You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Guitar basics

mitchejw wrote:

Hey all,

I thought I'd set up a post here and see if I could get any advice.

Many years ago I spent my late teen and early twenties in a band. While I believe I grew proficient in the instrument itself, I never bothered to learn about the instrument itself. Things like how to take care of an electric or acoustic guitar, how to gauge an instruments quality, and really anything that would help me choose how to pick a new guitar to purchase.

Just to give an example, over the years the neck of my guitar was starting to twist in one direction making pull-offs and hammer-ones difficult.

If anyone has any info on the topic, or some direction on where to research I would be greatly appreciative.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In terms of quality - for me it's very specific to how it feels - sometimes a  cheap guitar just seems to play well for your style, other times they're awkward and go out of tune every note.

I wouldn't worry about brands too much - although abnormally cheap guitars are often junk - so like if a guitar has a price like $20 it's probably pretty unplayable.

Then again sometimes a name brand guitar just suits you.

Another tip is if the type of music you want needs a lot of whammy stuff you're probably going to need a better instrument. Straight up rock stuff you can play on almost anything but if you're doing controlled dives and bends like VH or Vai or someone it gets pretty hard on cheap guitars.

Some very simple tips I'd have are to avoid subjecting your guitar to situations where the wood might bend - so don't leave it in the sun or expose it to extreme temperatures more than necessary for use. Store them in the case or on a proper stand more than propped against walls.

I found going to a guitar store and getting your guitar professionally set up, along with occasional services makes the world of difference.

Hopefully someone can give you some better tips - I'm not a "handy" type - so my solution was always to outsource any maintenance.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Stew Mac is a great resource...but if the neck is starting to a twist then it might be time to find a new instrument...thats a bit beyond my skill or knowledge...I'd take the guitar to a local guitar centre type of guitar shoplayer and have them look at it

For electric guitars I taught myself a bunch of stuff for basic maintenance...basically I unknowlingly fucked up the setup on my guitar when changing strings...I brought it into Long & McQuade in Canada and I hated the setup I got back

From there I researched and learned how to do my own basic setups...intonation, action, neck relief, pickup swaps, wiring etc etc

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Stew Mac is a great resource...but if the neck is starting to a twist then it might be time to find a new instrument...thats a bit beyond my skill or knowledge...I'd take the guitar to a local guitar centre type of guitar shoplayer and have them look at it

For electric guitars I taught myself a bunch of stuff for basic maintenance...basically I unknowlingly fucked up the setup on my guitar when changing strings...I brought it into Long & McQuade in Canada and I hated the setup I got back

From there I researched and learned how to do my own basic setups...intonation, action, neck relief, pickup swaps, wiring etc etc

After spending some time, I picked up a Gibson with an Austin neck. Picked up a sweet practice amp....almost makes me sound pro sometimes.

I'm having trouble with the puck up settings - treble vs rhythm or both.

I don't know if I like the sound I get so far with the treble. Am I doing something wrong? Rhythm pick ups make me cum in my pants.

Board footer