You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: US Politics Thread

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/cultura … nese-ties/

I wonder if all the people accusing Trump and those who didn’t accept the Steele dossier on faith “traitors” or “treasonous” have an opinion on the guardian of all information in the English language aiding China.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I certainly don't live in the cheapest place to live and I have plenty of friends and family in Illinois with far more complaints about their state/local taxes and none with the federal cuts.  Maybe you were in a unique situation.

Yea, that’s the issue. He lives in Chicago and has been able to deduct the incredibly high taxes Chicago has from his federal taxes. The tax law changed all that. I guess some people don’t really believe in paying “their fair share.”  Can someone remind me again of what party has complete control over Chicago politics?  Seems like maybe some of the angst over property taxes should be directed locally.

I live in the burbs. I’d have to look at my precinct vote, but it’s about even out here between Dem and Republican, especially some of these richer ‘hoods nearby.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Also my wife works from home and has for 16 years. All that we pay for her to do so is no longer deductible.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Also my wife works from home and has for 16 years. All that we pay for her to do so is no longer deductible.

Not judging and obviously it doesn't matter now but what were you deducting? I used to be self employed years ago and deducted some stuff then, but I work from home now for a company and don't deduct anything.

Randall Flagg

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I certainly don't live in the cheapest place to live and I have plenty of friends and family in Illinois with far more complaints about their state/local taxes and none with the federal cuts.  Maybe you were in a unique situation.

Yea, that’s the issue. He lives in Chicago and has been able to deduct the incredibly high taxes Chicago has from his federal taxes. The tax law changed all that. I guess some people don’t really believe in paying “their fair share.”  Can someone remind me again of what party has complete control over Chicago politics?  Seems like maybe some of the angst over property taxes should be directed locally.

I live in the burbs. I’d have to look at my precinct vote, but it’s about even out here between Dem and Republican, especially some of these richer ‘hoods nearby.

Apologies as after re-reading my own post it conveyed a level of snark I didn't mean for it to.  Regardless of the makeup of your suburb, the taxes are still extraordinarily high.  I personally believe the myriad of deductions that were previously allowed only enabled people with the income to hire a CPA to do their taxes to prosper.  Local taxes shouldn't be deductible to the extreme from your federal taxes, regardless of where you live.  I have a hunch local municipalities will have to start to reign in their taxes after their population begins to question where their local tax dollars are going.

Randall Flagg

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Not judging and obviously it doesn't matter now but what were you deducting? I used to be self employed years ago and deducted some stuff then, but I work from home now for a company and don't deduct anything.

I work from home one day a week.  Is there something I should be deducting because of this?

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I work from home one day a week.  Is there something I should be deducting because of this?

You can deduct all sorts of stuff if you have a home office. Equipment, hardware, software, etc. Also it helps if your employer doesn’t have everything you need to do the job. In our case, it’s a small employer that doesn’t have a full arsenal for every employee. The space you use at home is supposed to be for that purpose only.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Apologies as after re-reading my own post it conveyed a level of snark I didn't mean for it to.  Regardless of the makeup of your suburb, the taxes are still extraordinarily high.  I personally believe the myriad of deductions that were previously allowed only enabled people with the income to higher a CPA to do their taxes to prosper.  Local taxes shouldn't be deductible to the extreme from your federal taxes, regardless of where you live.  I have a hunch local municipalities will have to start to reign in their taxes after their population begins to question where their local tax dollars are going.

It seems to me that you’re making the assumption that we do t already know what it’s being spent on. It also seems you’re making the assumption that it’s not worth the price.

Even with our allegedly high taxes, it’s still pennies compared to what i pay federally. At least i get something back from my local taxes....the federal government does nothing for me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Even with our allegedly high taxes, it’s still pennies compared to what i pay federally. At least i get something back from my local taxes....the federal government does nothing for me.

This is fascinating.  You pay a lot to the federal government and it does "nothing for" you, yet you want policies that will give the federal government more money and assume this time they are going to do something for you with it?  Absolutely fascinating.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Welp, no indictments or collusion... Mueller case is closed. Now we really focus on MAGA.

Board footer