You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: US Politics Thread

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The tax return demands is nothing more than a game of political oneupsmanship. Mueller just cleared Trump of collusion, if there was anything in his returns, it would have came out then.

This is political grandstanding that will result in nothing more than the children of the DNC spreading more rumors and conjecture that isn’t based on fact. Mnuchin is right, and no court is going to find for the Democrats on this, especially after Mueller declared no collusion.

They want this to selectively leak information to attack Trump, not to govern or legislate.

Buzzsaw is right. Both parties have been absolutely abhorrent the past decade, and only the truly partisans fail to see it.

Trump isn’t going to be impeached or indicted. Beat him at the election booth under the rules of the constitution.

You can take the politico article I linked earlier and swap Holder for Barr and Republicans for Democrats, and it’d read exactly the same. If you don’t see that, you’re the one with blinders on.

Blow me...

So you’re telling me as a self-proclaimed constitutional scholar that congress can only ask for tax returns in certain situations?

Again, blow me...

I’m long past caring about winning any elections...i didn’t vote in 2018 and i have no plans to 2020. This miserable shit stain of a country with s long past saving. If a politician offers a plan or policy to hurt someone else i might listen. Other than that...i don’t give a shit about my neighbors anymore.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Right...trump should never have to do anything he doesn’t want to do...because he’s so rich, white and bigly.

You defend his actions and behavior at every turn don’t you? Then in a few posts you’ll claim you’re not a supporter.

There's no action here to defend. He's under no obligation to do something just because people think he should.  I didn't and will not vote for the guy, but I don't have this personal vendetta against him like you do.

Every President for nearly the past 50 years has released their tax returns in an effort of transparency. Unlike his claim, Trump is the least transparent president of our lifetime.

FTR, there isn't anything in the 'constitutional' that Obama had to release his birth certificate either, only that a President needs to be born in the US. Trump chose to go full Alex Jones stupid on that one. Now the tables have turned & he's a big fraud.

No no no Pa...don’t point that stuff out. Only our faults matter.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

The House has voted to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress over his failure to turn over documents related to the Tax Return scandal, the first time Congress has taken such a dramatic move against a sitting Cabinet official.

The vote was 255-67, with 17 Republicans voting in support of a criminal contempt resolution, which authorizes Democrats leaders to seek criminal charges against Barr. This Republican support came despite a round of behind-the-scenes lobbying by senior White House and Justice officials - as well as pressure from party leaders - to support Barr.
Two Democrats, Reps. Steve LaTourette (Ohio) Scott Rigell (Va.), voted against the contempt resolution.

Another civil contempt resolution, giving the green light for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to sue the Justice Department to get the Tax Return documents, passed by a 258-95 margin. Twenty-one Republicans voted for that measure.

But dozens of other Republicans marched off the floor in protest during the vote, adding even more drama to a tumultuous moment in the House chamber.
The passions of the day were evident inside the Capitol, where Republicans accused Democrats of ginning up the contempt vote for political purposes while Democrats continued to charge the Justice Department with a cover up on the Tax Return scandal.

The fight over the Barr contempt resolution also drew intense interest from outside groups ranging from the NAACP to the National Rifle Association.

“Today’s vote is the regrettable culmination of what became a misguided – and politically motivated – investigation during an election year,” Barr said in his statement. “By advancing it over the past year and a half, Congressman Issa and others have focused on politics over public safety. Instead of trying to correct the problems that led to a series of flawed law enforcement operations, and instead of helping us find ways to better protect the brave law enforcement officers, like Agent Brian Terry, who keep us safe – they have led us to this unnecessary and unwarranted outcome.”

Barr added: “Today’s vote may make for good political theater in the minds of some, but it is – at base – both a crass effort and a grave disservice to the American people. They expect – and deserve – far better.”

White House officials also slammed House Democrats for the unprecedented contempt vote. White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer said Democratic congressional leaders “pushed for political theater rather than legitimate congressional oversight. Over the past fourteen months, the Justice Department accommodated congressional investigators, producing 7,600 pages of documents, and testifying at eleven congressional hearings… But unfortunately, a politically-motivated agenda prevailed and instead of engaging with the President in efforts to create jobs and grow the economy, today we saw the House of Representatives perform a transparently political stunt.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The House has voted to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress over his failure to turn over documents related to the Tax Return scandal, the first time Congress has taken such a dramatic move against a sitting Cabinet official.

The vote was 255-67, with 17 Republicans voting in support of a criminal contempt resolution, which authorizes Democrats leaders to seek criminal charges against Barr. This Republican support came despite a round of behind-the-scenes lobbying by senior White House and Justice officials - as well as pressure from party leaders - to support Barr.
Two Democrats, Reps. Steve LaTourette (Ohio) Scott Rigell (Va.), voted against the contempt resolution.

Another civil contempt resolution, giving the green light for the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to sue the Justice Department to get the Tax Return documents, passed by a 258-95 margin. Twenty-one Republicans voted for that measure.

But dozens of other Republicans marched off the floor in protest during the vote, adding even more drama to a tumultuous moment in the House chamber.
The passions of the day were evident inside the Capitol, where Republicans accused Democrats of ginning up the contempt vote for political purposes while Democrats continued to charge the Justice Department with a cover up on the Tax Return scandal.

