You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 9/7/16 NISSAN STADIUM, NASHVILLE, TN UNITED STATES

James wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Izzy calls it fighter pilot money....whatever the fuck that means.

First time I saw FP money I thought it meant Fortus-Pitman money. 14

Well  I mean he does have to understand if he hasn't put in a full tour since the 90s, why would he get paid like the rest?

Makes no sense. Only thing could be his ego getting in the way of the logic.

I'm an Izzy nutswinnger through and through and even I think it would be ridiculous if he expected to be brought in to the partnership.  Having said that, none of us know exactly what he wants so its unfair to assume he wants back in to that level.

Everyone understands why he bailed in 91 but when making critical decisions like that, need to think of the long term impact of such a decision. I'm just glad I got see them like a month or two before he bailed out. A lot of GNR fans in the old days had their favorites...majority being Axl and Slash. I was in the Axl and Izzy group. Even at a young age I understood what he brought to the band. Plus he just seemed so cool. 16 They all had these unique personalities and while he sorta blended in to the background, that coolness stood out to some.

While Slash is in the partnership, him walking away under different circumstances was just as crazy if not more so. Guarantee he regrets doing so....especially now that he's back. While they all had success to varying degrees post 93, none of it matches what they could have done together.

One thing that sucks about the mid 90s breakup is the possibility of bringing Izzy back in before it all went to shit. Like Soundgarden, they didn't need to break up......they just needed a break from one another. TSI and that massive tour wrapped up in 1993 but there's infighting over the musical direction in 1994?!? 18

How about stepping away from the collective crack pipe and stay home for a couple years counting that stack of cash.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Izzy calls it fighter pilot money....whatever the fuck that means.

Somewhere around $100k and a lot of danger? 10   16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

While Slash is in the partnership, him walking away under different circumstances was just as crazy if not more so. Guarantee he regrets doing so....especially now that he's back. While they all had success to varying degrees post 93, none of it matches what they could have done together.

Interesting topic.

The key statement there is "what they COULD have done together".

In a perfect universe they would have rekindled their chemistry and the best of the solo , Snakepit, Slash, VR, and Chinese Democracy 1-3 material would be full GNR songs and maybe some new organic material we can;t even imagine. We'd have at least double the GNR catalogue we have. That might have happened.

Then again. Maybe it doesn't go so well. Maybe the sort of inactivity and crippling anxiety that characterised the CD era would have occurred anyway. Maybe the creative differences would have increased, maybe the tension at gigs would push Axl to a worse mental health outcome, maybe we still would have only got 1 album but also now wouldn't gave any of the side projects. It's impossible to say.

The current reunion wouldn't be a big deal, they'd just be another oldies band on the circut. We would have got some killer proshots in 2006 though!

I think he's glad to be back for sure...but as for regret ...I have no doubt they regret giving Axl the sort of control he has, but do they regret leaving once he was already in power?

I dunno - I look at it and I see Slash leveraged his success in GNR to be the media darling he is, the guitarist of his generation, and leave an incredible legacy....had he stayed would any of that happen? Maybe GNR would have gone from strength to strength and their best solo records would be GNR records....but maybe also they'd have disappeared into another Chinese Democracy silence anyway.

James

James wrote:

He was already a media darling and the guitarist of his generation before bailing out. That MIGHT have been part of the problem.....he got too big for his britches.

but maybe also they'd have disappeared into another Chinese Democracy silence anyway.

Under no circumstances would a post UYI lineup featuring the 'big 3' have went that long without an album. For starters, they would have had zero resistance from the label. Once an album is handed in, album gets released.

While the seeds of Chinese Democracy were planted in 94, it wouldn't have turned into a runaway train with no destination in sight.

They needed to walk away for a couple years. Start recording an album in 1996 and come back in 1997. Worst case scenario they face a backlash a bit similar to U2's Pop but like U2, would've survived it. ]

I don't understand why they thought they needed to do anything in 94. SFTD not required, and the tension caused by Gilby's firing/Paul's hiring was the last thing that should've happened. Iron that shit out privately. Couldn't they see that the world was just recovering from a GNR overdose?

GNR were the most uncool band in the world in 1995. Nobody was listening to them and DJs would laugh if you requested them. The world had endured a Metallica overdose in the same time frame. Metallica realized that and stayed under the radar until 96.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Under no circumstances would a post UYI lineup featuring the 'big 3' have went that long without an album. For starters, they would have had zero resistance from the label. Once an album is handed in, album gets released.

Ahh but the label still wouldn't like a GnR album that didn't sound like Guns N' Roses.

In this scenario I'm painting Axl retains FULL CONTROL but the rest of the band just doesn't walk out. So he still wants to make a NIN record or whatever. But the others hang in there Dizzy Reed style.

So he was still free to take Slash's guitar parts and ignore them, or bring in a bunch of guys like Fink or Bucket to use as well. Slash getting more and more dejected probably doesn't even do his best work once characters like Bucket are brought in to redo his parts.

