You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: US Politics Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

Most of America is better off than they were 4 years ago. This can’t be debated. Of course our economy is a house of cards that could fall at any moment.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Most of America is better off than they were 4 years ago. This can’t be debated. Of course our economy is a house of cards that could fall at any moment.

It can't be debated? Sure it can. I WAS in the journalism industry. Nearly all my close friends lost their jobs. And of course tens of thousands of others.

See how easy that was.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It can't be debated? Sure it can. I WAS in the journalism industry. Nearly all my close friends lost their jobs. And of course tens of thousands of others.

See how easy that was.

Not debating with you because I have been through job elimination before and it's not fun, but tens of thousands is a drop in the bucket.  I will also say that both times it happened to me, I ended up in far better positions making far more money, but I realize that may be the exception to the rule. 

Industries ebb and flow.  Seeing how much of a joke the mainstream media is, I personally hope true journalism makes a comeback.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

See how easy that was.

Is your profession indicative of most of America?  I assume his claim is valid since unemployment is down, the stock market is at a record high, and average wage is at an all time high.

Without defining the criteria to determine “better off”, it can be argued. But if we use the metric we’ve collectively used for some time, I certainly think so. We’re certainly not worse off. Mental agitation because a man on TV makes you angry isn’t a metric I’d use to define “better off”.  He’ll be out of office in 21 months.

Are you friends losing their jobs because print media is dying?  Corporations buying up smaller papers and putting everything in syndication?   Lack of diversity in the newer news mediums?  My job got outsourced to India 20 months ago. It was terrifying and embarrassing. I got another one within a month and moved on, because unemployment is low and wages are up. Is it my dream job, of course not. But it pays for the lifestyle I enjoy.

Automation is coming, and it’s going to displace everyone within 30 years for the overwhelming majority of occupations. There’s an Oxford study I’d be glad to link if anyone is interested.

But considering a foreign power isn’t presently attacking our democratic institutions while the President and his intelligence agencies do zilch, North Korea isn’t launching missiles and detonating nukes, ISIS is defeated and there’s no significant military conflict involving American forces, GDP continues to rise, bellies continue to get fuller and warmer, I’d say we’re doing better.

Now if you want to argue Trump gets zero credit for it, that’s a separate argument. But yea, we’re better off.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

See how easy that was.

“Most”

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

See how easy that was.

“Most”

Americans saving rates are plummeting, at about 3% now. Americans’ debt is rising, it hit a record this year. Health care premiums are up for virtually everyone, and that is a result of Trump. That’s off he top of my head.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Wait, wait.  Healthcare premiums are up as a result of Trump?  That's an interesting take.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Wait, wait.  Healthcare premiums are up as a result of Trump?  That's an interesting take.

He and the GOP are continually eroding it, you know that.

There’s a whole website that tracks it. https://www.cbpp.org/sabotage-watch-tra … ne-the-aca

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There’s a whole website that tracks it. https://www.cbpp.org/sabotage-watch-tra … ne-the-aca

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Obamacare hadn't been forced through.  Sorry, that's all on Obama and the Dems, even if things happened afterwards that they didn't do.  They screwed it up big time, which opened the door to whatever happened next. 

This is what happens when politics becomes all about winning instead of doing what's best for the people.  There's no attempt at compromise, so we all pay the price.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Obamacare hadn't been forced through.  Sorry, that's all on Obama and the Dems, even if things happened afterwards that they didn't do.  They screwed it up big time, which opened the door to whatever happened next. 

This is what happens when politics becomes all about winning instead of doing what's best for the people.  There's no attempt at compromise, so we all pay the price.

because healthcare is about....letting Americans die...because....the invisible hand???

Board footer