You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Listening to GNR under the influence of drugs

Will wrote:
disclaimer wrote:

This thread is not intended to promote drugs, only hoping to stir up some discussion about GNR and how the music differs whilst under the influence of drugs smile

I mentioned earlier today in this thread that I intended to roll a few joints and listen to Use Your Illusion I & II in their entirety, for the first time in over a year (at least).

I guess Velvet Underground said it best with "Hes never early, hes always late, First thing you learn is you always gotta wait", translating to: my dealer didn't show hmm So my question to any GNR fans out there is how the music relates to you whilst under the influence of drugs?

If my dealer shows up tomorrow I have a 3 hour window open where I intend to roll a few joints, sit in the dark on my own and listen to UYI in full. If anyone has experiences of listening to GNR whilst under the influence I'd love to hear them. I've never listened to UYI when stoned, though thinking about the albums now I think they may be pretty cool, especially songs like Breakdown, Locomotive, ummm... My World 14

If this thread generates a few replies I may tell the tale of when I listened to Appetite and woke up to a £600 fine wink

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I listened to UYI under the influence of Meth, weed, alcohol, codeine,etc. Was a heavy drug user as a teen, and drugs really intensifies the listening experience. Was blown away by the Illusions when they were first released.

One of the most intense listening experiences I ever had was while listening to The End by the Doors while drinking wine and codeine cough syrup. It was like a religious experience/moment of clarity, and for that brief moment in time, all was right in the world.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I've listened to Gn'R under the control of a few drugs. With weed the songs are just more intense and for me I mainly listen Slash and Izzy's guitar work. Listening to great guitar work while high on premium shit is an amazing experience. Makes it come alive. On coke well its coke so basically it was like my own mini rock concert just rocking out and having a fun old time.

But drugs are bad.. Weed is the only thing I am on now. Maybe ill pop pills once n a while.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I used to listen to alot of tunes while high on mushrooms & weed...can get pretty intense as you latch onto a certain aspect of the music and just ride it..kinda like pride&glory just said about the guitars

havent done any drugs in a long time though 2 years at least hmm

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good points on how being high will make you concentrate on certain aspects of songs. There's a low bass line in Wild Life by Talking Heads that is superb while intoxicated.

Like downliner and BLS said, definitely a disclaimer here. Drugs are not good and are VERY dangerous(especially when used in combinations like I used to do), so I'm not really trying to glamorize it or anything. Just speaking from experience.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bucketfoot
 Rep: 4 

bucketfoot wrote:

I'm high on life. That's when I listen to GNR. Praise Jeebus.

Sky Dog wrote:

You can find it all inside, no need to wrestle with your pride, no...you ain't losing your mind your just in the GARDEN.:rock:

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Good points on how being high will make you concentrate on certain aspects of songs. There's a low bass line in Wild Life by Talking Heads that is superb while intoxicated.

Funny you mentioned the Heads.  Once In A Lifetime (particularly the live version) is a trip if you are stoned and Love For Sale has that same sort of bass line that is drunk-friendly.

Back to GNR....Coma is one of the songs (obviously) that killed me when I was on a heavy buzz, for some reason the drums more than anything.  It was like a trance yet peaceful or like Pink Floyd would say...comfortably numb.  Lies (the whole EP) can't be put down either when the buzz is peaking, don't know why exactly but it is hypnotizing.

nugdafied wrote:

Now this is a thread! One of my favorite pastimes times is smoking a little of the dank & listening to GNR on my stereo headphones. AFD is obviously great in any state, but a little stoned and you can just zone in on Izzy & Slash's guitar play. You're Crazy off of Lies is just amazing as well in an enhanced state.

Board footer