You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ragnar
 Rep: 8 

Re: San Diego

Ragnar wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

This is bad. Entire band sucks here. Holy shit.

What's wrong with it? Other than Axl cheating on the screams in the middle...it seems pretty solid...which bits bad?

I don`t like Slash`s rendition of Bucket`s solos as well. He nails Robin`s solo but struggles with Bucket`s.

Either they should make TWAT a setlist staple like they did with Coma, Axl nails it now, or they shouid drop it for good. It`s painful to listen how they butcher TWAT.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I wish it was a staple. I think Axl would improve from doing it often like he's done on some other tracks.

I like Slash's version - the highpart towards the end brings it to a nice crescendo.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think they do TWAT better than CITR.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Fuck the haters. Slash's take on this is fanfuckingtastic.

Better video. Great audio. Slash kills it.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

What's wrong with it? Other than Axl cheating on the screams in the middle...it seems pretty solid...which bits bad?

I would disagree with everything about that..............i don't think he's cheating but rather using full voice and rasp like old days and the screams are one of the best part of song by anyone in the band.

Slash's solos are both ok.....not enough melody in his interpretations of cd stuff IMO

I am not an axl nutswinger,/slash hater, axl sounds terrible on the verses, and I was looking forward to some of these songs with Slash but most still seem to need more work. what most don't get when they say slash is better than ever........yeah , technically and theory-wise maybe but he has definitely lost some of his passion and soul and blues.......which is natural but let's be honest, the solos on these cd songs would have been ten times better 25 years ago.

johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

, technically and theory-wise maybe but he has definitely lost some of his passion and soul and blues.......which is natural but let's be honest, the solos on these cd songs would have been ten times better 25 years ago.

I agree with most of what you said, tho actually I would be a little more enthusiastic & forgiving on both axl & slash on the CD stuff.
(If Slash had input in their creation things would be easier, he'd have transformed them fuller - + you can't polish turd after all wink )

In terms of passion and soul, I think that that has been apparent across the organisation & has been in place since the reunion. Hell the fire dimming is part of the reason this trip is happening.
Which is partly why it's bittersweet. (It's bittersweet for other reasons to).
But I think it's harsh just singling out just slash for the crime, tho I get we're talking about him here. I'd just rather accuse everyone of the same thing while we're at it! You can see it in their body language as well I think, just going thru the motions.. Maybe I'm wrong tho. It is just nostalgia after all, & I mean how much can they relate to it & deliver it at this point? The tunes are undeniable tho, those vibrations are eternal groove so maybe that's force enough..

Again tho, I think maybe on reflection you might see more value in slashs playing these days. It's not just technically that he's shining, the professionalism to his playing brings a new value: authority.
(& tbh I think we're a bit spoiled by buckethead/bbf noodling and shredding that we underestimate just how astonishingly adept slash already was on arrival never mind the astonishing techical prowess your de force UYI albums - my point is he's always been technically a master craftsman & he was as deserving of the title back then as he is now).

Anyway as to his playing in modern times, like I say I think you'll come to appreciate it more. It carries a confidence & an experience that adds further weight: he is a proper bluesman who has survived. He's walked the walk of those who sold their soul at the crossroads. & he's not even a white bluesman like Clapton, he's black ffs he's the genuine thing. He's like junior kimbrough or fuckin son house. He's lived to tell the tale! He should do an all acoustic album!

Get axl to sing on a song or two..

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
johndivney wrote:
war wrote:

, technically and theory-wise maybe but he has definitely lost some of his passion and soul and blues.......which is natural but let's be honest, the solos on these cd songs would have been ten times better 25 years ago.

I agree with most of what you said, tho actually I would be a little more enthusiastic & forgiving on both axl & slash on the CD stuff.
(If Slash had input in their creation things would be easier, he'd have transformed them fuller - + you can't polish turd after all wink )

In terms of passion and soul, I think that that has been apparent across the organisation & has been in place since the reunion. Hell the fire dimming is part of the reason this trip is happening.
Which is partly why it's bittersweet. (It's bittersweet for other reasons to).
But I think it's harsh just singling out just slash for the crime, tho I get we're talking about him here. I'd just rather accuse everyone of the same thing while we're at it! You can see it in their body language as well I think, just going thru the motions.. Maybe I'm wrong tho. It is just nostalgia after all, & I mean how much can they relate to it & deliver it at this point? The tunes are undeniable tho, those vibrations are eternal groove so maybe that's force enough..

Again tho, I think maybe on reflection you might see more value in slashs playing these days. It's not just technically that he's shining, the professionalism to his playing brings a new value: authority.
(& tbh I think we're a bit spoiled by buckethead/bbf noodling and shredding that we underestimate just how astonishingly adept slash already was on arrival never mind the astonishing techical prowess your de force UYI albums - my point is he's always been technically a master craftsman & he was as deserving of the title back then as he is now).

Anyway as to his playing in modern times, like I say I think you'll come to appreciate it more. It carries a confidence & an experience that adds further weight: he is a proper bluesman who has survived. He's walked the walk of those who sold their soul at the crossroads. & he's not even a white bluesman like Clapton, he's black ffs he's the genuine thing. He's like junior kimbrough or fuckin son house. He's lived to tell the tale! He should do an all acoustic album!

Get axl to sing on a song or two..

You make some great points about Slash. Like for all this badass shit Bucket played or Ron or even Finck, Slash hasn't sounded "out of place" really at all. I mean if there is mega shred with sweeps and shit, Fortus is there but Slash proves he can hang with ANYONE. And I knew this for sure, again, in 2012 when Zakk showed up on stage with SMKC and Slash literally blew him off the stage. Zakk was ALL shred. Slash was bluesy shred with soul. See link. Zakk is on Bucket, Bumble level chops. Could play circles around Fortus. But in this clip Slash bests him for sure.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
war wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Ragnar wrote:

I would disagree with everything about that..............i don't think he's cheating but rather using full voice and rasp like old days and the screams are one of the best part of song by anyone in the band.

I mean cheating in that he altered the melody of the screams to skip the highest note.

Don't get me wrong it's still killer that he is screaming his guts out. But he's made the tune slightly easier here by lowering it a little.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

All things considered, is it a surprise that he's sparing his voice to last throughout 4,5 months of continuous touring?

AC/DC kicked off the NA tour leg yesterday night and he's got his work cut out for him - this may be their last tour.

He's got the legacy of Bon and Brian to look out for, and the responsibility to end the beleaguered tour on a high note (forgive the pun).

It does seem like touring with Angus inspires him in a different way than belting out the AFD choice cuts.

Good gig for him, cherry-picking his favorite tunes from the extensive back catalogue, whilst staying on stage for the solos (instead of scurrying for a swag swap) and leaving the ego ramp to Angus. And that sea of lighted horns is vast.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

All things considered, is it a surprise that he's sparing his voice to last throughout 4,5 months of continuous touring?

AC/DC kicked off the NA tour leg yesterday night and he's got his work cut out for him - this may be their last tour.

He's got the legacy of Bon and Brian to look out for, and the responsibility to end the beleaguered tour on a high note (forgive the pun).

It does seem like touring with Angus inspires him in a different way than belting out the AFD choice cuts.

Good gig for him, cherry-picking his favorite tunes from the extensive back catalogue, whilst staying on stage for the solos (instead of scurrying for a swag swap) and leaving the ego ramp to Angus. And that sea of lighted horns is vast.

[/embed]

What he is doing is beyond epic. Killing it for what many would say are currently the 2 biggest bands in the world is insane.

This was only 5 days prior to the AC/DC show.

Board footer