You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: 25 years ago today.....

James wrote:

metallica-black-album-cd-music-500x500.jpg

41449wzjQqL.jpg

The Black album was released. Sent Metallica into the stratosphere. I bought it when it was released....listened to it in full....mind blown. It was obvious with the Enter Sandman single they were changing direction a bit but no one realized just how far they'd go. Only bad song on it is Struggle Within IMO.  Some abandoned the band with The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters but there were thousands of people to take the place of each person who gave up on the band.

My favorite songs:

My Friend of Misery
Of Wolf and Man
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
Through The Never

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Funny, I consider Struggle Within one of the strongest songs. Great riffage, and killer solo from Kirk. Don't Tread On Me is probably my least favourite

The album has stood up pretty well 25 years later. And despite the whole "sell out" tag, it's still a killer crossover metal/rock album.

James

James wrote:

Its their Hysteria....basically every song on it could've been a single. God only knows how they decided(Nothing Else Matters a no brainer) and in which order. I do know Enter Sandman was the correct choice....it may not have had the same impact without that as the lead single.

Bob Rock wanted the first single to be Holier Than Thou. That was vetoed. Smart move. It would've done alright but that's a radio single at best and would never get in constant radio/MTV rotation like Sandman did.

GNR fans talk about how massive that UYI tour was and indeed it was. Metallica did some monster touring for this album as well....1991 to 94.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Amazing album....wherever I may roam was always my favorite track on this disc

James

James wrote:

One other thing....track sequencing is superb. Only thing I'd change is placing Don't Tread On Me as the last song.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I haven't listened to this album in ages, I'm going to take the cd with me the next time I'm on the road. My favorite songs are Of Wolf And Man and The Unforgiven. For some reason The God That Failed always sounded very Load/Reload-ish to me, like it's the sound of Metallica "selling out."

Board footer