You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Official band pic

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

I still remember half of you saying Bucket/Ron/DJ/Finck was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Has James gone back and deleted any post before 2016 yet.  16

Actually, I drew a line in the sand with the Ashba era. It was just too much. I can rave on that 2001-02 lineup til the cows come home but each lineup got worse after that.

Also agree with those saying how the 3 guitarists concept basically ruined the chance of anyone stepping up to the plate and properly filling the Slash role in the band.

Nothing was going to recapture the lightening in a bottle of the old band, however, in an alternate world the new band could have been a fulfilling and creative solo endevour for Axl -

It should have been his Audioslave. I always thought it was funny how what Axl was talking about doing in 2001-02 is exactly what Cornell was actually doing with Audioslave.....mainly the three album/tour cycle. It was also accomplished in the time frame Axl mentioned.

metallex78 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Wow. GREAT sign. The fact they would even do this speaks volumes. The lineup is rock solid and they're letting the world know it.

Nice touch not placing Melissa in the background which they so easily could've done. She is right up front with the big enchiladas.

They should've put her at the back. She's useless up there. I see her dancing around flopping her stupid blue hair playing keyboard parts I can't hear, for songs that don't need keyboards.

Yep, I'm not a fan of hers

Were you saying this in the 2001-14 years?

I'm with Zombux....I want new material and hopefully THIS is the lineup that will deliver the goods.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Question, is Axlin16 and Randal Flagg the same person or do they just have similar posting style?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

They are definitely NOT the same person. Flagg was in the military years ago and would talk about how the situation was in Iraq. He was really there.

AXlin lives in Florida I think...or used to anyways.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Question, is Axlin16 and Randal Flagg the same person or do they just have similar posting style?

Different people.

I don't know what their real lives are. However in my head....

Axlin16 is a cool Texan dude with a lot of guns who don't take no shit like in the cowboy movies. Probably secretly an oil magnate or something.

Randal is a bad ass navy seal type guy with crazy skills, sort of like Steven Segal in Under Siege but with a more all-american feel. Maybe Jessie Venture with out the conspiracy issues.

For those keeping score I am an over-weight-drop-bear with kangaroo feet. 16

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Different people.

Axlin16 is a cool Texan dude with a lot of guns who don't take no shit like in the cowboy movies. Probably secretly an oil magnate or something.

Randal is a bad ass navy seal type guy with crazy skills, sort of like Steven Segal in Under Siege but with a more all-american feel. Maybe Jessie Venture with out the conspiracy issues.

Haha yes. The drop bear conspiracy continues!

Right on with those discriptions. But yes. 2 different people.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Different people.

Lol!!!

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

DJ is the worst lead guitarist this band has ever had no contest even Robin Finck is ten times better

There's a big difference between Robin 2002 and Robin 2006 though.

Aside from looking more rock in 2006 he seemed to be able to play a bit better, if you go back and watch a few 2002 boots its actually quite shocking how badly he plays some of the older songs. By 2006 it was more "adding his own interpretation" but in 2002 it's more like "can't carry the melody or play fast enough". By 2006 he was trolling but in 2001 I think he was just fresh from the circus 16

DJ I get the sense that he's a crafted player rather than a natural talent. He plays like someone who studies the instrument and adds in styles of stuff he liked. Much like how his visual appearance is a combination of a few famous things blended together. He's not a very original player but at least he knows the source material! I think people underrate him because that sense of facsimile is so apparent - he's sure not a guitar hero but audio-wise he isn't as bad as people say either.

As for Slash, I find it odd that people could enjoy DTJ but hate the guitar lines in Anastasia, they enjoy Lies but dislike By The Sword, they like Don't Damn Me but hate Wicked Stone.....are you sure you're listening to the guitar parts not the vocals? 18 big_smile

Still, Robin was n`t half as bad as DJ. Dude ( I mean DJ ) can not improvise to save his life, always resorts to tremolo picking and does shortcuts of solos he can not play. I still stand by my statement he blows, Slash slaughters him even with one hand tied behind his back.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Here is what I like about Sweet Melissa, she seems sweet.  She seems to be enthusiastic and fun.  She is seems to be no drama and has good backing vocals.  Is she needed? no. Could Dizzy handle all this shit? yes.  Do I "want" her there? No. But she doesn't bother me any more either.  But on ISE, I see her banging on some shit and I am kind of like "there are no fucking keys on Its So Easy, please sit the fuck down" but I fear saying that would piss off Atari and John and I would be called an oppressor..

That's a nicer way of putting it. I think it's harsh to say she's useless. That's just not true. She may not be an absolute necessity, but to say she doesn't do anything or add anything to the performance is just plain wrong. She clearly plays a big role in singing background vocals. So if you're asking what she's up there for, that at the very least is one area she excels in.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The problem for me is 2002 band played the old material in a completely new way. They were an actual band.

The 2006-2014 band, lesser so when Robin was around, was basically a straight cover of the original Guns. Let them eat cake.

That and DJ got worse and more obnoxious as the years went on.

James Lofton wrote:

Also agree with those saying how the 3 guitarists concept basically ruined the chance of anyone stepping up to the plate and properly filling the Slash role in the band.

It's pointless to talk about New GN'R because the past is the past but I'm not sure I agree.

Buckethead was the new Slash. He's the guy that everyone knew, attracted you to (New) Guns N' Roses, and delivered killer solos.

Robin called Buckethead a stunt solo artist or something like that, which is cynical but still pretty accurate from what we've heard. I never got the feeling that Robin liked Buckethead because he had already put in several years into the band and then Bucket shows up and gets the glory, press, etc. I think Robin is a super talented player and has shown flashes of lead potential but I'd dub him "the Izzy" of that band. And that's not to diminish him, I think Robin is far more important to CD than Bucket like Izzy was far more important to AFD than Slash.

But at the end of the day both Buckethead and Robin are reclusive creative types and most people, or at least GN'R's general demographic, is too close minded to see past the exterior. Slash has always been generally approachable and likable. Snakes, booze, and women fit within your general American male machismo.

Combine that with Axl / the business side of GN'R absolutely bungling every press and marketing opportunity from 2001-2009 (it improved somewhat around 2010) and you have a recipe for disaster. They could have written songs as good as WTTJ and SCOM and it would've been DOA simply because of the Hindenburg tier operating procedures of the band in those days.

Sky Dog wrote:

Melissa is hot as hell and her little hip dances behind the keys are hot as hell....somebody's banging her! axl

Board footer