You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: US Politics Thread

PaSnow wrote:

Fyi Andree Yang was on Chris Wallace Fox News Sunday. Pretty softball interview, cant say he sold me on it, but if ur a fan worth checking out. I think its Flagg who is.

Also he interviewed Mick Mulvaney & pulled out an incredible stat, in Obamas 2nd term he reduced deficit spending by -11%, in Trumps first 2 years its been +15%.

Mulvaney said its a result of Dems in Congress and the Senate & Pres are helpless due to needing 60 votes. Wallace reminded him he had a GOP congress the first 2 years

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Jesus Christ can Trump just shut the fuck up for one second.

I can’t believe some see him as a victim. At some point, when you pick a fight with anyone and everyone, people will retaliate.

Which came first...the chicken or the egg?

At some point (not today), I will go back and look at your other responses because I remember being surprised that you put some though into them.  This one?  Not so much.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I can’t believe some see him as a victim. At some point, when you pick a fight with anyone and everyone, people will retaliate.

At some point (not today), I will go back and look at your other responses because I remember being surprised that you put some though into them.  This one?  Not so much.

You can probably save your take then.

Trump has been an entitled douche for half a century.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

You can probably save your take then.

Trump has been an entitled douche for half a century.

He has.  Most of that time he was a democrat though, so it was okay then.  Everyone knew it during the election cycle, and he won anyway.  Now some people would rather cry that he got elected by a bunch of racist, sexist white guys than admit that their candidate was just as flawed as he was (just in different ways).  They're so busy trying to point the finger at someone else so they can sleep better at night knowing that they did this to themselves and if they aren't careful history is going to repeat itself. The more they vilify the right, the more they rally them to the polls. Sure, they may not talk as loud, but they will show up. The Democrats are so splintered by the squad and their extreme leftist views that will never fly in this country that they are sabotaging their own chances at beating what should be a very beatable candidate. When the crazy people don't get their way (again), they will stay home pouting.

This just in: most rich people are entitled douches.  Most maybe not as publicly as the president, but does that somehow make it better?

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Rather than reply to one of mitch's posts since they have more or less played out, I want to hear how people that support the minimum wage increase to $15 think it's going to play out.

Will the people making the new minimum wage be able to live comfortably on $15/hr?

What will happen to the people currently making $15/hr doing more skilled jobs?

I have more questions, but lets start with what should be the simple ones.  I am not an economist, but what the common sense take tells me is this will result in people making $15/hr living the same as people currently making minimum wage; people making more will effectively have less as they will not get raises to keep the pay gap where it is based on the skill required for their roles.  Essentially what this will do (in my opinion) is keep the poor poor and bring the middle class closer to the poor. I'd love to be wrong.  I'd love to hear how this will somehow make the poor become middle class with the change, but I have yet to hear one credible person say that.

By credible, I don't mean a politician (just for clarity's sake)...

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Tilab has already started advocating for a $20 minimum wage.  It’s a horrible idea because if you’re not worth $15 an hour now, your job is one of the first to be automated. Realistically, McDonalds could be entirely automated with existing technology. They’ve already replaced cashiers with iPads.

I’m not against raising the minimum wage, but minimum wage was never meant to provide a livable wage for adults with families. No one wants to tell people if you’re too poor to provide for yourself, you shouldn’t be having children. No one wants to acknowledge that admitting millions of economic migrants isn’t helping them when all low skilled jobs are automated over the next 10 years.

You can’t walk into any modern warehouse without seeing completely automated systems. Customer Service is being replaced with automation. The entire trucking and rail industry could be automated tomorrow if their union and lobbies didn’t have friends in congress.

Bernie Sanders can’t even afford to pay his staff $15 an hour. Yet somehow he’s a voice on implementing this nationwide?

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Tilab has already started advocating for a $20 minimum wage.  It’s a horrible idea because if you’re not worth $15 an hour now, your job is one of the first to be automated. Realistically, McDonalds could be entirely automated with existing technology. They’ve already replaced cashiers with iPads.

