You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: US Politics Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

Good to see mitch is still tarding up the thread.  I tried to engage him in actual discussion; his lack of interest in that just proves his time is up.  Boot him or close the thread so he can't fuck it up any more.  Either way is fine with me.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Good to see mitch is still tarding up the thread.  I tried to engage him in actual discussion; his lack of interest in that just proves his time is up.  Boot him or close the thread so he can't fuck it up any more.  Either way is fine with me.

Wtf is wrong with you?!

Maybe you could start another rousing conversation about Yang.

roll

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

What part of this over? Jesus Christ you guys are frustrating.

You’re right...it’s over...let’s talk about obscure primary candidates....

Several posters on this board are exactly a sample of why i don’t bother voting anymore.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I had an epiphany...if Biden wins the primary, it will have basically picked John Kerry and will lose the election by a narrow margin.

After seeing Mueller I think we need to come to terms that around 70-72ish sboo ould be a pretty firm cutoff for high office. I think Liz Warrens close but handles herself well. Biden is def not the same. I dont think he wins it anyway. Its Harris or Warren, book it.

I heard Harris might go moderate in an effort to seperate herself feom the pack. Will be interesting to keep an eye on in the next debate. FTR there shouldnt be 20 candidates again, drop it down to 10.

How can Harris go Moderate now after going far left. You must be true to who you are. A change now would come off as phony, right??

I may have misremembered this part, maybe it was Klobuchar they spoke of, becoming a more outspoken & proud moderate. We'll see, will be interesting to follow tomorrow night, but otherwise yeah it may have been Klobuchar they spoke about.

Not backtacking, wasn't really my opinion or prediction either.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

What did you guys think of the debates. I couldn’t watch tonight, so I’ll try to get caught up tomorrow.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

The format was terrible. I watched a bit online, they really tried to trim the responses down to like 30 seconds, it was just like 'Whuut?' then onto the next person.

Some of the non-heavyweights seemed to do pretty well tho. John Delaney made a good name for himself imho. CNN wrote him as a 'winner'. Amy Klobuchar needed to knock some punches around, just came up lame. Beto was another snoozefest.  Again, wasn't a fan of the Q&A requesting quick responses. Wasn't sure if that was planned or mentioned at the beginning, but in the time I watched (30ish minutes off & on and in the background) thats what happened.

I noticed a few distance themselves from liberal policies (free college, abolish private healthcare), so that was a noticable shift.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I think Eric Swallwel has his best performance yet.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Rather than reply to one of mitch's posts since they have more or less played out, I want to hear how people that support the minimum wage increase to $15 think it's going to play out.

Will the people making the new minimum wage be able to live comfortably on $15/hr?

What will happen to the people currently making $15/hr doing more skilled jobs?

I have more questions, but lets start with what should be the simple ones.  I am not an economist, but what the common sense take tells me is this will result in people making $15/hr living the same as people currently making minimum wage; people making more will effectively have less as they will not get raises to keep the pay gap where it is based on the skill required for their roles.  Essentially what this will do (in my opinion) is keep the poor poor and bring the middle class closer to the poor. I'd love to be wrong.  I'd love to hear how this will somehow make the poor become middle class with the change, but I have yet to hear one credible person say that.

By credible, I don't mean a politician (just for clarity's sake)...

Here you want to response?

At first, maybe the first year or two,  people who suddenly make $15 an hour after making seven dollars an hour will experience a newfound buying power. However, overtime, the prices of things will adjust and essentially make an increase in the minimum wage void.  $15 of buying power will eventually become the equivalent of having $7.50 of buying power.

So it’s a temporary solution at best.

There was a middle size company in Seattle that experimented with this several years ago. The owner made minimum-wage at his company $70,000 a year.

At first, the people who are already making that or more were spiteful and eventually left. At first it seemed like a mistake, but relatively quickly the people who filled those holes filled the gap and eventually performed at the relative same level as their counterparts who would just quit.

The conclusion I draw from all of that is, our economy is based on a bunch of bullshit.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

What a mess. U.S. was a major player in getting the Good Friday agreement done. They invested a lot of time, effort and money on the issue and I expected a response like this. This Brexit stuff just seems like a bad move for everyone involved.  Scary times ahead I fear.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-mess-g … 31491.html

Sky Dog wrote:

Donald and Boris! What is there to fear? Throw in Vladimir and Rocket Boy and we are safe and sound. tongue

Board footer