want for Christmas, not summer. wink

Not enough time has transpired for the vault to be released. It took three years for SG fans to get new songs, album, and a box set of the vault and we're about to get Down on the Upside remastered five years after their reunion but GNR should accomplish all this in six months?

If this exceeded your expectations

It exceeded my expectations because they're kicking ass, giving us set lists that we used to pipe dream about years ago, and a great lineup was assembled for it. I also sense forward movement.

You used to rave on the Ashba-Ron abortion years which brought nothing but despair. Why rave on that yet have so many issues with this? What was that lineup doing that was so much better?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Not enough time has transpired for the vault to be released. It took three years for SG fans to get new songs, album, and a box set of the vault and we're about to get Down on the Upside remastered five years after their reunion but GNR should accomplish all this in six months?

It's entirely different because Cornell didn't spend his prime creative years doing absolutely nothing.

He did 3 records with Audioslave and what 4 solo records? So that's 7 albums worth of output in the same time frame. Which is an entirely different creative headspace to then go back and relook at works you did prior to the band breaking up.

Axl on the other hand has released what 15 songs in the past 25 years? More than 10 years ago multiple witnesses talked about the dozens of other finished songs he has lying around. His last album was 8 years ago and that was songs written mostly 17 years ago or more.

There is absolutely zero reason why the band should delay songwriting other than Axl has psychological issues around it these days.

The first order of business could have been to release a comeback album (or single) much like Ac/Dc did for "Black Ice" - hell a single you could smash that out in a day just by adding Slash and Duff to one of the shit ton of vault songs Axl has. That's without them having to even make a real effort like write something new!

You used to rave on the Ashba-Ron abortion years which brought nothing but despair. Why rave on that yet have so many issues with this? What was that lineup doing that was so much better?

It sure wasn't better but that just adds to it for me. This shit is cumulative in terms of the frustration factor.

I enjoyed moments of it like I do this, but every year I get more frustrated watching the waste continue. Are they hoping to put out their other songs post posthumously?

We had to sit through how many shows where the guitarists with the most skill (Bucket/Bumble) do almost nothing while guys like DJ and Robin vamp up the lead lines? We watch as a guy like Richard who plays closest to the old style was relegated to rhythm? We endure 20+ years of album talk while the band stuffs up every chance at everything. Then Axl gives up singing with any rasp for 4 or 5 years seemingly (now) just cos he felt like it.  The band seizes that as a chance to put out THE ONLY GNR blue-ray and picks the most disinteresting performance out of even that line up's tours let alone old line ups.

Then thank god this reunion happens. But as I said...it's happening as reunion-lite.

I'm excited to think about going to the Aussie shows and seeing Axl and Slash on stage again of course, but the fact that we've moved from aping 1987 AFD shows to aping 1993 UYI shows doesn't really bring me a lot of solace.

It's beyond time for the band to move forward. Start a new era. A new era is not Slash pretending to be bucket while Adler and Izzy sit out the back listening to Fortus and Frank play the parts they wrote. A new era would be one new song. Anything. Just do something new to show this is a viable creative entity going forward and not just happening to pay for Slash's divorce and fernando's next car.

I know the shows are cool. I'm looking forward to going. But I dunno....I saw the UYI tour back when KOHD had rasp....it's nice they've ended the most self-destructuve and pointless feud in recent musical history....i'm happy for them...but yeah...after fucking themselves and us for 30 years I need more than the minimum effort to be giving out little gold star stickers of approval....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

It's a shame that they had to wait for the fan base to become so jaded before taking on this type of tour

It's also a shame that the tickets are so damn expensive

Anyway setlist? I'm fine with it..whatever if they sound good and the crowd is happy that's all that matters really

Would I like to see it changed up regularly? Yes and no...do I have my own personal wants to see them play live? He'll yeah...but they have to please 50-70k people...not just some random hardcore that may or may not attend a gig

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'll give you I am very jaded!!

I see they added catcher today which is pretty cool. My original issue was that back to back shows with no change at all seemed lazy when it's not hard for them to swap out a song or two. So it's nice they're doing that sometimes now.

People keep talking of a christmas dvd and some new songs on a GH....if that happens I'll be much happier.

Board footer