You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Stay of Execution Album Cover

esoterica wrote:

I don't get the impression they have any intention of reinventing themselves or making music for contemporary audiences.

If they're doing a third leg of the tour, it'll largely be long established GNR fans. The point being, 1995 leftovers are gold to these people so it doesn't matter that they're 20 years old. Michael Jackson had songs in his vault for decades and was set to embark on a whole tour based off of one (This Is It) before his untimely death.

You also have to consider who is in the band. None of these players are virtuosos and have long-established tendencies. I consider the whole thing doubtful but if something is made it'll be GN'R Lies II mixed with AFD II. It could be good but history isn't on their side.

The problem with the Chinese stuff is we don't know what it is. What we do know is Axl was fucking around in the industrial / nu-metal / soundscape genre for awhile and there's probably a full record off of that. If the reports are to be believed there's at minimum another half record. Can you really picture either Duff or Slash wanting to finish the former?

Why wasn't Jackie Chan on the final album? Surely Axl knew the fans liked it...

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yes, all those are totally valid points. the most important thing is now, that they really don't have any intention to move out of their comfort zone, so most probably some long nostalgia tour is all that's coming.
based on reviews, I think almost all show visitors don't care about new stuff anyway (in fact they hate anything new, no matter what it is) and they just want the classic hits. so it's quite a comfortable position for the band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think almost all show visitors don't care about new stuff anyway (in fact they hate anything new, no matter what it is) and they just want the classic hits. so it's quite a comfortable position for the band.

Yeah...and that's why we're not hearing anything about new material, media's not asking about new material, and the general public's not asking for it either.

How many times was CD II mentioned in eight years? It was kept extremely vague for a reason.

Could we get something? Sure. There's just not a huge demand for it beforehand. If they release something, it'll be #1 on the Billboard charts, fans will watch the video on youtube, people will stream the hit single on Rhapsody, and then they'll buy concert tickets to hear the classic hits.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

doesn't look like a lot of the US dates this time around are selling out. hell, i still haven't bought my tickets for the detroit show.

if the band wants to come back around a 3rd time, they will need to bring something with them -- either izzy & adler, or some new fuckin' songs.

my fear is that things go back to usual after this massive tour finally ends. slash & myles back in the studio and axl back in his mansion, ordering pizza while lurking message boards (or whatever he spends his night doing...).

are we in a timeline where dj ashba gets a call back in a few years for another round of touring, or has axl finally made enough money to never have the need to tour again?

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

The people will take what you give them.

If they played 12 hits and 12 whatever they wanted, they would get away with it.

Chinese Democracy was sent to die. We could talk about flaws until the cows come home but there's no reason that album deserved it's reception and it all had to do with politics and the general situation. The aftermarket crowd has been kinder to it but of course, it was already too late.

My main question is did Azoff put the best songs on the record, did he think he could get away with stashing good songs on album two, or did he purposely tank it?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fortus already said they were working on Slash stuff from like 1996. VR had more of a modern feel. Fortus can shred like crazy but nobody wants to really hear that with Slash back. I hope we get some new shit but outside of Slash, Duff, and Axl I question the chemistry.

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

My main question is did Azoff put the best songs on the record, did he think he could get away with stashing good songs on album two, or did he purposely tank it?

so you think axl just submitted a bunch of songs and azoff cherry picked the final tracklist?

i guess that explains why silkworms isn't there... but how the fuck does anyone other than axl look at this and think keeping rhiad and scraped is a good idea?

unless, azoff really did try to tank it. what's his motivation there? just get the damn record out and call it a day?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

doesn't look like a lot of the US dates this time around are selling out. hell, i still haven't bought my tickets for the detroit show.

if the band wants to come back around a 3rd time, they will need to bring something with them -- either izzy & adler, or some new fuckin' songs.

I still cannot get over the fact they scheduled the Boston show the night of the primetime pats/falcons super bowl rematch. May not sound like much to others on the board but it's either a MASSIVE oversight on behalf of Team Brazil/Live Nation or even MORE MASSIVE cockiness.

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

How many times was CD II mentioned in eight years? It was kept extremely vague for a reason.

i'd love to see a "chinese whispers" edition of cd 2/3.

granted, the "trilogy" was mostly just axl & baz bullshit. it's funny listening back to their "joint" interview on howard stern... they were stoned as shit, just a couple of goofballs talking about nonsense. it's easy to picture those 2 in a dark studio room at 3am, playing puff puff pass as baz says "dude...... what if there was THREE ALBUMS?" and axl just loses it.

while a lot of the details about the sequel were vague, the thought of a more aggressive record where robin is heavily featured definitely has me intrigued. did axl ever say whether bucket would be included on cd 2? the general is supposed to be a brain song, so i'd imagine bucket would be all over it. very weird to me that we didn't see this on the album.

honestly, i can't think of any other recorded, unreleased material out there that i'd rather hear. the guns demos from the mid 90s with slash/duff/zakk would be interesting, i guess. outside of guns, i'd love to hear some of the demos layne staley was putting together during his recluse years, but that would probably more sad than good, unfortunately.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

i guess that explains why silkworms isn't there... but how the fuck does anyone other than axl look at this and think keeping rhiad and scraped is a good idea?

Chris Pitman said an interview Silkworms was something to effect of "a vision of Guns N' Roses far into the future and the fans weren't quite ready for that yet". Axl said that CD II was "wilder with more guitars" aka this would be the industrial / electronica inspired album.

Riad's an underrated song. And somewhat a motivation for the album. So it was never getting axed.

dalethirsty wrote:

so you think axl just submitted a bunch of songs and azoff cherry picked the final tracklist?

My guess would be that the final album is a combination of what Azoff selected and what made it through legal aka wouldn't catch the ire of Slash or Duff.

I think the 2007 temporary album artwork shows the album track list was never decided upon or set in stone and that these were probably the list of songs that was last turned into the label.

dalethirsty wrote:

unless, azoff really did try to tank it. what's his motivation there? just get the damn record out and call it a day?

He wanted Axl to get back with Slash. Failed album = call Slash. Slash = more money for Irving.

dalethirsty wrote:

i'd love to see a "chinese whispers" edition of cd 2/3. .

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11368

Board footer