So Axl turns over an album to the label that still sounds kinda like the "1999" demos.

To me the ways we get our GNR superband is:

1. Axl never gets full control - so is forced to compromise - and at the same time the band never breaks up - so he's not able to outright reject stuff like Snakepit1 and Duff's stuff of that era.

2. They do break up - but the reunion like we have now takes place much earlier - prior to VR - you'd still waste Snakepit 1 (which was an AFD in the making if Axl had been on it as far as I'm concerned) - but you'd salvage CD, Contraband and Slash's solo works.

James

James wrote:

IMO you're using way too much of what happened in the CD era to describe the alternate universe of a mid-late 90s GNR. In 94-96 there was no sign of the continuous Chinese merry go round of guitarists and Buckethead was on no ones radar. The only lineup issue in that period was Paul Huge and it either could've been worked out or Paul tossed aside at the last minute when Axl comes to the realization its clearly not going to work. Slash gave up way too quickly, ran off to do Snakepit, and the damage verging on irrepairable by the time he got back. He got back just in time for his chickens to come home to roost. While Duff(and Matt) hung in longer, they made the exact same mistake a year later with Neurotic Outsiders. There's heavy shit going down and your answer to that is to run off and do a solo/side project? Just like with Snakepit, there were roosting chickens when they came back.

If they all just stay and tough it out, none of those projects happen to create a bigger divide.

Ahh but the label still wouldn't like a GnR album that didn't sound like Guns N' Roses.

Even if they briefly go in a NIN/alternative direction, any album with Axl, Slash, and Duff is going to sound like GNR and even if it doesn't.....from the label's standpoint it was STILL Guns N Roses at that point. Metallica went in a different direction in 96...U2 in 97......GNR doing so would have been expected. The label didn't get cold feet until years after it entered clusterfuck status.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck me this is amazing. I mean, this is pretty much the AFD sound. Since Fortus is nailing Izzy for the most part and it isn't as distinct as Adler this is it. I mean, it is fucking amazing. Great video and audio.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

In that fantasy late-90s scenario, Slash reconciles himself to the idea of Paul Huge as a member of the band, Axl goes off and does his industrial project with Trent Reznor, and all the more rock-oriented Axl material is mashed up with the best of the Snakepit tracks and the odds and sods we know were written around that time (TIL, the demo version of Fall To Pieces, etc). The problem I see in this scenario is that by 1996, GN'R were considered deeply unfashionable by the music press, who were all aboard the grunge/nu-metal train. I could see them releasing a Snakepit/proto-CD album and having it tank because it was out of step with current musical tastes.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Slash gave up way too quickly, ran off to do Snakepit, and the damage verging on irrepairable by the time he got back. He got back just in time for his chickens to come home to roost. While Duff(and Matt) hung in longer, they made the exact same mistake a year later with Neurotic Outsiders. There's heavy shit going down and your answer to that is to run off and do a solo/side project?

It's interesting though that basically everyone has run off to a side project by my reckoning, like Slash and Duff, Bucket, Bumble, DJ....hell even fortus and Dizzy fill in the time. It's hard for people to wait for Axl.

However, it would be interesting in an Alternative universe where Slash wasn't a junkie - that would take the pressure off him to get back on the road for Snakepit 1 - which may have given him more patience for Axl to tinker Snakepit.

James Lofton wrote:

IMO you're using way too much of what happened in the CD era to describe the alternate universe of a mid-late 90s GNR.

Perhaps you're right. I just feel that was the beginning of the rot. Hell TSI was ment to be a fill in EP but got upgraded to an album when they couldn't get their shit together - and the sad thing is they never did. We're 8 years on from CD - a record they stuffed up the release of and which wasn't the 'real' band to most, and then it's 25 years since UYI. What are they doing? Redoing the UYI tour down to godfather and attitude.

The elephant in the room is that Axl seems to really struggle to develop new material these days. He even joked with Ac/Dc that it would be helpful if someone could send him in some finished great songs.

In my opinion the problem all these years is connected with Axl being in control. I think it just distracts him from the art side too much or creates too much mental pressure or something. That's why nothing got done. The old band sticking around I don't think would necessarily solve that unless they stuck round as equal partners the whole time.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't understand why they thought they needed to do anything in 94. SFTD not required, and the tension caused by Gilby's firing/Paul's hiring was the last thing that should've happened. Iron that shit out privately. Couldn't they see that the world was just recovering from a GNR overdose?

It was Geffen Records and Tom Zutaut, the long-time A&R man, who came back for  a famous spell on CD with Roy Thomas Baker in 2001.

"Zutaut arranged the whole thing and it was a great idea: it's an amazing, classic song, the movie was going to be huge, theoretically, it would get us all in the same room working again, and it would give the public "product" to tide them over. We weren't touring The Spaghetti Incident and we had no plans to start writing a new album, so Tom was being practical - this might be our only new release for a while." (Slash, Autobiography)

Board footer