The fight over the Barr contempt resolution also drew intense interest from outside groups ranging from the NAACP to the National Rifle Association.

“Today’s vote is the regrettable culmination of what became a misguided – and politically motivated – investigation during an election year,” Barr said in his statement. “By advancing it over the past year and a half, Congressman Issa and others have focused on politics over public safety. Instead of trying to correct the problems that led to a series of flawed law enforcement operations, and instead of helping us find ways to better protect the brave law enforcement officers, like Agent Brian Terry, who keep us safe – they have led us to this unnecessary and unwarranted outcome.”

Barr added: “Today’s vote may make for good political theater in the minds of some, but it is – at base – both a crass effort and a grave disservice to the American people. They expect – and deserve – far better.”

White House officials also slammed House Democrats for the unprecedented contempt vote. White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer said Democratic congressional leaders “pushed for political theater rather than legitimate congressional oversight. Over the past fourteen months, the Justice Department accommodated congressional investigators, producing 7,600 pages of documents, and testifying at eleven congressional hearings… But unfortunately, a politically-motivated agenda prevailed and instead of engaging with the President in efforts to create jobs and grow the economy, today we saw the House of Representatives perform a transparently political stunt.

Burn em at the stake.

Finally they’re actually doing something instead of sitting around with thumbs up their asses.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Burn em at the stake.

Finally they’re actually doing something instead of sitting around with thumbs up their asses.

Hahahahaha. I knew you’d take the bait hook, line and sinker. You’ve just proven in one post what I’ve been saying for a year.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Burn em at the stake.

Hahahahaha. I knew you’d take the bait hook, line and sinker. You’ve just proven in one post what I’ve been saying for a year.

You're extremely loose conclusions are not accurate.

You're still somewhere in mid-March when Trump claimed total exoneration based on nothing but his stooge AG....

yup...these people who thing they're above any type of accountability need to be burned at the stake.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

yup...these people who thing they're above any type of accountability need to be burned at the stake.

Then you'll have to burn them all on both sides of the aisle, which I am all for.  Mitch finally said something I can agree with, even though it isn't at all what he thought he was saying.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Buzz, I'm not quoting your post because it's a page or so back, but I totally agree with most of what you say about healthcare. It's screwed up. I don't have an answer. I do know that I think the cost of health care, drugs, rooms, even getting an education that gets you into the industry is incredibly overpriced and rising at astonishing rates. Why? I wish I knew.

I don't have a suggested plan. Universal healthcare? Sounds good. Who pays? We all do with higher taxes. I don't think dismantling what we have without giving the people who rely on it something else is wise. COBRA is laughingly expensive, and that's what many of my friends have had to do before the ACA.

You clearly have a much more intimate look at this topic with a deeper knowledge. I can only speak to what my dozens of laid off friends and family members have gone through. It's been shitty and as you say probably will remain so.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Then you'll have to burn them all on both sides of the aisle, which I am all for.  Mitch finally said something I can agree with, even though it isn't at all what he thought he was saying.

It's rich vs. poor, really. Lawmakers are all rich politicians. The class divide is where's it's at.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Buzz, I'm not quoting your post because it's a page or so back, but I totally agree with most of what you say about healthcare. It's screwed up. I don't have an answer. I do know that I think the cost of health care, drugs, rooms, even getting an education that gets you into the industry is incredibly overpriced and rising at astonishing rates. Why? I wish I knew.

I'd like to take a stab at this...

In general, we have a government philosophy and zeitgeist of the past 35 years that has been all about tiny government, pour money into the private sector.

We apparently keep choosing this until shit hits the fan and then we get an Obama type. Obama rose to political power because the Conservative way of running our economy blew up again.

Republicans = loyal to the extremely rich and corporations
Democrats = that, but lite

That's the way 'we', the public keep wanting it. We vote for these people repeatedly. This is no one's fault but our own.

Here comes average Joe American. Joe's a decent guy but has to choose what to do with his money. Average Joe struggles on a daily basis and can't really give much thought to tomorrow, let alone next year or old age. But then Joe starts getting older and begins to experience the complications of age OR is diagnosed with cancer.

We have free market capitalism occurring though, and free market capitalism doesn't spontaneously produce quality healthcare because consumers treat healthcare like a trip to McDonald's.

Rewind: 24 year old Joe says, I can't afford this and I'm young so why do I need it?

Fast Forward: 60 year old Joe needs preventative medicine to prolong the use of his kidneys. Decided it's not worth it and rolls the dice.

Fast Forward again: 68 year old Joe needs dialysis and the dialysis company says CHA-CHING!!! This guys has to come here 3 times per week for the rest of his life and we keep cashing in. Week after week, month after month, year after year. And if Joe lives to an average age he'll make it close to 80. Hell yes! that's 12 years of cashing in....not to mention any other ailments he needs helping.

But Joe never put into the system. But now he expects everything out of the system.

So now Gary, age 35 with three kids pays for it all.

In the end we either all buy in and stick to it or we just fuck each other over forever. Because free market capitalism doesn't produce quality healthcare. It never will. Good, quality healthcare requires skillful professionals who deserve to be paid just like any other professional. The demand for it is enormous. The supply doesn't keep up.

So you have an epidemic where we have something in this country that we all eventually want and need...but no one is willing to pay for.

Says something about our culture if you ask me.

Board footer