You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: GNRSucks.com (Closed due to bike update etc)

Will wrote:

gnrsucks.com

To all visitors/ GN'R fans:

No... this site isn't going down just yet.

So let me tell you about this kid who is a GN'R fan since 1991. I know... Not an 1987 headbanger but 1991 is decent.
So he grew up listenning to GN'R and some other bands, but GN'R stuck like no band! He had CD's Vinyl, Cassetes, Interviews, Bootlegs, TV Specials, all the usual stuff for a GN'R die-hard.
After 8 years without a single GN'R show booked, or record (it was 2001) and now 20 years old, this kid went to Rock In Rio III in Brazil to witness the return of the best frontman of all time: W. Axl Rose. Just being in the middle of 250.000 people to witness the so hyped come back, this kid had the chance to experience a life changing concert, where the magic was clearly in the air. After waiting for 8 years for anything, this could mean only one thing. THEY WERE BACK! Finally!

No one could doubt that Axl had had his time to reinvent himself and GN'R and that the GN'R Machine was clearly starting up once again.

So basically, you know the story and all it's little details, and rare pictures, loads of rumors, etc..

Fast forward to 2008 and I can't understand why that kid, who was 20 years old back in Rock In Rio III is still waiting for THE album of his life. Chinese Democracy. The myth...

That kid is me. 27 going to 28 now. I could never imagine that 7 years after Rock in Rio III, 2 years after their last european tour, and some years after all the CD STARTS NOW(?) tours, every single GN'R fan is still waiting to hear the album that is supposed to redefine music and the one chance for Axl Rose to prove himself to the world without his original lineup.
I'm a huge GN'R fan (Old and New GN'R) and for the past months I'm not even that curious about anything anymore.. The hype came and went away during those past tours, and now, the only GN'R news coming in and being discussed are some roadies' stolen bike.

I find it sad, that for months now, there has been no interesting topics in any GN'R forum regarding the development of the album, news from the band or anything for that matter. It's sad that something you KNOW has great, great chances of being one of the best albums ever, is simply a myth. Yeah... I know it exists! But that's all WE know.

So I've decided to shut down gnrsucks.com until the album has at least a definitive release date. I tried and tried to make a kickass website, one of the best out there, for the past year, but everytime I tried to get things going, I just felt so down and kept asking myself: "Why am I going to make a great website, if there's nothing useful (besides information like lyrics, discography etc) to update it with?"

So, friends, this isn't a goodbye. It's just a "see you later" until there's something interesting to talk about.

Take care and come back then. Thank you for all the support for the last 10 years.

We'll be back "soon"

I don't blame lourenco one bit and can understand his reasons

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

and the forum backlash begins again 18

Oh boy, it sure is.   Surely we can all understand how he feels and it does get rough to keep interesting topics going on a band that has so little to talk about.

Maverick
 Rep: 2 

Maverick wrote:

That is a shame.  I would say if all the sites did it maybe it would send a message to the GN'R camp, but sadly I don't think that would happen.  It seems like they couldn't really care less about us at this point.

Part of me understands because of so much negativity going on on some of the boards, but really, where does that negativity come from in the first place?  A lack of respect for the hardcore fanbase.  sad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

As Yogi Berra would say:

Its like Deja Vu all over again....

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I completely understand where he's coming from.  I know when we were talking about renaming this board, I wanted to suggest not even naming it based around GnR.  I know I speak for alot of people here when I say that I don't come onto the forums (wekk this one anyway) for gnr news anymore.  I come here to have good conversations with good people.

AtariLegend wrote:
Tommie wrote:

good conversations with good people.

Those good people wouldn't be here if there wasn't a GNR section in the first place.

As for www.gnrsucks.com, until that happens at either MYGNR or HTGTH, then it won't make a difference.

James

James wrote:

Yeah, a name without GNR in the title was considered when we relaunched.

We went the "safe" route instead.

Like you, I enjoy the discussions in the other sections.  Nothing wrong with this section of course, but I like talking about other things going on in the world with the group of people here. I don't even post as much at non GNR sites anymore because I can talk about those things here.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

As for www.gnrsucks.com, until that happens at either MYGNR or HTGTH, then it won't make a difference.

Sure it does. That site closing down in 06 got media attention and played a big role in the late 06 backlash and Axl finally speaking.

Don't assume that the "big boys" hold all the power.

Maverick
 Rep: 2 

Maverick wrote:

I'm just impressed with the GNR internet fandom in general.  I mean, what other band is there that can endure endless silence and continue to maintain SEVERAL fan sites with large member lists? 

Talk about die-hards.

Board footer