I’m not against raising the minimum wage, but minimum wage was never meant to provide a livable wage for adults with families. No one wants to tell people if you’re too poor to provide for yourself, you shouldn’t be having children. No one wants to acknowledge that admitting millions of economic migrants isn’t helping them when all low skilled jobs are automated over the next 10 years.

You can’t walk into any modern warehouse without seeing completely automated systems. Customer Service is being replaced with automation. The entire trucking and rail industry could be automated tomorrow if their union and lobbies didn’t have friends in congress.

Bernie Sanders can’t even afford to pay his staff $15 an hour. Yet somehow he’s a voice on implementing this nationwide?

The McDonalds argument always cracks me up. A company Wawa has been entirely automated for 10 years and they are thriving, and hiring. Staff just got better reassigned. Instead of some rando asking what you want on your hoagie, you type it into the kiosk. Obvi the sandwiches are made to order, and employees not robots make them, so they're better staffed. And people still pay cash or buy other things like chips & soda, so there's still cashiers. It's not become a vending machine.

It's kinda like a 7-11, only better. Stores probably average about 6-10 employees on a decent shift, larger stores closer to 20-30 at a time. No fear.

I agree having kids while 19 & in poverty is not going to help people, and probably need better PSA's about the downside to early/teen pregnancy as a whole.

Customer Service they've been talking about getting rid of since the early 2000s, problem is Americans want someone to yell at (believe me, I spent too many years in the industry. It fucked with my head).  It'll never goto India and never be fully robotic. If anything, it's making it worse for CS reps because the easy calls "Hi I'd like to pay my bill" are now handled by automation, leaving only the angry nimrods who haven't paid their bill for 4 months yet are now shutoff are still getting thru to humans, leaving them to deal with the shit.

Most $15/hr plans are 5-7 year trajectories, not overnight. We let too much time lapse in the early 2000s without raising it until Obama finally raised it for the first time since I think the 90s.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've only stopped at WaWas to get gas. 16

I don't think that's really comparable to mcD's. I'm not sure about franchise fees either.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

The McDonalds argument always cracks me up. A company Wawa has been entirely automated for 10 years and they are thriving, and hiring. Staff just got better reassigned. Instead of some rando asking what you want on your hoagie, you type it into the kiosk. Obvi the sandwiches are made to order, and employees not robots make them, so they're better staffed. And people still pay cash or buy other things like chips & soda, so there's still cashiers. It's not become a vending machine.

It's kinda like a 7-11, only better. Stores probably average about 6-10 employees on a decent shift, larger stores closer to 20-30 at a time. No fear.

I agree having kids while 19 & in poverty is not going to help people, and probably need better PSA's about the downside to early/teen pregnancy as a whole.

Customer Service they've been talking about getting rid of since the early 2000s, problem is Americans want someone to yell at (believe me, I spent too many years in the industry. It fucked with my head).  It'll never goto India and never be fully robotic. If anything, it's making it worse for CS reps because the easy calls "Hi I'd like to pay my bill" are now handled by automation, leaving only the angry nimrods who haven't paid their bill for 4 months yet are now shutoff are still getting thru to humans, leaving them to deal with the shit.

Most $15/hr plans are 5-7 year trajectories, not overnight. We let too much time lapse in the early 2000s without raising it until Obama finally raised it for the first time since I think the 90s.

WaWa is so overrated. But do they all make $15 an hour?  WaWa is a convenience store. It’s the easiest thing in the world to automate. I’m aware state regulations require ID checks for booze and smokes, but we have biometric readers at customs to skip the line. I’d wager that tech could be leveraged to get people out of WaWa faster too.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I've only stopped at WaWas to get gas. 16

I don't think that's really comparable to mcD's. I'm not sure about franchise fees either.

They're actually not franchise. I believe they're not even a corporation, just family owned & well run.

Far better than McDs. Grab a hoagie or Sourdough next time. Italian Sourdough melt is so so good.

Board footer